User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Good news for cross-border shoppers...

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I had heard about the limits changing; however, I don't think it'll affect how much I personally spend over there. What's in my budget to spend is in my budget to spend and that's not gonna change just because they're increasing what I can bring across. LOL. I guess it might make a difference for those who live further away from the border-- that is, under the current limits, it isn't worth it for them to cross because they don't save as much once you factor in gas and time and such...ergo, new and higher limits could make cross border shopping more feasible.

I go across 1X month or so with DH and the kids. We make an afternoon outing of it and go for supper and do some shopping. We are never away for more than 5 hours at a time and there have been plenty of times when we'd exceeded the limit. But never in an obscene kind of way. We may be $100 or $200 over the limit or something like that. Like other posters, we always declare everything. I hand the customs people my pile of receipts so it's all there for them to see. I think we've only been charged duty once and that was because DH brought back an 18pk of beer and I think you can bring back 12 cans (not 18) when you've been away less than 24 hours.

I buy fewer groceries and cleaning products over there than I might otherwise simply because as another poster pointed out, I can do just as well or better over here using my coupons. Perhaps if I had access to US coupons, the story might be different, but I don't, so it isn't.

I tend to buy a lot of clothes over there. Even with combining sales and coupons here, I gotta be honest-- Canadian retailers simply can't complete. Then again, what "Canadian" retailers are left? heck! Evenour own Tim Horton's franchise is American owned, is it not??

As for patriotism? Off the top of my head, I can think of one buy local slogan.

(Feel free to sing along, fellow Ontarians....)

"Good things groooooow, in Ontarioooooo!" That's the 25+ year old Foodland Ontario tune reminding us to buy local produce.

And those of you in the 35+ age group may remember the "Buy Canadian" campaign, (circa 1982) when buy canadian tv commercials and newspaper ads urged you to buy Canadian products and every pair of snowmobile boots I had was stuck with a red and white label that said "Made in Canada."

So we did have a "Buy Canadian" campaign...it just didn't last much longer than a year or two.
    lecale likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Never really did this, but I am Glad to hear about the increase !

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Eh? What about international? Not that I'm planning to buy more than $400.

I agree, they don't care much about groceries. They are more concern with stuff with resale value, such as handbags and wallets. It's to protect the local businesses.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    My dh would just die with even the thought of paying duty !!!
    $400 x 4 people is a lot of money to spend in a weekend for us!!! Lol
    You're right, it is! However, now you can stay 24h and bring 200$x4 (no alcohol however).

I must admit, between DH & I (400$ x2), we did go over a few times... Most of these however are planned shopping/package pick-up trips, so we often order many things on the Internet beforehand, some of which are pricey: ATV tires, home reno stuff, kitchen stuff.

FYI, when staying under 24h, the official exemption is 0$, nada, zilch! In real life, border guards will often let slide a certain amount. I don't know if that will change with the more generous 24h exemption.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Happy June 1. New duty limits take effect today Here's a great site for US-based printable coupons for your next trip:
    http://hip2save.com/
    I recently wrote an article for my blog myfriendtellsme on ways to save on diapers for baby.

For this and other articles on budgeting, saving and maximizing reward points, please visit. My hope is to help others learn tricks of the trade that have really helped me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information