User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: I really hope all our Ontario friends are ok....Mall roof collapes!

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I did watch the late news about it last night, seemed to only be 2 people missing then. but the Mayor of Elliot Lake did call a state of Emergency. That Mall is the only one they have.
    hollyquaiscer and danger_dan like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I can't recall anyone on here (SC) saying they were from Elliot Lake but I do know that it is a "retirement community" of sorts. Lots of retirees live in that community. Only having one mall may mean that they have to get things like food and clothing brought in until the mall can be rebuilt. It's not clear to me right now what the community would need. I'm sure that Red Cross and Mennonite Relief will be there if they are needed. It's very sad to hear that there are 2 people missing - but really - it looks like it could have been much worse, casualty-wise.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I hope those two missing people are found safe.

Edit: CBC is now saying 1 is believed dead, with another missing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...-collapse.html
    Last edited by DaveP; Sun, Jun 24th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Awww. That's horrible.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I feel so bad for anyone in that mall. I hope they find survivors! None of our malls have parking on the roof....do most malls have roof parking? I dont travel much, but it just seems a little freaky having tons of steel and concrete and vehicles over your head.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

This is so very sad. We have 2 friends that live in Elliot Lake, but I mad contact with both of them last night and they are both fine. I have seen this happen all over the world and felt so sad, but I never thought it would happen in Canada. It really hits home and makes me think of how precious our lives are.

I am sending prayers to the families of the deceased person and the one still missing, and would ask that my SC community do the same. Losing a loved one is terrible/
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

What a tragedy - as gameprogirl said, I've never heard of roof parking, either.
    gameprogirl likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I was in disbelief when they said they were stopping rescue after two days - then so very glad that Dalton made sure that it would continue. Don't know what the heck was up with the local officials - I'm betting there will be an inquiry.

So one body recovered, name not announced. I'm sure more news will come out during the day today.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and the community as they go through this terrible time.
    gameprogirl and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Right now "at least a dozen people are unaccounted for".....absolutely horrible...this is very close to us, just 2hrs up the trans Canada hwy...so sad...One body was recovered early this morning...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...ssible-victims
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Rescue efforts compared to third world country responses...and WE fall short!!!

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...lack-of-action

How was this allowed to happen!?
    Obviously an inquiry will be called for, and I hope heads roll!!!
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    136 (100%)

I actually grew up in a small town 30 minutes away from EL. My friends and I spent many hours there both at the mall and the movie theatre... It's surreal to think of it as gone, I was at the mall last about 2 months ago when I went home to visit my parents... myself, my mother and my child went to do some shopping... There are so many good childhood memories that include that mall.

But honestly the place should have been fixed ages ago, my last visit there ceiling tiles were missing and buckets were collecting water that was falling from the ceilings, you could see the cracks in the cement and mold in the bathroom... it was really disgusting. I would have never expected this tragedy, however it doesn't surprise me after being in the mall!

The one thing I am greatful for is that my sister who part time works at a business upstairs in the mall was not there this day... her co worker however was and is one of the missing... It's terrifying how easily and quickly your life can change and how something as simple as my sister being home sick with a sore throat might have saved her life.

EL is a wonderful community and my thoughts and prayers are with the people there. Also with the rescue workers, doctors and nurses who will hopefully soon have someone that needs their help.
    Last edited by Deanc; Wed, Jun 27th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

my thoughts are with the families as well.. we do have one mall here that the parking is underground. I couldnt' imagine that happening here.. its an extremely busy every single day.. 1000's of ppl shop there every day.. it would catasprophic.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanc View Post
    I actually grew up in a small town 30 minutes away from EL. My friends and I spent many hours there both at the mall and the movie theatre... It's surreal to think of it as gone, I was there last about 2 months ago when I went home to visit my parents... myself, my mother and my child... There are so many good childhood memories that include that mall.

But honestly the place should have been fixed ages ago, my last visit there ceiling tiles were missing and buckets were collecting water that was falling from the ceilings, you could see the cracks in the cement and mold in the bathroom... it was really disgusting. I would have never expected this tragedy, however it doesn't surprise me after being in the mall!

The one thing I am greatful for is that my sister who part time works at a business upstairs in the mall was not there this day... her co worker however was and is one of the missing... It's terrifying how easily and quickly your life can change and how something as simple as my sister being home sick with a sore throat might have saved her life.

EL is a wonderful community and my thoughts and prayers are with the people there. Also with the rescue workers, doctors and nurses who will hopefully soon have someone that needs their help.

Dean, one of my hubby's golfing buddies told him this morning that a building inspector was there 3 days before the collapse and said it met all standards!! That may be one head that rolls!!
    So glad to hear your sister wasn't there that day...but it's so unfortunate that there are still missing people..my prayers go out to them...

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:41 PM.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information