User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Sewing Machine? Need Advice!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greencanuck View Post
    You can save about 75-90% on the price (plus very high shipping costs for a heavy object) if you buy a local used basic sewing machine.

It helps if can have a friend who does sew help you check it out.
    He/she could also help you through the first steps of learning.
    Ask some of the people you know.
    I honestly dont know ANYONE who can sew. I wish I did, it would have saved me lots of money over the years! lol. I'm not worried about shipping costs since wm.com has free ship to store and amazon.ca has free shipping on many items, including sewing machines.

I was more asking for advice on what features to look for, brands to stay away from, things to keep in mind, etc. I love the tip about the free arm! Definately want that since I'll be making little dresses etc.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

I find Kenmore (Sears brand) & White are both very good machines.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I would definitely look for a Kenmore or Singer. I don't have experience with Brother, but know lots of people have them.
    I lucked out at a yard sale, buying a Singer with full cabinet, tons of accessories, and stool for $50! It's a basic machine which does more than enough for my 'very basic' sewing skills!

Definitely you should check Kijiji or whatever selling site is popular in your area. It also won't hurt to put a 'looking for' ad in. Are you on Freecycle? That would be worth a try as well.
    Frankly, I think a lot of older women have machines they aren't using anymore and there should be some out there for low cost. Remember, for a starter machine, there's nothing wrong with getting one which is 25 years old, either - they were really built to last then, too!
    Good luck in your search!

I found this at Sears online for a great price -
    http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-...1#BVRRWidgetID

At CT
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...=en#product_aa

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You stand a better chance of using your sewing machine if you can find one that isn't too complicated. This doesn't mean getting the most basic and inexpensive one. There is a learning curve when it comes to operating one of these and you'll need to learn what is specific to your model. Just like learning how to knit, it really helps to have someone show you how it's done. If not possible, then look to Youtube tutorials!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Yes, I'll definately check out youtube! Plus I've already put some books on hold at the library and started researching online and reading reviews.

I checked out kijiij but again I'm pretty sure I wont go that route. Most of the machines on there are $60+, and then I take the chance of missing parts or it being broke or no manual etc. I'd rather use my amazon.ca codes and get the $139.99 (Brothers) one for less than $60 OOP (I have around $75 in amazon.ca credit right now). They also have one for $79.99 (it's a brothers too just older model) that looks good but it's unavailable right now. I'm hoping to see that in stock soon, that way I'd be paying practically nothing OOP. Would just need to buy fabric etc.

I just want something fairly small, not looking for a table or all the bells and whistles. I'll probably use it on the kitchen table after I put the kids to bed at night, so I'd need to be able to put it up on the shelf when I'm done.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:38 PM.
    Natalka likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I have one of those fancy many-kind-of stitches sewing machines and NEVER use those settings. I agree with the others here that basic is best if you are just starting out. I would definitely watch for plastic parts...the less the better...

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

honestly i'd stay away from a kajiji/yard sale model.. often the machines need a tune up and the tune up alone can run you easily $50! i'd also stay away from the mini model the smaller it is the harder it is to get a solid sew with it.. you don't want to feel cramped while trying to sew (think an adult trying to ride a little kids trike) i have a singer.. and it's served me well for 8yrs now! (i think it's the similar one to what costco is currently carrying just an older model)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I finally got into the sewing store near me. WOW! I doubt I'll ever go back. Their cheapest machine was $299 for an Anna basic model. The woman was nice but everything was super costly. Some machines were over $2000! eeeeeep! They didn't even have any names I recognized, they only carried Husqvarna, Anna and a P one (Pfatt or something). I asked about Singer or Brothers and she said there are no dealers in the area, but WM might sell them.

I even priced out fabric squares and they wanted $3.99 for 4! I went online and found a bunch on etsy.com for way cheaper!

I guess that store is more for the "pro's".

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Just a tip, I think those fabric squares you are talking about may be "fat quarters" which are normally sold that way to quilters.
    Unless you are making a quilt block and are looking for small pieces of various colours, you would be better to look at fabric by the meter. If you have a Fabricville near you check out their discount tables and watch for sales. Fabric for clothing is definately not cheap and often it is cheaper to buy the clothes already made rather than making them yourself. Best of luck.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

walmart has perfectly suitable machines.. mine is a singer bought at walmart.. costco sold the exact same machine the following year.. kenmore is a bit better quality (singer used to be the top of the line sewing machine brand but they have gone down hill.. still a good machine though!)

for fabric i'm a huge fan of the discount wall.. fabricland has one and most locally owned stores have them i was very very sad when walmart discontinued their fabric department (i LOVED LOVED LOVED their 1.97 bin, i got most my fabrics from there)
    Natalka and nightlite like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I plan on making 2 child size quilts for each of my kids, so that's why I was looking for the fabric squares. Since I'm just starting out, I wont have the time or $ to build my fabric stash right away so I thought of just buying the squares to get my quilts started.

I've checked out our fabricland here, and they have sales quite often so I'll definately be shopping there on sales days. I recently bought fleece from the bargain bins and made both my kids one of those no sew blankets and a pillow for dd. All the fabric was less than $10! And some was even carebears, which DD loves.

So yes, I'll be sure to shop around for fabric too.
    Natalka likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I finally got into the sewing store near me. WOW! I doubt I'll ever go back. Their cheapest machine was $299 for an Anna basic model. The woman was nice but everything was super costly. Some machines were over $2000! eeeeeep! They didn't even have any names I recognized, they only carried Husqvarna, Anna and a P one (Pfatt or something). I asked about Singer or Brothers and she said there are no dealers in the area, but WM might sell them.

I even priced out fabric squares and they wanted $3.99 for 4! I went online and found a bunch on etsy.com for way cheaper!

I guess that store is more for the "pro's".
    Somehow I missed your plan to go to a local sewing machine store.
    I could have warned you about the pricing.
    When you have been sewing for quite some time and want the quality and precision of a lifetime machine, those stores are there for a clientele who desire their service, knowledge and products- at a premium price.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:10 PM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Update: I finally bought a machine!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Sew...-2663/10992861

After a lot of research, I narrowed down what I wanted and this was one of the ones I wanted to check out while in the US. When I got to the store it was on clearance for $75 so I bought it.

I also got some "fat quarters" for $1 at WM and more at Big lots for 2 for $1. I was hoping to find some of the squares (like 4x4) but didn't see any so I got the Fat Quarters instead (they were a lot cheaper than here in the specialty store I went to).

WM also had tons of fabric so I picked up 2 yards of each of Winnie The Pooh, Strawberry Shortcake and a plain yellow colour. All for $15 (thought that was pretty good). They have a big clearance section with fabrics for as long as $1 per yard!

Anyway, just got everything home last night so I haven't set up the machine yet but pretty excited too! All in all, I think I have about $100 in with the machine and fabric.
    nightlite, lecale and ssbean like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information