User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Life brag

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

My DH decided to quit his job a little over one month ago. I was okay with it because his job was making him nuts. He worked at a tabagie (in english google is giving me tobacconist's shop not sure its right but I hope you understand). Anyway the manager was always on his back watching him on camera and telling him that he didnt do his job when he did. And on top on that he didnt have the right to sit during his shift (7-8 hours straight no break). So he quit his job and at first I was happy for him and tought that he would find a job quickly.

But time have past and he didnt find a job and he decided to return to school in the same AEC as me. (AEC early childhood education) I dont have a problem with that but the money is so tight and we are in debt. And he wont have the time to work a full time job. We are counting on the QC school program to help us. We are starting scool from home next week. At least we save on daycare.

During this past month a manage to do a budget of only $100 for groceries. I dont know how I did to not cry my eyes out. We always used to spend at least $600 on food per month. I used as many coupons as possible and I manage to do some donation too. What I proud of, it make me feels better to know that I make a difference in someone life.

I'm glad that I stock up on formula and diapers for my son. We didnt have the time to make an emergency found. At least I dont have to worry about that. I've been telling myself to do one for months. I'm kinda mad at myself to not have done one. But it'll be the first thing I do when I'll be able of.

I learned to take one day at the time. I use to see myself up to 6 month in the future. I was like OH NO I'm going to need shampoo in 3 months and go buy some. Now I take it easy, as long as my baby have everything he needs I'm okay. My DH helped me alot to understand that. He's his very easy going, what I thought it was a fault at first but now I think its the best quality he have.

It have been some good things that come out of this. I was in a severe post partum depression. I was always alone with my son and my DH worked 50 hours a week. My best friend moved away a few months ago so I didnt have nobody to rely to. But now that he's at home and I'm slowly getting better. One step at the time.

I never thought that this year would be so rough on both of us. But we're making goals for the next two years and this is what keep us from feeling bad. We told ourself that in the next two years we will have paid all our debt, go on vacantion (things that we never did), make an emergy fund and start putting money aside to buy a house.

I now love my husband and my son more than ever. They really are the best things that happened to me in my life. I dont know what I would do without them.

Do you have some tips for me to make a $100 groceries monthly budget work for 2 person? I really need advise. I dont know how many more months I can still do that.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by bibiee; Sun, Oct 7th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Natalka, Silk, nani and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Is there social assistance available to you and your husband?
    Does the school guidance counseling office or student services office have some information on assistance for students -- food and personal hygiene products? I am finding that more and more, schools are providing this service. They may not advertise it to everyone. You may have to ask.

Good luck.
    Natalka and bibiee like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I myself suffered from post-partum depression it's is awful to say the least. You can only understand once you have expierenced it. I am glad that you are feeling better, my own experience lasted 2 1/2 years. It's unfortunate that your husband is no longer employed, however, it is a blessing in another sense like you say, having him at home and knowing that you have his support is wonderful. As for grocery budgeting I really don't know that I can help in that regard, however, I an open to help you if you need coupons or would like to talk about how you are feeling and I experienced it first hand and can relate. Don't be too proud accept handouts from family & friends. If need be I believe that student associations in Quebec has a food pantry check with your school also take advantage of the snowsuit fund which I believe is taking names now for snowsuits etc...and toy mountain for Christmas gifts for your son.
    Best of luck to you and your family and please don't be shy if you need someone to chat or coupons.
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Sun, Oct 7th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Natalka, coley3, barato and 2 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Some university they also have student food bank and some other discounts. You may want to check at student union
    Natalka, Shwa Girl and bibiee like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I can really relate to what you are going through!! My husband lost his sight three years ago and his only source of income since then has been CPP disability (which just covers our mortgage payment). I have been in school since January and was able to get a student loan but there was not a heck of a lot left after tution and books and we have ourselves, two teenagers, a cat and a dog to feed.

Some of the things I do to save on groceries are:
    - buy bread when it is 50% off (and if there is a coupon it makes it even better!!) I generally don't spend more than a dollar on bread and when I can get it cheap I stock up and throw them in the freezer.
    - buy fruits/veggies/salads at 50% off
    - buy meats at 50% off and toss them in the freezer right away (was great when I had the chicken coupons!!)

I also check the food section at SDM for manager's special stickers on stuff like milk, yogurt, cereal, etc.

I really hope some of these tips help you.

