User Tag List

Page 18 of 239 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast
Like Tree4019Likes

Thread: All Purpose Politics and News Thread

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Anyhoo I am over this convo, it's another left versus right argument that I don't wish to pursue.
    May I ask why it's left v right?

I took a few courses in Atmospheric Chem in Uni, back in the day before Al Gore invented the interwebby thing. It was interesting to see some examples of "climate change" over the centuries. And while I agree that modern man and his pursuits add variables to naturally occurring climate change, it's not the sole cause. And too many people lose sight of that.

Here are a few reasons why I am very skeptical when it comes to news reports about climate change.

Carbon Tax Fraud
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...62T45420100330

Skepticism over NASA data
    http://business.financialpost.com/20...limate-change/

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/201...e-change-fray/

It's a shame that climate change cannot be discussed in purely scientific terms, but always has to be reduced to a right v left issue.
    Natalka and DaveP like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Getting much worse over there.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...si-sit-in.html

Riot police swept in with armoured vehicles, bulldozers and helicopters Wednesday to clear two sprawling encampments of supporters of ousted president Mohammed Morsi, sparking running street battles elsewhere in Cairo and other Egyptian cities.
    Egypt's health ministry says 149 people have been killed.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

^^Yep, they're sliding quickly into civil war. What a mess.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    ^^Yep, they're sliding quickly into civil war. What a mess.

There will never be peace in that region. Not in my lifetime.
    DaveP likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Veteran camera-man killed in Egypt

Deane - who was born in Hannover, Germany - had been part of Sky News' team covering the clashes with Middle East correspondent Sam Kiley. None of the other team members had been hurt, the broadcaster said.
    In a statement Mr Ryley said: "Everyone at Sky News is shocked and saddened by Mick's death.
    "He was a talented and experienced journalist who had worked with Sky News for many years. The loss of a much-loved colleague will be deeply felt across Sky News."
    He added: "Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family. We will give them our full support at this extremely difficult time." Prime Minister David Cameron paid tribute to the journalist on Twitter, saying: "I am saddened to hear of the death of cameraman Mick Deane... My thoughts are with his family and the Sky News team."
    Sky's foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall described Deane as "a friend, brave as a lion but what a heart… what a human being".
    "He was a friend. Our hearts go out to his family. He died doing what he'd been doing so brilliantly for decades."

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    May I ask why it's left v right?
    Certainly, moreso in the USA, the right Wing, especially the Religious Right , tend to downplay any scientific evidence regarding the effects of climate change.

I've even some some of the Rapture Ready people decry the notion of CC simply because it WON'T affect them because they think they are going to be in a "Better Place". Other RR-ers believe that CC is one of the conditions needed for The Rapture so trying to change society's habits and attitudes towards greenhouse gases and other pollutants is anti-God's will and should be avoided.

I'm never seen left-wingers as vocal in thier reduncations of CC as the right-wing are. I do know some left wing CC-deniers and some right-wing advocates of pollution control, though. They don't seem to bring the same amount of passion to the table and they dissappear compared to the shouty-people.

Another problem is that science isn't taught properly. The average person doesn't understand how hypotheses are evolved and the supporting experiments and data models play into the putting forward of a theory and how it has to undergo peer-review before being announced.

And that further more science is evolving in complexity all the time. We know more about our solar system now than we did when we put Armstrong and Aldrin on the moon.

The events we record now, we could have missed in earlier times. We are constantly adding more data points and refining the whole CC models. The fact that we can discount the effects of a butterfly because there are more subtle events happening doesn't absolve that butterfly of causing a hurricane nor does it mean that the original model is flawed beyond belief.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

An incredibly offensive and hateful letter was sent to the family of an autistic teen in Newcastle, ON.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/08/18/fa...n-with-autism/

Pic of the letter that was sent: https://twitter.com/lennonandmaisy/s...290434/photo/1

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Harper to prorogue Parliament until October

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/08/19/ha...until-october/
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I'm never seen left-wingers as vocal in thier reduncations of CC as the right-wing are. .
    How interesting becuase I never seen so many left wingers obsessed with anything as global warming. to the point, they are willing to keep changing this 'scienfitic evidence' to convince themselves it exists.

7 years ago: More hurricanes, more tornadoes, massive heat
    Now: Less tornadoes, less hurricanes, colder temps

Global warming is being used as excuse IMO for an authoritative government.
    DaveP likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Stephen Harper that P.O.S. is proroguing government again!!!!

Always trying to dodge a bullet. When is the next election?

http://globalnews.ca/news/788947/har...until-october/

Prime Minister Stephen Harper will prorogue Parliament until October.
    Speaking in Whitehorse on his annual tour of Canada’s North, Harper said he intends to prorogue until the fall and bring back Parliament with a throne speech in October.
    Sources tell Global News to expect the House of Commons to resume after Thanksgiving, which falls on Monday October 14.
    The announcement means the House will not resume in September as planned.
    The prime minister says most of the promises the Conservatives made in the last election have been fulfilled.
    He says the time has come for the government to put forth a new parliamentary agenda.
    Harper says the Conservative government will remained focused on the economy.
    It’s not the first time Harper has used prorogation, a standard parliamentary tool that has the effect of cancelling any legislation that’s still before the House.
    RELATED STORIES

In December 2008, Harper prorogued rather than face a vote of non-confidence when his Conservatives held a minority government and the Liberals, New Democrats and Bloc Quebecois were threatening his grip on power.
    He prorogued again the following year, halting House of Commons committee hearings into the treatment of Afghan detainees and killing a number of pieces of legislation.
    - with files from Laura Stone

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    Harper to prorogue Parliament until October

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/08/19/ha...until-october/
    Sorry I didn't see your post until I had posted mine.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    An incredibly offensive and hateful letter was sent to the family of an autistic teen in Newcastle, ON.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/08/18/fa...n-with-autism/

Pic of the letter that was sent: https://twitter.com/lennonandmaisy/s...290434/photo/1
    Yeah there are better ways to tell a neighbor there is a problem. There are also 2 sides to every story.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    How interesting becuase I never seen so many left wingers obsessed with anything as global warming. to the point, they are willing to keep changing this 'scienfitic evidence' to convince themselves it exists.

7 years ago: More hurricanes, more tornadoes, massive heat
    Now: Less tornadoes, less hurricanes, colder temps

Global warming is being used as excuse IMO for an authoritative government.
    Yep. This anthropogenic global warming/climate change theory is like a religion to the far left loons. Do NOT question it! Never mind that the climate has always been changing and always will be changing as long as the planet is here. HUMANS are to blame! If humanity had risen to todays level of knowledge and technology at the time of the last ice age the loons would probably be shrieking that it was the end of the world because the North American ice sheets were melting.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Stephen Harper that P.O.S. is proroguing government again!!!!

Always trying to dodge a bullet. When is the next election?
    Are you really that intent on another Conservative majority Patty? Because with the libs and NDP at each other's throat that's what it's sure to be.

Personally, I'd love an election tomorrow. You?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Yep. This anthropogenic global warming/climate change theory is like a religion to the far left loons. Do NOT question it! Never mind that the climate has always been changing and always will be changing as long as the planet is here. HUMANS are to blame! If humanity had risen to todays level of knowledge and technology at the time of the last ice age the loons would probably be shrieking that it was the end of the world because the North American ice sheets were melting.
    Honestly I would not worry about the global warming thing anymore, for the most part, it's been rejected. There are BIGGER scarier things coming down the road, all being done in the name of security.
    DaveP likes this.

Page 18 of 239 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread Information