User Tag List

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: So Disappointed

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    For the people who think its ok for someone with an addiction to be on social services to prevent crime..... that sounds a lot like a"give me what I want or else......" kind of situation for them. Just giving in to them and enabling their addiction. Perhaps those addicted people should b sent to rehab BEFORE getting benefits and if they want to keep them, drug testing must be passed.

Drugs aren't impossible to quit... you just have to WANT to quit.

I partially agree with you. Yes, it would be great to have rehab and treatment programs aligned with social assistance programs which work together to get people back on their feet however, the system (like mentioned in many previous posts) is broken and the bureaucracy to overcome these problems is virtually impossible. So yes, lets drugs test individuals before giving assistance. Although, some may argue that an infringement of their Charter or Privacy rights....I'm not really sure,I'm not a lawyer.

I disagree with your statement that "Drugs aren't impossible to quit... you just have to WANT to quit." Unfortunately, quitting for addicts is far more complex than just wanting too. Here is some research on the science of addiction, pretty interesting and definitely not the entire picture. http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe...cted_brain.htm

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by firstimer1969 View Post
    I partially agree with you. Yes, it would be great to have rehab and treatment programs aligned with social assistance programs which work together to get people back on their feet however, the system (like mentioned in many previous posts) is broken and the bureaucracy to overcome these problems is virtually impossible. So yes, lets drugs test individuals before giving assistance. Although, some may argue that an infringement of their Charter or Privacy rights....I'm not really sure,I'm not a lawyer.

I disagree with your statement that "Drugs aren't impossible to quit... you just have to WANT to quit." Unfortunately, quitting for addicts is far more complex than just wanting too. Here is some research on the science of addiction, pretty interesting and definitely not the entire picture. http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe...cted_brain.htm

Thanks for the interesting discussion.
    My husband is required to do a drug test for his work, in order to pay taxes, in order to support welfare recipients..... but its against their rights to be tested for drugs to receive it?? Hrmm......

Also, yeah, if you want to quit drugs, you will. If you don't want to quit you wont.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Your husband can turn down that job and take another though. I too have worked at a job where they did random drug testing, but my choice. You could argue that it is their choice to go on social assistance, but if they didn't it is likely that they would strain society in some other way (poor nutrition/no doctors = higher healthcare costs etc, potential for stealing, children not doing as well because they are hungry so not reaching full potential to get out of the cycle).
    jessep13 and Judyhill like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

You cant tell people how to feel everyone has their own opinion . Like Harper i have an opinion but i wouldnt say it on here lol but i have to live with it till maby one day people will wake up . But i think people should be tested i work for a living on 1 income and if someone is abusing that they should be kicked off the program . It sicks for other people but thats how it goes. Like war its a waste of time but we pay at the pumps becaue of it not fair because a few people screwed it up but thats the way it goes

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post

Drugs aren't impossible to quit... you just have to WANT to quit.
    I have worked for social assistance in a small town in NS and in a city here in Ontario. And I have been a case worker listening to why they needed to be on social assistance and determining if they needed to be. When I use to go out to a bar I use to see the same people who came to me that week before begging and pleading with me they needed money. Women who said they wanted a better life for their kids and saw them trashed at a bar or high as a kite. I use to have people follow me into bathrooms at Sobey's or malls scared to death saying please don't take the money away or I promise it was a one time deal. Or the day the cheque comes out over at the liquor store stocking up on beer or whatever.
    OW has access to your bank account and your account can be and will be audited. There is a piece of paper you sign that says that is tiny print. NS they can take it away if abused cause I have taken it away when someone lied about there situation and we found out the whole cheque went to drugs.
    I have had friends on OW and sat on there ass high as a kite & playing video games until he got audited and now booted off and his own and now on student loan. And where I live there is a building for social housing and cheque day I see atleast 30% of the people at the liquor store that day carrying beer in there child's stroller.
    It is abused and OW knows that and maybe one day we will be like some of the USA and do drug tests and do cheques by credit card so we can audit accounts.
    I stopped doing anything with social work because of the following and even threats from people. Now going back to school to be a computer programmer.

And the comment about "Drugs aren't impossible to quit... you just have to WANT to quit". So wrong in so many levels and from experience not just with me with so many others I know as I use to be a raver long ago and worked at raves talking about drugs and even testing drugs. Just because you want to quit doesn't mean you can. I struggled quitting and I wanted to cause it was ruining everything. I got clean because I wanted to and the strength inside of me. if you have never been addicted you will never know that feeling.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I do agree with giving them a card that is loaded with their assistance payment, easier to audit and takes some forethought if buying groceries etc for others to get cash
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Wow, how did this go from chocolate bar selling to welfare recipients and drug/alcohol abusers.
    thriftygranny likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

This was always about welfare? That is what the OP started the thread as after reading something on FB
    ~ ~ ~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

Was it or did it get tied in with other things ?? seems like it did . You still cant tell people to have the same opinion as you .

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

Seems like it did get off the op or am i wrong ?? No worries on teh health care anyways they are screwing us now anyways . Long live the great TOmmy Douglas who fought to give us healthcare and thanks to unions who fought for welfare and ei .

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    Do you also disagree with free health care?
    ETA because a lot of honest people WITH jobs wouldn't be able to afford most of the things we currently get free thabks to our wonderful system, but by your logic, since some people abuse the system (yes some abuse the health care system too; with any good thing comes its bad) we should ban free health care entirely and effectively screw over all the honest hard working people who need it too.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I do agree with giving them a card that is loaded with their assistance payment, easier to audit and takes some forethought if buying groceries etc for others to get cash
    it needs to be like the FSA (fleixable spending account )health accounts in the USA. that the cards only works at certain places like Loblaws etc. and the card will be denied if you try at the beer store. Or if you buy a chocolate bar with it, then you swipe the card and cause that code isn't on the card it will be denied. And the system once a month audits itself and anything that isn't approved you have to pay back or gets taken out from next cheque.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

Yes i seen that in the USA wou be great to do up here but the problem is were so politically correct these days would be hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    it needs to be like the FSA (fleixable spending account )health accounts in the USA. that the cards only works at certain places like Loblaws etc. and the card will be denied if you try at the beer store. Or if you buy a chocolate bar with it, then you swipe the card and cause that code isn't on the card it will be denied. And the system once a month audits itself and anything that isn't approved you have to pay back or gets taken out from next cheque.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    I think thats the best idea since the Wheel!!!!
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Meh, I'm probably just losing my mind after far too many chocolate topics lol

~~Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk~~

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I've had my share of addictions, from food, to cigarettes to coke..... even though none of them were good for me.... if I wanted to do it I would...... once I really decided I WANTED to quit... I walked away from them all.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information