User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why are plus size clothes so ugly?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Okay...I dare say I am plus sized...by today's standards..

Always been stick thin,but for some reason i gained hips and breasts after having my son 4 years ago and kept an extra 14 pounds...

went from being a size 10 to a size 14-16. breasts went up from a size 32D to a 38 DD...needless to say my cup spilleth over....

anyhow,i shop at all of the stores i used to,as i am still in regular sizes.my problem is i am petite at 5'4 and now have huge breasts and large hips.basically my body looks like an oddly shaped apple.hubby loves the new curvy me,i don't mind it but would really like to not have to look hours to find pants that fit or a shirt that isn't huge in the shoulders...i am working on toning and losing weight,but in the meantime i bought a couple shirts in the plus size section.

as i was looking in there,i noticed a lady looking at a shirt in the mirror,and grimacing to herself,sighing and putting it back..."no way that'll fit me" she said...i kinda laughed..."yeah".....we kind of both looked with disgust at the next rack of plus size shirts...

ugly patterns,horrible cuts...pretty much a cotton garbage bag meant to hide your body from view...i have walked into "shame-r.-us" suddenly even loving curves or being bigger due to other reasons such as thyroid or even people that don't want to be stick thin have to settle for granny's closet?

i pick a dress off of the rack...slip the hanger over my neck and look at myself..."wow" i say..still too big for me but i figure my chest would fit,but what would the rest of me look like?this dress is white cotton with pink flowers all over it...i dare say my grandmother would love this playful pattern....but not me,or any other curvy woman wanting to go to the beach or a walk in the park...

does plus size have to hide hips,or make cleavage shameful? do we have to disappear into yards of multicolored fabric to fit into society?i really feel bad for even larger women who must adhere to standards set out by these unflattering stereotypes of miu miu looking things and denim with embellishments.that or go to a specialty store..

Why is plus size clothing so ugly?
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple

~just your average nerd~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

it's because the plus size stores' main demographic is the 50+ set who dress really modest and care mostly about comfort. unfortunately, companies care more about the bottom line than making people look and feel good. if you don't have the off the rack body type, you have to pay a premium. sucks that fashion's always about the $$$ here's an online listing of plus sized clothing shops that ship to canada: http://www.plussizefashion.ca/. there's hope for plus size fashion. now only if it can go mainstream
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Additionelle and Mxm Have nice stuff imo.....

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I agree on the grandma's-curtain prints. Additionelle's stuff is nice, but spendy. And I find most of MXM is teenager-ish. Cotton Ginny would be great if their clothes kept their shape and threads longer than 2 washes.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i'm not a big fan of cotton ginny i find there stuff rather bland and a little to earthy for me (not all that stylish but ok for basics) i've had good luck at A&E sport (in the additionelle chain but aimed more for a younger crowd) not everything is my style and some of it is rather teenagerish BUT if you want nice jeans they are great and some fun tops, addition elle is more aimed for the older demographic and business attire (if you need a nice suit thats where you go!)

i find the bay is hit and miss sometimes i find the funkiest tops there and sometimes it's granny special! penningtons (which oddly is in the addition elle chain) seems to have a good balence in selection (not directly aimed for teens not directly aimed for elderly) i tend to hit them up after christmas when they have their slightly dressier party style tops on clearance.. old navy carries a XL and XXL what can fit UP to a 18-20 depending on the cut last but not least reitmans! they have a plus size section what is somewhat relaxed in style (not business, sack dress not teenager) their selection isn't huge but i do really like how their jeans fit (i also have curves 42I ontop and i have hips and a butt)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i wear alot of black.so i can always get some basics at walmart like tank tops and stuff to put my corsets on over top.i thrift shop alot and sew things together..but i do feel bad for those just wanting to go with trends but they can't as the sizes only go so high...if i could start a business of stylish plus size i would.i dont mind some stuff at penningtons...i have found some nice jeans there that have stretch but look like skinny jeans,etc...

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yay for curves and having a womanly body!

