User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: NYC Bans Large Sugary Drinks

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ok, Dave to a starving person? Well most of us here are not in that category, and I am very sad there are. However, to me pizza is one of those " grey " areas because really to be very healthy and nutritious I would think limiting the salt, sugar, and fat would be a very big concern. Then there is the whole " meat " issue, and for those of us lactose intolerant and Gluten Free, well I say IF you make your own pizza ( I do) and control those areas then yes, healthy is what it would be.

That being said, most high schools where pizza is served the dough is very high in fat, salt, and sugar and who knows what cheese and meats are used?? I vote no, they are anything but healthy, but if you are starving you are already suffering from malnutrition so chow down I guess.
    anisa and Patty Smyth like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

^^well yes, moderation is the key. Have a slice of pizza now, a couple of oranges and a salad later.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I'm afraid I have to disagree. Pizza is pretty much the perfect food. All 4 food groups represented, nutrient and calorie rich, what could be better for you? Sure if you overdo it, it will have have negative consequences, but that's true of anything - even water.

Tell me, what food would be better gram for gram for a starving person than a piece of pizza? Really, name one food. No single food can provide the calories, proteins, fats, minerals and vitamins that a single slice of pizza can. Not one other food can provide it all.

I disagree obviously since I don't eat meat and dairy.

As for the perfect food which contains 98% of all the minerals we need to survive that would be wheat grass juice.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I disagree obviously since I don't eat meat and dairy.

As for the perfect food which contains 98% of all the minerals we need to survive that would be wheat grass juice.
    I just looked it up and it sounds utterly horrible. Any way to turn it into beer?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Nutrition and gymnastics in school is the place to start. I was in my last year in school during the craze when forcing kids to participate in PE and playing team sports that kept score was considered politically incorrect. And the nutrition part of eduction was written in 40's before most of this modern food was main stream.

If school was that bad in the 90's, I am sure it only got worse since.
    Actually the schools in our area passed nutrition policy about 4 years ago, they can't control what the kids bring but any lunches provided in the schools have to follow this policy, including our school cafeterias at the high school level. All pop and candy vending machines were removed at the same time .I think it is working to a degree, at the very least parents and students are aware that there are better choices out there.It sin't perfect and some of the approved items are questionable in my opinion but at least it is a start.
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Mon, Sep 24th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I just looked it up and it sounds utterly horrible. Any way to turn it into beer?
    I never said I drink it lol just saying it is the best "whole food" I think it would take more than one beer to chase it down lol

and yes I do eat vegetarian pizza with no cheese . lol
    DaveP, ninna and thriftygranny like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Actually the schools in our area passed nutrition policy about 4 years ago, they can't control what the kids bring but any lunches provided in the schools have to follow this policy, including our school cafeterias at the high school level. All pop and candy vending machines were removed at the same time .I think it is working to a degree, at the very least parents and students are aware that there are better choices out there.It sin't perfect and some of the approved items are questionable in my opinion but at least it is a start.
    The english Montreal School board has a good plan also. My son actually enjoyed the caf. food and it was all pretty decent stuff. Many healthy options and no soft drinks or vending machines .
    thriftygranny likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

we had a chef's program in our high school, complete with an incredibly gorgeous professional kitchen in the cafeteria.

those students turned out the yummiest meals... cafeteria food was heaven at our school lol.

too bad most schools just do not want to commit to programs like that.
    vesper likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Now that is a magnificent idea!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    we had a chef's program in our high school, complete with an incredibly gorgeous professional kitchen in the cafeteria.

those students turned out the yummiest meals... cafeteria food was heaven at our school lol.

too bad most schools just do not want to commit to programs like that.
    So did we but the geniuses in charge of education took all the vocational training out of high school and made it adult education

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We have a nutrition policy for school cafeterias here in Ontario as well. It might work for schools that are out in the middle of the nowhere, but I'll tell ya...for schools in the city that I teach at, the kids just walk across the street to the local greasy spoon to get their fries and gravy. The caf can't sell it anymore so instead of getting that food in the caf, they just walk across the street instead and line someone else's pockets with their money. I suppose I should be grateful that at least they are exercising on their way to fill themselves with crap but really, it's done very little to deter the teenagers from making healthier choices.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information