Remember that you are not alone and getting through these tough times will make you a much stronger person!!
    Natalka, Silk, coley3 and 4 others like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

First, great story, I believe that positive though will get you everywhere in due time. Your doing the right steps to make your life better. Keep on going. I see you're in Ile Perrot, I would contact L'Actuel. Aside from the clothes and other stuff, they do provide all sorts of help like group cooking, food donation and others. Just give them a call and I'm sure you'll find lots of guidance and information. They are great. Here is their link.

http://www.lactuel.org/
    super_e, Natalka, Silk and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frankienitka View Post
    First, great story, I believe that positive though will get you everywhere in due time. Your doing the right steps to make your life better. Keep on going. I see you're in Ile Perrot, I would contact L'Actuel. Aside from the clothes and other stuff, they do provide all sorts of help like group cooking, food donation and others. Just give them a call and I'm sure you'll find lots of guidance and information. They are great. Here is their link.

http://www.lactuel.org/
    frankienitka, great that you have the local information about where the good programs are to help people out. That's the best thing about Smart Canucks -- helping each other out in times of need.
    linnyeg, Silk, coley3 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Sorry you are going through hard times, but it sounds like things are getting better, and that's always a good thing - most times having a positive attitude is more than half the battle!
    ------
    "Now I take it easy, as long as my baby have everything he needs I'm okay. My DH helped me alot to understand that. He's his very easy going, what I thought it was a fault at first but now I think its the best quality he have.

I now love my husband and my son more than ever. They really are the best things that happened to me in my life. I dont know what I would do without them.
    "
    ------
    I found you saying this about your husband SO much like what I went through after we got married! He was so easygoing, and I was a stubborn, spoiled, straightlaced control freak! He got me to see things in different perspectives, and it has definitely been for the better on my part!
    We, too, went through very hard times not long after we got married, and then again about 10 years later - but we stuck together, worked things out together, swallowed our pride and asked for help when we needed it - and things got better - always under all of this was our very strong bond with our marriage and our son - you may not be able to 'live on love' practically, but it sure helps one get through hard times.

Wishing you all the best!
    Silk, coley3, Shwa Girl and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I like this brag a lot. Sometimes people despair but then they remember that as long as their family is happy and healthy, they are still lucky.

Me and my husband spend $75 per week on groceries. We do this by truly buying only the things we need for that day. This is easy for me because I live in a high density area and there are 2 grocery stores and a butcher near work, and 5 grocery stores on the way home and I have a subway pass so I can get off wherever I want. Don't know if this is feasible for you but if we want meat that day for example, I'll stop at the store that has meat on sale and only buy enough for that dinner and a bit leftover so I can take it to work for lunch the next day. We rarely throw out anything (I don't think couponing is very "green" but I try to be as green as I can and not buy more than we need).

The freezer is your friend. If produce is on an incredible sale, I will freeze it and use it later. If you cut it all up and stuff it in a ziploc it makes dinner a lot easier because you don't have to cut and wash every time. But otherwise if we only need 5 mushrooms, I will only buy 5 mushrooms.

Growing your own vegetables in the summer is a great way to save money. We had free tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, green beans and basil from my parents who grow it in their backyard. My parents have free sauce now from the tomatoes and share it with us. And it is all organic! All it takes is a few minutes to water them every day. We would grow more ourselves but the balcony is very small so only fits 2 plants

Goodluck to you and your family! Being out of work is so hard. I am only 30 years old and have been laid off 6 times. I totally get how hard it is, but you will survive
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Oct 8th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Natalka, coley3, Shwa Girl and 4 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post

Me and my husband spend $75 per week on groceries. We do this by truly buying only the things we need for that day. This is easy for me because I live in a high density area and there are 2 grocery stores and a butcher near work, and 5 grocery stores on the way home and I have a subway pass so I can get off wherever I want.
    My mom did this too, back in the day. She was in her 20s and just bought what she needed. She couldn't afford a freezer back then, but was able to stretch her money as far as possible, and eat healthy food.

It's funny that you are doing the same in 2012 and she did that back in 19xx too.

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

Thank you everybody for your love and support. It feels better to know that I'm not alone in this. Your tips are very usefull, I'll try to apply them in the future. Even if I'm young, me and my huband have been maried for one year and been together for five years. And we've been through alot together and I know that we can go through this rough time. I know it wont be always happy times but al least we have eachother.
    And I believe that this experience will only make us stronger & appreciate more what we have.

I never tought I would receive so much support. Once again thank you so much everyone
    Last edited by bibiee; Mon, Oct 8th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
    linnyeg, Natalka, Silk and 6 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Bibiee, here is another link for you and your husband
    http://www.scholarshipscanada.com/
    you just make your own profile, and according to that they will let you know what kind of grants or scholarship you can apply. Sometimes is worth to do the one that they ask you for a small essay, since no to many like to do that you have a better chance.
    good luck

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

If you ever want to chat, you can always PM me, or someone else...

Or, come join us in The Tea Room - general threads and a chat thread there, too!

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/general...sion-tea-room/
    Silk, barato, bibiee and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I can't give any tips better than what has already been given. I love your positive attitude and am sending SC love your way.
    Silk, ninna, bibiee and 2 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Bibiee do you have a car or you need to do all your grocery shopping in your area?

Salut Bibiee! As-tu une auto ou tu dois composer uniquement avec les épiceries dans ton coin?
    Je sais que tu utilises déjà Pharmaprix... Quelles sont tes autres ressources?
    cath007, bibiee and jasperandchar like this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information