User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Just witnessed a 40 foot tree fall on three cars.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I live an apartment building lined with mature tree's. It hasn't been that windy, but just witnessed a 40 foot tree fall down and squish one car completely, you can't even see the car, and partially fall on two other vehicles.

I called the landlord and left my phone number and that I witnessed it. So did a couple other people on my side of the building.

It is a little unavoidable to park in the lot not near any tree's. The building's lot is lined with large tree's. Parking lot for about 200+ vehicles. I am wondering would something like this be covered under car insurance if it were to happen to me?

I have liability, collision and comprehensive insurance on my vehicle. I am in New Brunswick if that makes any difference. I have as far as I know full coverage, but it doesn't outline what that means, like if it would cover a tree falling on the vehicle.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Police are now here looking at the tree and cars.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

They just put caution tape around the tree which is still laying on top of the car. The other two vehicles had minimal damage and were able to be moved.
    Use this link

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

wow, that was probably surreal to watch it happen huh? Glad no injuries though, just collateral damage.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    wow, that was probably surreal to watch it happen huh? Glad no injuries though, just collateral damage.

I've never seen anything like that happen before. The noise was crazy. I am glad no one was hurt, I would have thought by now the building management company would have moved the tree or done something more than just put caution tape around it 5 hrs later, as it is still on top of a person's car. The tree is huge, in width it only takes up about a parking space and a half, but it makes up for it in length.

It wasn't even really windy out today so the tree much have rotted.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Sounds weird that the management is so relaxed about it now. I wonder if they are calculating their next legal moves??

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Sounds weird that the management is so relaxed about it now. I wonder if they are calculating their next legal moves??
    That is a good point. There were 3 cars damaged. The two that weren't squished definitely have scratches and will need a new paint job on the roof, hood, trunk and side the tree fell. I talked with my dad and he said that whoever owns the tree, it would be their insurance paying for the damage, or if they had none, then it would be the auto insurance. There is a clause in the lease that says the company is not liable for damages to vehicles in the parking lot. Parking at your own risk sort of thing.

I would think however that if the tree is rotted out, it would be negligence on part of the company. I have no doubts Killam will try to weasle out of it. There are enough witnesses though. It was not a very windy day at all.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That's just crazy! Glad it wasn't yours that got hit.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Wow! Interesting question OP! Glad your car was not involved.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Name:  september 8 2012.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  12.2 KB

This is a pic my husband took last night of the tree/car.
    walkonby likes this.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It sure is not normal for a tree to just fall, so yeah the rotted factor might have some bearing on if the owner's are compensated for damages.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Almost 24 hrs, the tree is still on the poor guys car.
    Use this link

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

thankfully no one was injured.. but they may be waiting for insurance companies to come out and take pics as proof of evidence esp. if someone is at fault.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Wow that is terrible! I really hope that the owners of the cars get compensation from whoever "owns' the tree. I know that our insurance covers most damage to our vehicle, but this is an interesting question. And to think that the tree is STILL there after 24 hours. I live in North Vancouver and it is the responsibility of the property owner's to check and remove any tree's that could be a potential hazard. It is a serious bylaw, as I am sure you have a similar one too. A few years back a tree fell right through my neighbors house and since we live in a strata complex, strata chipped in a bit for repairs to the house (as well as the insurance). It was a freak wind storm that brought it down, but at least someone did something. I also note that on a bi-yearly basis, or anytime there is a huge wind storm, arborists are out there checking on all the trees, as most of the trees are 2nd growth trees, so they are at least 20-30 years old. it is not uncommon to hear chainsaws here on a weekly basis. Makes me feel safer, as we live in a thick forest, knowing that the city is taking care of our trees.
    Last edited by MomOfOne79; Sun, Sep 9th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, I find it strange that it is still there right now, 30+ hrs later. The arbourists is a great idea. I don't think we are so good at doing that here in the Maritimes. When I lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia frequently fallen branches would cause power outages and that is in a city.
    Use this link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information