User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: We've started the adoption process!!! Advice please

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Shirnette, there is no cost to public adoption other than police checks and medicals, which cost us about $250.

Congrats Matrix on your upcoming Pride. You will learn so much, both about the adoption process and also about yourself!
    matrix82, Angela273 and Bronwen like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Also note that adoption costs are tax deductible which I didn't realize when we adopted several years back although I think we paid under $50 for a public adoption.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Congrats OP! Adoption has always been a dream of mine. DH and I are done with having our own but in the future we plan to adopt a child. DH and I began the PRIDE course a few years ago for fostering however we found out we were pregnant with our second and decided to wait as we already had (have) our hands full with two kids 10.5 months apart! I didn't realize it could take up to 7 years!
    Last edited by Bronwen; Sat, Apr 20th, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Angela273 likes this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    Congrats OP! Adoption has always been a dream of mine. DH and I are done with having our own but in the future we plan to adopt a child. DH and I began the PRIDE course a few years ago for fostering however we found out we were pregnant with our second and decided to wait as we already had (have) our hands full with two kids 10.5 months apart! I didn't realize it could take up to 7 years!
    That is for my province. I think the provinces differ in wait times. I disliked the wording the social worker used, "average is 7 years, if ever". It was the added, "if ever" was very difficult to hear. We are both hardworking and have a lot of love to give a child. We aren't looking for a baby, but will adopt one if offered.
    Angela273 likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Also note that adoption costs are tax deductible which I didn't realize when we adopted several years back although I think we paid under $50 for a public adoption.
    I didn't know that. So far we have paid around $50 just for the police records checks, and had to drive the 5 hrs round trip to get a physical (as we do not have a family doctor and the walk-in clinic doesn't do physicals here) which I am told expire every year we are in the process. So if it does take the 7+ years we were estimated, it is going to cost a little bit just in police record checks and travel costs for physicals alone.
    Use this link

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Good luck!!

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

yay for starting PRIDE! You're one step closer
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Found out that our initial application was misplaced :S. Apparently there is usually a sit down meeting with a social worker that happens before PRIDE training. That didn't happen with us, as our application had been misplaced. We meet with a social worker next week. It is frustrating to know that we are in some ways behind, as talking with others in the course with us, most have had a few home visits already and have been assigned a social worker etc. They were ones that had applied months after we did are further along in the process. I guess we are lucky they found our application.

It explains why we never heard anything for months until I finally called after a few months to find out what the next step in the process would be. I have a feeling this process is going to be very long.
    Insane and Darth Penguin like this.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Adoption processes are usually long, but so worth it!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Found out that our initial application was misplaced :S. Apparently there is usually a sit down meeting with a social worker that happens before PRIDE training. That didn't happen with us, as our application had been misplaced. We meet with a social worker next week. It is frustrating to know that we are in some ways behind, as talking with others in the course with us, most have had a few home visits already and have been assigned a social worker etc. They were ones that had applied months after we did are further along in the process. I guess we are lucky they found our application.

It explains why we never heard anything for months until I finally called after a few months to find out what the next step in the process would be. I have a feeling this process is going to be very long.

yuck!..that sucks but at least they found your application and you are going forward now...
    Angela273 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks folks. We are finishing PRIDE this week. Still no word on a homestudy which would really get us on the list to adopt. They are a year behind with the home studies :S.

Long process.
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Thanks folks. We are finishing PRIDE this week. Still no word on a homestudy which would really get us on the list to adopt. They are a year behind with the home studies :S.

Long process.
    Can you pay for one privately?
    matrix82 and Angela273 like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    Can you pay for one privately?
    Not in New Brunswick, it is all done through Social Development. The story would be different if we lived in Ontario :S.
    Insane likes this.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Still no updates, this is going to be a very long process.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, matrix, sorry it's taking so long... wonder if you've looked into fostering?
    A couple I know were fostering children for a while - at one time fostered two girls, sisters, and then adopted them.
    Angela273 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information