User Tag List

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By ninna
  • 2 Post By gspmamma
  • 1 Post By Chantel

Thread: is this normal?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my daughter is 2 and a half. We are always very busy out and about , library programs etc. but on the days when we are at home, ive noticed every second she gets she picks at her private parts. I keep telling her not too pick at it, and that it is innapropriate. But I think this is weird behaviour. Is there a possibility she has a infection or something. Or is this a normal thing every child goes through? Any insight would be most appreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Might be worth a visit to the doctor just to verify that it isn't a yeast infection or some other kind of infection first.

That being said, my youngest DD does this. It started around age 3 and we went to the doctor about it. As it turns out, she had simply discovered her body and learned that she gets a thrill from doing it. Plain and simple.

She still does it and she is now 7. We don't discourage her from exploring herself or make her feel bad about it. I don't want her growing up and thinking masturbation is shameful or bad or dirty. However, the rule at our house is this: it's ok if you want to do that, but it's something you do in the privacy of your bedroom when you're alone. You don't do that in public or when you're at school.

edited to add:

and so far (*touch wood*) that has worked well for her.
    Last edited by ninna; Wed, Aug 29th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think just about every child goes through a phase of discovering their bodies. Seeing her doctor would be a good idea just to rule out any kind of infection.

My youngest DS discovered his body parts around age 3 and after ruling out any health issues we just taught him that if he wanted to touch himself he had to do it in his room or the bathroom. To this day he will will touch himself at the age of 9 (mentally he is around 6). For the most part he goes to his room but there are still times that I have to remind him. This is also the same kid that until a month ago would streak through the house naked after a bath and who I caught jumping on his bed the other day with only a shirt on because he like he feel of "peter" flying. Go figure.
    jessep13 and Speckled28 like this.
    Not All Disabilities Are Visible. Proud owner of a medical alert wonder pup. (formally a puppy mill pup that was rescued and assists a special needs child)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ok . feeling a bit better. her doctors off for the long weekend , but first thing tuesday, ill be giving her a holler.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

There's nothing wrong with that. That's totally normal. Don't try to smush it or say it's inappropriate because that could just lead to her feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed about her body. If there's no infection, just let her do it. Ask her to do it in private, and explain to her that things involving private parts are done in private rooms, like bathing and peeing and changing her clothes.

People who shame their children or otherwise instill a feeling of doing something wrong when it has something to do with their privates will raise children with unhealthy views of their bodies.

When I was little I used to do that too. I'd just have my hands in my pants because it was a comfort thing, like sucking a thumb or having a blankie. Adult MEN sleep with their hand in their waistband, for goodness' sake. That's normal.

My mom put a sports cup on me at the advice of a doctor to physically STOP me from doing it, and that was one of the most humiliating and shaming things ever. It only happened once because I would not HAVE IT after that, but that was horrible. Never do that.
    ninna likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Perfectly normal. My daughter did it and still does it

Thread Information