User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: A year with no salary :( Advice?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xox2010 View Post
    What are the job prospects like in your area? Are you sure you'll be able to find a position in that field once your finished schooling? I say this because I personally know people who went through teachers college and then couldn't find a position. (I live in the Ottawa area)
    Initially, I would have had no problem getting a job teaching English as a second language because I live in Quebec and they are mostly French schools. In addition, with the Bill 101, all immigrants have to attend French school. HOWEVER...with the recent election of Pauline Marois to be our PM, she has decided to cut down the English classes in elementary schools. However, I can teach elementary, high school, or adult ed. I can even work in companies where staff needs to be trained how to handle English customers and so forth. I'm not too worried about getting a job...Moreover, I can teach any subject that I feel comfortable with...because I have a teaching Bachelor....it's just that it's specialized in ESL
    Natalka, hok2 and xox2010 like this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    I looked up the money thing last night, and depending on the education (whether you do a 3year university degree before a 1year teaching degree, versus 4year degree and 2year teaching degree) the range is here. http://resource.educationcanada.com/salaries.html/ so from what natynat says she'll be in the range of $36 - $56k (though I think these numbers might be slightly old). I think people sometimes forget how, in a double income situation that means, assuming your bf is making similar, that's 80-100k per year, on the low end 70k. I teach at the university level, after nine years of university (4 year BSc and 5 year PhD), and I make less than 30k per year (for part-time academics, meaning I am not tenured in. If I was and doing the same thing, I'd make 50-60k starting). This is temporary for me, but just be aware of that for teaching at a university... Unless you get a tenure track position, it is generally peanuts.

As for the original question: I would highly suggest tutoring which can easily be an evening/weekend job for an hour or two here and there. Here I charge $25/hr, or $20 if there are a lot of sessions with that person. It was always my fun money because you can't really completely count on it since people do cancel, etc. but I used to make $100-200/week with that. If you need something more concrete, then you need a "real" job. Also, is it possible to get a Student Line of Credit for that time? Not the greatest idea, but it helped me in the past few years when things got tight (assuming you are disciplined with it and don't use it as a 10k account to buy coffee/clothes ) - you'd need a co-signer though. I'd also suggest a small (upright) freezer to start being able to work on cutting the food section of your guys budget. Can you increase your hours a little bit per week now to save a little nest egg? You said you work 20 hr/week... Even if you worked an extra 5hr shift, then you could set that aside for next year. Or start tutoring now if possible and set that aside separate from your 20 hr/week.

Sorry that is all I have... Good luck. It's only one year! Start skimping now so you're used to it when it's mandatory and then you'll have a little extra as well. Oh, and there are scholarships out there, not bursaries that people just don't apply to. I got one for $2000 that I swear I was the only person to apply. They don't all need to be bursaries.
    Thank you for such a great reply . I will be working 2 days for sure, I've decided...and then try to get some tutoring in between. Right now I can't do more than 20 because there are no hours out there for me. But as of December I will be getting more because my co-worker is leaving. That and the summer...I'll be doing lots of hours. And we're not going on vacation or anything like that so I'll be saving. My birthday and my boyfriend's fall on the month of October so we will be asking for grocery gift cards! I'm stocking up on bodywash and cream and all cleaning supplies so I won't have to spend money on that next year...just the groceries. And the freezer...it's something I'm arguing with my boyfriend about lol...he says there's just no space for it. THank you again for taking your time to reply!
    hok2 likes this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I totally missed the part that you are fluently bilingual. We pay 40.00 an hr for my older son's French tutor. Granted we are in the GTA so it is more expensive but she is a certified teacher as well so she knows the curriculm and so for us it was worth it to pay more and his marks reflect the extra cost. we have signed a contract and if we miss without proper notice I still pay her, she kept that timem for him and it seems wrong to not respect her time.
    hok2 likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I totally missed the part that you are fluently bilingual. We pay 40.00 an hr for my older son's French tutor. Granted we are in the GTA so it is more expensive but she is a certified teacher as well so she knows the curriculm and so for us it was worth it to pay more and his marks reflect the extra cost. we have signed a contract and if we miss without proper notice I still pay her, she kept that timem for him and it seems wrong to not respect her time.
    That's like music to my ears lol!!!
    hok2 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Internships-I can understand why you have to complete the three sessions back to back as they are compulsory to your studies and you were not able to do them one per year. I'd like to think that companies that are thinking globally and acting locally realize that even providing minimum wage to interns would be an ethical way to offset their expenses (meals, transportation, maybe even outfit needed for work/dress code) and to establish workplace respect for the future professional--if transit passes, monthly amount or honourarium were not offered along with the internships.

You are bilingual--there has to be something $$ jobwise that you can put that skill to use this year to make money (bilingual consumer or trade show work with show sponsors, call centres, government temp work, Berlitz>corporate training classes to orient their new international staff/executives to Montreal/Quebec business and language needs) to help you for next year. And that language duality could also help you in your school job search if you can apply to public or separate school boards or English-language and French-language school boards. Does your university offer students paid work to help with career centre events, weekend events held at the school, or jobs through the student association?
    Otherwise I suggest that you network like heck now at whatever business/bilingual event/alumni association event you can attend for free during lunch at university and after hours when you are not working/weekends to find out leads for better paying work to replace what you are doing now. I am assuming that your bus pass will take you far through the city if you have the chance to meet people in your field of work or school boards (public information meetings/board meetings to put names to faces, so you can try to talk "work/ESL."
    hok2 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Tell me about it. I believe the education program is the only one that doesn't pay the students for the internships...fml.

