User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Justin Trudeau to run for leader

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 01:41 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I don't think there is any "in between" with JT. You either love him or hate him for whatever reason.
    Nah, I don't hate the guy - I think he's adorable - just the cutest thing ever, yes he is, yes he IS!

I just wouldn't vote for him.
    Last edited by DaveP; Wed, Sep 26th, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    There is a reason why doctor's kids become doctors and politicians kids become politicians: they grow up immersed in the field, they have parents that can guide them in great detail in that field, and they are encouraged to become interested in the field from a young age.
    Okay, but then why do minister's daughter's become... um, nevermind.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Y'know Dave ...that kinda thinking is very patronising.

The idea that a group of people, ie women, are soo verrry verry shallow the only way they can make a political decision is based on some-one's ( normally male) looks rather than having the slightest idea of what that person is standing for and who that person is running against's ideas..

I saw that exact arguement on far too many republican websites back in 2008, along with the idea that having a female candidate would explode the minds of the female demonocrats(sic) that McCain would be a shoo in winner.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

Justin is pretty
    Yes.
    So pretty.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last edited by Patty Smyth; Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Y'know Dave ...that kinda thinking is very patronising.

The idea that a group of people, ie women, are soo verrry verry shallow the only way they can make a political decision is based on some-one's ( normally male) looks rather than having the slightest idea of what that person is standing for and who that person is running against's ideas..

I saw that exact arguement on far too many republican websites back in 2008, along with the idea that having a female candidate would explode the minds of the female demonocrats(sic) that McCain would be a shoo in winner.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, Darth. Where did I say anything about women?

Do I think a significant portion of the electorate is shallow? Hell ya. Is that exclusive to women? Hell no.
    Last edited by DaveP; Wed, Sep 26th, 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Nah, I don't hate the guy - I think he's adorable - just the cutest thing ever, yes he is, yes he IS!

I just wouldn't vote for him.
    This.....you wouldn't vote for JT but you are inferring any-one who does is swayed by his looks, not any other personal or political quality..IN THE SAME WAY that the Republicans inferred that certain groups , ie women, voted for Obama because he was a younger and better looking man than McCain..

You never mentioned women, true...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

This.....you wouldn't vote for JT but you are inferring any-one who does is swayed by his looks, not any other personal or political quality..IN THE SAME WAY that the Republicans inferred that certain groups , ie women, voted for Obama because he was a younger and better looking man than McCain..

You never mentioned women, true...
    No, I really do think he's cute. I'm not kidding. I'd like to have a beer with the guy. I'm not talking just about looks, he definitely has a charismatic personality, he's an affable, likeable guy. I was responding to Patty who said people love him or hate him and I don't hate him even though I won't be voting for him. Sorry if I came off the wrong way.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last edited by Patty Smyth; Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

There is still a certain generation of Quebecers who will never vote for the Trudeau name, those who think PET betrayed them. "La nuit des longues couteaux" blah blah blah
    Yeah, but doesn't the Liberal party have just 7/75 seats in Quebec including Trudeau's seat? How can they go anywhere but up?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last edited by Patty Smyth; Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    There is a reason why doctor's kids become doctors and politicians kids become politicians: they grow up immersed in the field, they have parents that can guide them in great detail in that field, and they are encouraged to become interested in the field from a young age. These kids start putting in time towards their future profession at a time when other kids are most tuned in to video games and collectible dolls. I don't think they are handed anything. These kids earn their way...and the bar is set even higher for them as compared to others. No wonder they tend to excel.
    Maybe. Or maybe doctor's kids have tutors at home to help them with difficult projects & have easy access to doctors offices where they can volunteer & get experience which is needed to get into specialized programs. Or the doctors have friends & connections that provide an easier entree into these programs for their kids. Other kids don't have those things available.

Politicians' kids have it far easier in a way, since there are no educational qualifications to run for office. Name recognition is all that is needed. And if Dad/Mom is popular, Jr is all but handed a career (Jack Layton didn't claw his way out of obscurity to lead the NDP, his Dad was a Tory MP, the current mayor of Toronto is also the son of a Tory MP, a local councillor is the son of a well-respected journalist).

Sigh. Once upon a time, politics was for folks who were respected citizens & wanted to make a difference. All too often these days, it is the refuge of folks who can't get a job in the real world to save their souls.
    Last edited by Andit; Thu, Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Not *everyone*. The sad thing is that there *are* many who are shallow in this way. I (sadly) know more than one person who would vote for a candidate based on sex/gender/ethnicity/appearance. No doubt most folks on here know a voter like that as well.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Yeah same as when it was the cons with just Charest and Wayne after Mulroney threw Campbell under the bus. Can't get much worse.
    Campbell didn't get thrown under the bus, she wandered into the street on her own (before she became PM, I watched a news conference that she gave where she got every single fact wrong). A close friend of mine was working on Parliament Hill when all this was going on & confirmed my theory that she didn't have many connected brain cells.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information