User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: BEST mosquito repellent ???

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

http://puresoapworks.com/carbolic.htm

Wash with carbolic soap. I'm really allergic to mosquito bites to the point where they swell like crazy and I get nasty infections, have to go to the doc for cream that costs like $80 a small jar, and then the bites heal and leave nasty permanent scars. I was told by the doctor last time to use the soap and they won't bite because they don't like the smell or something like it makes you smell less human to them so they leave you alone. I haven't actually tried it, but I see they even have testimonials about it repelling mosquitos! They are like 1.99 a bar at the Bulk Barn.

I'm planning on trying it the next time I go to a bonfire or staying out at night, because the last time I went to a bonfire I was wearing bug spray but they still got me through my pants and all over my feet and ankles. My legs swelled up and all the bumps swelled to the size of cherry tomatoes and were about the same colour and really hot to touch. I had to go to the doctor and she told me I was seriously allergic, gave me a prescription for the expensive cream and told me about the soap as a cheaper alternative for next time.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post

Wash with carbolic soap. I'm really allergic to mosquito bites to the point where they swell like crazy and I get nasty infections, have to go to the doc for cream that costs like $80 a small jar, and then the bites heal and leave nasty permanent scars. I was told by the doctor last time to use the soap and they won't bite because they don't like the smell or something like it makes you smell less human to them so they leave you alone. I haven't actually tried it, but I see they even have testimonials about it repelling mosquitos! They are like 1.99 a bar at the Bulk Barn.
    Really!? Thank you for the suggestion! I have the same reactions as you do and they literally swell up into the size of eggs on me. I'll definitely give it a try someday.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    125 (100%)

thx for the info..

relly good idea about spraying the cloths !

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    There is no safe level of DEET, just like there's no daily allowable sugar limit on nutrition labels. It absorbs into the skin and affects the central nervous system. Health Canada has banned DEET levels over 30% and recommends a concentration of 10% or less on children between 2 - 12 and applied no more than 3 times a day.

When we're at the cottage, I put the clothes on the concrete floor, spray them, then put them on. That limits the amount of skin contact. I make sure arms and legs are covered and also wear a hat. Every day we go out, I respray and rewear those same clothes (officially dubbed my "outdoor clothes"), and change indoors. I stay out as little as possible with the "skeeters".

Hopefully, where you're going it won't be as extreme, but when you're cleaning newly caught fish outside, mosquitoes literally swarm around us by the tens of thousands. Not for the faint of heart.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    125 (100%)

the orignal one?

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    My mom uses Listerine in a spray bottle...I thought she was nuts when I saw her but it worked...when we go outside she sprays the chairs etc with it and I guess they don;t like the alchahol smell or whatever but it keeps them at bay.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    125 (100%)

wow thx alot!
    i did a little search and the store is like 10 mins drive form my house!

defff gana take a few bars!

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post

I'm planning on trying it the next time I go to a bonfire or staying out at night, because the last time I went to a bonfire I was wearing bug spray but they still got me through my pants and all over my feet and ankles. My legs swelled up and all the bumps swelled to the size of cherry tomatoes and were about the same colour and really hot to touch. I had to go to the doctor and she told me I was seriously allergic, gave me a prescription for the expensive cream and told me about the soap as a cheaper alternative for next time.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am skeptical about any alternatives to deet for mosquito repellant. I use Deep Woods Off when I can't get away with not using spray. For the most part, I wear a lot of clothes outside in the summer, even when it is really hot. My gardening outfit is jeans, heavy canvas (ugly green) jacket, clogs, denim hat, and gardening gloves. I make quite the statement. I swell up something fierce with bites and they itch like crazy.

All this talk about skeeters reminds me of when I was in grade 8. I fell asleep while suntanning and, the one and only time I wore a bikini, the mosquito bit me on my chest. It was horrible...it looked like I had a third boob. Traumatic, to say the least.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

My MIL uses the bounce sheets - I'm not sure if it is the bounce sheets that they do not like or the fact that she looks crazy - sheshoves them in the straps of her bra, hanging out of her pockets and she clothes pins two in her hair - I couldn't believe it - she did get the occasional bite but for the most part it worked.

I myself am a DEET fan - I use OFF deep woods on myself and on the kids its skintastic - I used to use AVON's Skin So Soft which works amazing but I haven;t found an Avon lady in years

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We don't have a lot of mosquitos where we live,but if I'm having a party outside in the evening,I use listerine. I spray it on all the fabric and it really works well. Had a dinner party on Wednesday and stayed outside until very late in the evening and no one was bothered at all.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Off is very good, but it feels a bit sticky at first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information