User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Is Costco really that good a deal???

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by charsmom View Post
    I dont think you are saving any money by shopping there. I shop there occaisionally, but know I am not going to be getting any deals. True, the meat seems like excellent quality, but it is pretty expensive. I think u get what u pay for.
    I don't find that the chicken drumsticks/thighs are very expensive, about $5.50 a KG as I recall. Not as good as a sale price at Superstore, but certainly better than regular price. Their steaks are a bit more than Superstore (but still under $6 a pound I think), and they're 10x better than what I'd get in a grocery store. However, a ham is probably going to cost $25, and I'll never buy it for that much.
    ssbean and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

LOVE LOVE LOVE COSTCO!

100 pee pads (our doggy is house trained and uses these when we go to work) 19 bucks...at petsmart 30 pads are about 21 bucks.
    MEAT! We buy the pork loin and we get 4 meals out of it...so 4 meals of pork for about 16 bucks, ground pork, chicken thighs, and 3 packs of chicken.

almond butter, nuts, spices, K cups, greek yogurt, eggs, milk - we do most of our grocery shopping at Costco

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

There are certain things on my bi-weekly/monthly trips. Somehow I lucked into being the second on my Moms membership when I still lived at home and so my Mom pays the membership and she gets 2% back on all my purchases (executive membership) so it evens out.

Like VeeVee, the Hartz puppy pads are excellently priced. We get our cat litter there $8 for 18 kg, and 48 cans of Friskies cat food for $24. It takes a lot of coupons and a stellar deal to beat $0.50/can.

If I have run out of meat and need it between a sale their ground beef (lean) is under $3/lb, but way better quality. The thing is we don't have an extra freezer so just the one above our fridge. Also, 2 lbs blanched almonds for $9 - part of my pre-running snack. If you buy a popular book it is definitely he place to buy it. Also they have cute clothes sometimes but I hate the lack of change rooms

What I really mostly use Costco is for the produce though. $6.99/six non-green peppers, $3/three cukes, $3/two lbs strawberries, $3/pineapple, $4/six heads of romaine. I know it's the summer but the last grocery store I was in had one cuke for $2.29. You can for sure do better with sales (example the peppers) but the quality is awesome at Costco, just always so fresh and no running around. I trust the quality of their produce more than No Frills and for sure most of the stuff at Sobeys.
    matrix82, AmberLab, ssbean and 3 others like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    Tute clothes sometimes but I hate the lack of change rooms
    Isn't that the Costco washroom?

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Isn't that the Costco washroom?
    Damn, I thought I caught all my typos! Apparently not.
    And don't even get my started on the nastiness of Costco bathrooms (think earlier thread in the rant section).
    ssbean likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We buy all our milk and eggs there. Hubby grabs at least 8 litres of milk or two weeks worth. Same with eggs. He watches the pricing on items like fruits and veg. Between costco and going to the US to stock up on items we rarely grocery shop at our local store any more.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Oh this reminds me - we go through a lot of butter around here, and MANY times when there is a great butter sale, places are not carrying much, if any unsalted butter, so there are times when I make it myself instead. Costco sells the 'heavy whip cream' 1L for $4.99 (makes 500g of butter) as a regular price where all other stores carry it for $7.99
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
    Oh this reminds me - we go through a lot of butter around here, and MANY times when there is a great butter sale, places are not carrying much, if any unsalted butter, so there are times when I make it myself instead. Costco sells the 'heavy whip cream' 1L for $4.99 (makes 500g of butter) as a regular price where all other stores carry it for $7.99
    I agree with you about not enough stock on sale items at regular stores.

The deals section has a new Costco flyer. They have Filtrete furnace filters in a three pack. It 's probably the best price -- Walmart has it on for a good price once a year (Anniversary sale), but they are usually sold out the first day.

For these furnace filters alone, really good quality, the membership is worth it IMHO.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

We just renewed our membership and dropped it from the Executive to Basic. I find that for many items, Costco is not cheaper -- especially for stackers. However, I buy hosiery for work that works out to half the price that I pay for the same quality anywhere else. We also pickup Quinoa, steel cut oats, baking supplies, Christmas cards, wrap, trash bags, etc. There are times that Costco works out to the same price that I can get with coupons...and at that point it comes down to sheer convenience.

I find that the mega sizes of many Costco items drives me crazy when it comes to fridge space, so I much prefer a normal bottle of something like mustard, mayo, etc., and couponing keeps the price the same or less per ml. I don't think you can beat the quality of Costco meat but it is expensive. We buy meat there when we are having a special dinner or sometimes for company, but generally speaking I find that watching meat sales elsewhere is much more cost-effective.

Like others have said, you have to know your prices when you shop there. My DH sometimes buys deli trays, etc., there for business events so for us it is nice to have a membership. When we renewed yesterday we were told that in order to break even on the Executive Membership cost of $110 per year, you need to be spending $225 per month at Costco. We don't come anywhere close to that amount.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I am debating on getting a costco membership. My parents came to visit me last week, they have a membership so we went.

I think that it may be worth it for us to get one. We have three cats, and their price on litter and wet cat food is better than any prices I have seen around. The vegetables also seem to be well priced and extremely fresh.

I also just got hooked on their greek yogurt in the individual packages. The brand starts with an S, and I have not seen that brand in local stores. It is delish and healthy to put in my lunches. I am really contemplating getting a membership.
    alicia and Anna Michele like this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The prescription prices are a big draw for me, as well as the biodegradable bags DH insists on using, the Costco brand yoga pants, coffee filters, and other household items they bring in once in awhile like garden hoses.

Last week, they had a sale on dried cranberries. It was $5.99 for 1.36 kg, which I've never seen for that size anywhere else.

The return policy is outstanding. I don't have to worry if I've lost a receipt since it's in the system, complete with the price I paid for it, not with the current reduced price. Price adjustments are much easier with a system that allows 30 days instead of the week at other places. One place I thought to get an adjustment at said no adjustments on produce or food items, but everything else is fine. This seems to be up to the store, and brings to mind another great thing about Costco. The store policies I know of are the same across all Costcos in the same country.

Also love the gas costs and the free tire servicing. Costco has it's place on my shopping list because of great pricing on certain things that I can't price match or use coupons on.
    DianneS and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I was in Costco earlier this afternoon, saw that they had Roots backpacks on for $15, regularly $20. I had recently bought two of them, so got a price adjustment of $10 plus tax. I love Costco.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    I am debating on getting a costco membership.
    If you're not sure, give money to someone who is a member to get you a gift card. It gives you the opportunity to try Costco out without paying the membership fee.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow
    Also love the gas costs and the free tire servicing.
    Perhaps you have the info I'm looking for!

For the free tire service, what exactly is covered, and is it only if you bought the tires from them, or from anywhere?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

We get our tires there as well. Excellent quality, service and pricing. Kraze, I believe you can only have tired serviced at Costco if they were purchased at Costco. They will repair flats, rotate tires, etc.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information