User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mole Removal??

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Has anyone gone through it at the doctors office? How do they do it? Do they use freezing of any sort? Will I have to have someone drive me home after?
    I have one that was supposed to be removed last year but I have been procrastinating because of other health issues. Now the appearance of it is freaking me out a little. I've already been to the doctor and they said they think it's just a weird looking mole but I am thinking it's time to make the doctor call and have it done so it can be tested and I don't have to worry about it. I just get freaked out by medical procedures...and scarring because it's in an odd place but more freaked out by actually having it done and being awake and watching while they do it.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by roseofblack25; Tue, May 29th, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Natalka likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I had one removed last summer on my back. No freezing they do it with a hole punch looking thing...at least with mine No stitches
    my son had a big one and they froze the area and used a scalpel and then stitched it...he went back the next week to have them removed. His was pre cancerous!!! So scary!!
    My advice is just do it!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

No freezing? I had one done once, with freezing and stitches. I totally got freaked out about it, but I didn't look (lay on the bed and stared at the ceiling) and it did scar. At the time I got completely grossed out about it and covered it with a band-aid until she took the stitches out.

I know....baby. Just one of the many reasons my parents knew I wasn't cut out to be a doctor.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    No freezing? I had one done once, with freezing and stitches. I totally got freaked out about it, but I didn't look (lay on the bed and stared at the ceiling) and it did scar. At the time I got completely grossed out about it and covered it with a band-aid until she took the stitches out.

I know....baby. Just one of the many reasons my parents knew I wasn't cut out to be a doctor.
    This is me. I hate any and all medical type things. Just having a doctors appointment give me anxiety LOL! I was told it's in a spot that is highly prone to scarring so there will be a scar no matter what. I'm just worried about it being a pitted type scar.
    To make it worse it's on a um sensitive area of my body...and it's fairly large (larger than the end of an eraser on a pencil).
    Last edited by roseofblack25; Tue, May 29th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Rose of Black! I'm glad you are getting the procedure done! If you tell the dr. that you are very anxious - they might give you "a little something" to relax you - like I got when I had to have an MRI. Believe me - the scar is a lot less scary than what the alternative might be if you ignore it. (I hate to be blunt.) Perhaps you could get hypnotized before the procedure. How about meditation?
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Rose of Black! I'm glad you are getting the procedure done! If you tell the dr. that you are very anxious - they might give you "a little something" to relax you - like I got when I had to have an MRI. Believe me - the scar is a lot less scary than what the alternative might be if you ignore it. (I hate to be blunt.) Perhaps you could get hypnotized before the procedure. How about meditation?
    I think they might know I really don't want it done since I haven't made the appointment yet after having issues with it last year LOL! I've had the mole forever and it's been checked by a dermatologist but they just said watch it in case it changes. The doctor saw it last year and said if it bugged me or changed I could come back and have it done. It periodically crusts over and bleeds I think because of where it's located on my body, so maybe it's just better to get rid of it...I'm researching removal haha! I have been all night because I really want to get rid of it but at the same time not really looking forward to it.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I was fine ..had it done on my lunch break

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Of course it depends upon what type it is and where it is.... I had one removed on my face - upper cheekbone - it was frozen first, then he actually had to add more freezing because there was more root and he had to dig a bit (I know, ew..., but one should be prepared). I had a few stitches. Now there is just a fine white scar (sometimes it's itchy!).
    NOTE, my sister who is a nurse urged me to get this done by a plastic surgeon since it was on my face. Not that a dermatologist can't do a good job (and I had a good one), but she just ensured I got the best plastics guy I could.

I do have another mole on my face - to the side, below my lip - that I wanted taken out as well, but he would not do that as it was just cosmetic. I guess I could have gotten it done if I wanted to pay everything to have it done.

We're a very moley family, so pretty much all of us have had one or two out at some point. Just need to keep a big watch on them all!

Rose, it's just better to get it done - sure, any procedure can make one anxious, but it's actually done pretty quickly! Good luck!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

A plastic surgeon did mine and my son's.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 12:03 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Always depends, size, location, better to have it gobe though

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Natalka made a good point: moles have roots. I had one taken off my back near the top of my bra band, and he really had to dig to get the root of this baby. The thing was like a 1 cm carrot! It made a prominent, depressed scar. I had it done in the GP's office with freezing. So...if you are worried about the scarring, do not have a GP do it!
    There is something I never thought of...roots ugh! I think it's just the location freaking me out. If it was my back or leg or something I wouldn't be so creeped out by it. It's on my chest on a tender part near where a bra band would sit, so I am guessing that is going to hurt just a tad bit lol

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 12:04 PM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have had three moles removed and three skin tags. The skin tags they just snip off with a scalpel but the moles were frozen with stitches. Two of the moles were on my neck/shoulder region and raised... I don't think he (the dermatologist) got the "root" because where the scar is there is a small little brown/black dot in the centre. I am a very moley person (when I was in junior high my friends played connect the dots on my arms) and I get mapped every couple years and anything weird gets looks into. The worst part is the semi-pinch of the needle. Definitely get it looked at - it is better to have it dealt with although the idea of the procedure can be worrisome.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've had two removed, one on my shoulder and one on my face (actually it was basal cancer), both times I had a plastic surgeon, freezing, and now, no noticeable scars...perhaps like Natalka said, a very fine white line, but unless someone knows it's there, they can't see it. I think it's more frightening than what the actual process is...you will feel nothing during the procedure, so no worries there. When the freezing leaves, you may feel something akin to a burning sensation...understandable, considering what that area went through, but nothing more.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information