Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Rest in Peace
    Nelson Mandella

Name:  isbn9780753825488-1x3a.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  23.1 KB

Huffington Post wrote,
    Former South African President Nelson Mandela, who served 27 years in prison for anti-apartheid activities and led his continent into a new era, has died at age 95.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, Dec 5th, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Momof3girlies and Patty Smyth like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

[QUOTE=Shwa Girl;5747216]Rest in Peace
    Nelson Mandella

Name:  isbn9780753825488-1x3a.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  23.1 KB

He became President of South Africa when he was 77! A senior citizen! So all you SCers who are around his age, you can still do great things.
    Momof3girlies likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

- other Mandela postings should go in the News thread -

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/358744-...3/#post5747381
    Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Dec 5th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

RIP Mr. Mandela. An inspiration to all.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Actress Eleanor Parker died Monday at the age of 91 - she was the Baroness in "The Sound of Music"

She had been nominated for three Oscars in her career
    1950 film "Caged"
    1951 "Detective Story"
    1955 in "Interrupted Melody"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4415730.html

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Lawrance of Arabia star Peter O'Toole dies

Peter O'Toole, the charismatic actor who achieved instant stardom as Lawrence of Arabia and was nominated eight times for an Academy Award, has died, his agent said Sunday. He was 81.
    O'Toole died Saturday after a long illness, Steve Kenis said in a brief statement.
    The family was overwhelmed "by the outpouring of real love and affection being expressed towards him, and to us, during this unhappy time. ... In due course there will be a memorial filled with song and good cheer, as he would have wished," O'Toole's daughter Kate said in the statement.
    O'Toole got his first Oscar nomination for 1962's Lawrence of Arabia, his last for Venus in 2007. With that he set the record for most nominations without ever winning, though he had accepted an honorary Oscar in 2003.
    A reformed — but unrepentant — hell-raiser, O'Toole long suffered from ill health. Always thin, he had grown wraithlike in later years, his famously handsome face eroded by years of hard drinking.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

RIP Mr. O'Toole

Amazing in Lawrence of Arabia

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Rebecca actress Joan Fontaine dies aged 96

Oscar-winning actress Joan Fontaine - the star of several psychological thrillers produced by Alfred Hitchcock - has died in California aged 96.
    Fontaine - the sister of fellow Oscar-winner Olivia de Havilland - died in her sleep on Sunday in her home in Carmel, her friend Noel Beutel said.
    Born in Japan to British parents, she and her older sister moved to the US as children.
    She won an Oscar as a vulnerable wife in the movie Suspicion in 1942.
    Hitchcock also cast Fontaine in the lead role in his first Hollywood work, Rebecca.
    Her other films included The Constant Nymph, Jane Eyre and Letter from an Unknown Woman.
    Fontaine won her Oscar over her sister, who was in the running for her role in Hold Back The Dawn.
    Natalka likes this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Country singer Ray Price died Monday, at 87 years old, of pancreatic cancer.

Perhaps best known for his version of the Kris Kristofferson song For the Good Times, a pop hit in 1970, the velvet-voiced Price was a giant among traditional country performers in the 1950s, `60s and `70s, as likely to defy a trend as he was to defend one. He helped invent the genre's honky-tonk sound early in his career, then took it in a more polished direction.
    He reached the Billboard Hot 100 eight times from 1958-73 and had seven No. 1 hits and more than 100 titles on the Billboard country chart from 1952 to 1989. For the Good Times was his biggest crossover hit, reaching No. 11 on the Billboard pop music singles chart. His other country hits included Crazy Arms, Release Me, The Same Old Me, Heartaches by the Number, City Lights and Too Young to Die.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/ray-pric...t-87-1.2466681

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Still sounded great three years ago

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Harold Camping, Doomsday preacher dies aged 92

A US preacher and Christian broadcaster who predicted the end of the world three times has died age 92.
    Harold Camping, a retired civil engineer, died at his home on Sunday after a stay in hospital for a fall.
    His independent Christian ministry, formed in 1958, most recently spent millions warning the world that the end of days would come on 21 May 2011.
    He was criticised by other Christian leaders after some believers sold their possessions to help his cause.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Iconic BBC sports commentator David Coleman dies..

Athletics "lost its greatest commentator" according to double Olympic champion Lord Coe, following the death of David Coleman, aged 87.
    Coleman, who broadcast for the BBC from 1954 to 2000, covering 11 Olympic Games and six football World Cups, died on Saturday following a short illness.
    "He was so incomparably better than anyone else who did it, in that generation or the current," said Coe.
    BBC athletics commentator Brendan Foster called him "the greatest sports broadcaster that ever lived".
    And the BBC Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker said Coleman was "a giant of sports broadcasting", describing him as "brilliant, gifted, precise and concise".

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Former Jewish Congress head Edgar Bronfman dies

Billionaire businessman and long-time head of the World Jewish Congress Edgar Bronfman has died in New York, aged 84.
    The Canadian-born son of east European immigrants, he successfully expanded the family's liquor company Seagram, taking over as president in 1971.
    As WJC leader from 1981 to 2007 he was a prominent champion of Jewish causes.
    Under his tenure, the US lobbied the Soviet Union to allow Jews to emigrate. Bronfman also helped force Swiss banks return over $1bn to Holocaust victims.
    His successor as president of the World Jewish Congress, Ronald Lauder, said in a statement: "Many Jews around the world are better off today because of Edgar's determined, unrelenting fight for justice on their behalf.
    "His name will forever be enshrined in the history books."
    Bronfman died of natural causes at his home surrounded by relatives on Saturday, according to the family's Samuel Bronfman Foundation.
    His father, Samuel Bronfman, founded the distilling company Seagram in 1924 and grew rich in the Prohibition era - when alcohol was smuggled into the US in large quantities.
    Under Edgar's leadership, Seagram diversified its operations, acquiring interests in the chemical and oil sectors. The firm was taken over in 2000 by the French media and telecom group Vivendi.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Page 19 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread Information