For your size, you should be able to find LOTS of cute stuff still! Addition Elle, and even Pennington's always have cute stuff in the smaller plus sizes. Plus, as others mentioned Old Navy, Reitman's, Sears, the Bay, and other regular stores which have plus sections would be great places to look.
    Where one really runs into more consternation is being a way larger plus than you - as I am - then I'm not only limited by stores, but also either have to shell out the big bucks or patiently wait for decent sales.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I love shopping Addition Elle on line. Last summer I scored a bunch of T-shirts and blouses for 1/2 price.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay first of all YOUR BEAUTIFUL no matter what size you are ! There is no "standard weight" .Paris Hilton Britney Spears & all those other stick thin models are fake ! they have people telling them what to eat when to eat & how much to eat. Real women have curvessssssssss ! Back on topic have you ever tried Laura ??? They sell work attire dresses & more! I was just on the website & the clothing is cute !

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

to answer your question....it'S because they are designed by mad skinny women who don't want + size women look beautifull

P.S. no offense please, i don't pretend that skinny women are mad...i was a skinny one in the past...and back then i remember some family women also complaining about the hugly + size clothing
    Last edited by Mia001; Mon, Jun 13th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

i hear you, i am also plus sized, and i find it hard, i have no butt really, and the pants are baggy, the awful flower prints, and bright gaudy crap i see is just not me... i did however luck out and find a lady, who was selling brand new with tags still on in my size, clothes i like for less than half of what she paid... i was/ still am in heaven

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lady_arianna View Post
    i hear you, i am also plus sized, and i find it hard, i have no butt really, and the pants are baggy, the awful flower prints, and bright gaudy crap i see is just not me... i did however luck out and find a lady, who was selling brand new with tags still on in my size, clothes i like for less than half of what she paid... i was/ still am in heaven
    i agree, why do they want us to wear big flower prints....do they think we find ourselves look thinner in these.....we don't , we just look like we escaped form a clown circle show....
    and this one is might be only me....
    why all these low-necked tops and dresses. ....once a seller told me it's because we have more breast ( understand to show) ....my answer to that...
    'it'S not because we have more that we must show it all '

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TudorChick View Post
    Okay...I dare say I am plus sized...by today's standards..

ugly patterns,horrible cuts...pretty much a cotton garbage bag meant to hide your body from view..

i really feel bad for even larger women who must adhere to standards set out by these unflattering stereotypes of miu miu looking things and denim with embellishments.that or go to a specialty store..

Why is plus size clothing so ugly?
    You are in Edmonton?
    May I suggest the Laura Superstore.
    http://www.lauracanada.com/

Go to the very back of the store, or where you see the 80% off signs.
    I saw some great clothes but could not get them becuase they were plus sizes. The styles were great. The prices were even better. I don't work for them. I have had success there time after time. Have had great comments from my coworkers, about my clothes.

In Edmonton:

• SUPERSTORES - MAYFIELD COMMON
      154 MAYFIELD COMMON, EDMONTON (AB)
      (780) 444-5625
    • SUPERSTORES - RIOCAN MEADOWS
      2006, 38 AVENUE, EDMONTON (AB)
      (PROM DRESSES)
      (780) 468-7632
    • SUPERSTORES - SOUTH EDMONTON COMMON
      1604, 99th Street NW, Edmonton (AB)
      (PROM DRESSES)
      780-485-0729

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I find Laura good for work outfits but not general wear stuff

I agree with Addition Elle but find some stores have more mature stuff than others, the one in the mall here has a much bigger selection of clothing I would wear than the stand alone store so it is all about finding the store that suits too

Also, they seem to think we all have big butts and bigger boobs lol
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

If you are under a size 26, this shop has beautiful clothing, they are based in Halifax, but ship canada wide. Yes the stuff is on the expensive side, but it is well made clothing, all the dresses are lined, well sewn etc. I love this shop.

http://www.shopprettythingsboutique.com/

I have a couple dresses from them and I have gotten compliments while wearing all three of them, so for me the clothing is worth the money. The sizing charts are pretty true to size. they also have a facebook group.

It's owned by a young lady in her twenties or thirties, and she sews herself so she looks for companies that make well made clothing.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information