This may come as a surprise, but bilingualism in QC doesn't really mean all that much. Everyone is pretty much bilingual. You have to be...even to work in McDonald's (no offense to anyone that does). Plus, to work at a "good" job, you need to be able to put in 40 hours a week. So I work at a driving school as a secretary...it has it's benefits...I get paid to do my homework when it's quiet. Had I done my internships the was that I was supposed to, I could have been substituting right now and making $180 a day...but everything is messed up lol. At the same time, I don't want to go into a new job just to be there for a year. But time will tell. Thank you for your amazing feedback, I appreciate it
    matrix82, hok2 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Some Ontario companies hiring people to work their customer service centres or sales departments are routinely wanting bilingual applicants that know Quebec French>the job ads state that detail. Yet the schools in Ontario are teaching standard Parisian French in the English schools. Maybe senior-level high school French courses introduces some Franco-Ontarian words in the course textbook now (I saw some words in grade 13 that until that point were not in the textbooks used to teach the grammar and vocabulary in grades 9-12).
    And I understand that those schools that teach French immersion in Ontario don't necessarily have a standard format followed across the province beyond the curriculum. I'm aware that parents that love their children's French immersion school teachers are loathe to have their children bumped out of schools due to demand for spaces in the elementary grades.
    Bilingualism (English/French) is something of the elephant in the room issue here in Ontario.
    hok2 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Any way you can get as much of your term's work done early as possible and work part time in retail over the holidays? Lots of stores are looking for extra staff.
    hok2 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am fascinated by this post.

I am currently a full-time student and living as frugally as I can. I live in student residence (the cheapest possible dorm we have on campus). I allocate $25 per week per groceries, $1 per day for entertainment money, and $25 per month for households *including shampoo, conditioner, cleaning supplies, etc. Let's just say, I don't eat out or go out, unless it is free.

I am actually amazed how many free events, discounts, and freebies I can get on campus and/or being a student. I order online freebies, samples, coupons etc. I plan my groceries for an entire week and try to eat as healthy as possible. It is amazing what you can find when you look for it.

As for clothing, you may want to consider a clothing swap with your friends. You will probably need some professional clothing.

I also work part-time and take on odd jobs when ever I can. If friends ask me what I want for gifts, I always ask for Starbucks gift cards - these are my study reward treats. It is something I love and appreciate. I can also study there for hours with free refills. But pick something that suits you. I am also very generous and often regift freebies.

Good luck!
    matrix82, hok2 and emg like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

A clothing swap, what a great idea. I would have loved that during my university days when I was much smaller .
    hok2 likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Are you good at writing articles? There are many forums online where people would pay you money to write articles for them with more money especially if you're very good. You can probably get 2 cents per word if your sales page is attractive enough. It's all about how you market yourself, but there is a demand for website content. That's one avenue that you can work towards pursuing. Paid surveys, gift reward sites and incentive freebie websites are also something that you can try as well to supplement your income.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that's replied. I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to some of you...I'm just swamped in papers and exams until the end of the month. I do appreciate all the support, thank you so much

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Open an ingdirect account and get $50 cash and then do some referals and you get a $100 or $200 or more to your account and plus your friends will Thank You (my friends were very happy when they got the cash in their account) for finding them cash. I got some cash here from refering my friends. Also, some banks offer bonus when you open ancccount with them and then have some kind of direct deposit or automated payment, and they will reward you $150 or so after usually 3moths. I got once $200 from TD for simply save (some kind of saving program, u don't really need to have much cash to do that) and $150 from Scotia Bank, and $150 from TD, and $100 from ING Direct. So, do the math, $50+$200+$150+$150+$100=$650. So, there all you have to do is some paper work and talking, no hours. and the best of luck.
    Last edited by freefreefree; Mon, Nov 12th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
    matrix82 and natynat like this.
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

Sounds like a year of scrimp & save! I am contemplating taking a year off work for personal reasons, and people on here are very helpful & generous with advice/comments & coupons. Trading for stamps might be an option for those tear pads that bring "free" food after use. Lots of spaghetti & sauces you can get free with coupons, bread sometimes & deodorant...using home made laundry soap, fabric softener & cleaning products may help save. I see ground beef is on sale this week for $2/lb at No Frills...doesnt' get much cheaper than that!
    Good luck!!
    natynat likes this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I'm thinking of investing in a freezer so that when meat is on sale I can stock up. I bought ground pork at 99c/lb yesterday. So a huge pack of it only cost me $3.

Just an update to this post. My grandma will be helping me out financially, so will both my and my boyfriend's parents. I'll be getting a loan from school and from the government, and hopefully another bursary. I may look into applying for a scolarship.

Other than that, I'm very stocked up on shampoo and body wash, as well as laundry detergents. I won't have to buy any of that! I'll try to work full time (depends on the hours work gives me) during the summer and put some away for the school year. Then there's going to be the winter break where I can work more hours. The internship in the spring of 2014 won't be the full semester since I'll be doing half semester courses. I think I will be fine. And, of course, I will use your advice. What a great community this is
    walkonby likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information