User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Fostering

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    CanadianBella, when I saw your thread title, I was wondering why you were thinking of foster children when you are so young. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Glad I read your thread.
    For us, it would be hard to give up the fur babies once they have spent time with us. So that's why we don't do it.
    I'd totally foster children too, if I could!
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use to foster for a Jack Russell Rescue. In a two year period of time I fostered 7 dogs. Only one caused me a lot of heart ache and it still hurts. Oliver was an older guy that was found in a ditch almost dead. A vet fixed him up and called the rescue because he had some biting issues and needed to be in a foster home. He was scared of all males but was okay with my oldest son. Sadly after a month he attacked my son from across the room for no reason. After taking him the a vet it was in his best interest to help him to the bridge. Poor Oliver had been so badly abused that he had brain damage and was in pain. But he did leave us with 3 sets of loving hands on him.

I had to stop fostering because of my foster failure, Skippy. He couldn't be adopted because he was a fear bitter and after 4 months of being with my family we just had to make him part of the family. Plus we now have another dog that is a service dog and we just don't have the time or space to foster. Hopefully in the future we will foster again.
    vesper likes this.
    Not All Disabilities Are Visible. Proud owner of a medical alert wonder pup. (formally a puppy mill pup that was rescued and assists a special needs child)

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

DH and I started fostering dogs when we were in Newfoundland. We started with a young 2 years old, extremely shy beagle named Molly. She found her forever family 3 weeks later. We then took in Mason, a 9 years old Beagle/Border Collie mix with serious health issues and no inside manners at all. We worked hard with him and were there everytime he had a seizure. We ended up adopting him.

When Mason passed away in May 2011 we decided to wait a bit. We were back in Montreal and had another dog we adopted from a shelter but we had to grieve our lost of Mason, he did quite an impression on us. We searched for private rescue groups and had quite the headaches with that. The first one we found seems a little too eager for us to "dump" just any dogs on us.

Since we have Sherri, she has some issues of her own and she is not getting any younger, we were very specific on what we could and couldn't take in. Sherri doesn't like female dogs, excited dogs (especially big dogs) and she needs to approuve who she will share her home with. Which I find pretty normal. When we filled out the application, we mentioned all of the above plus no beagle. DH has a soft spots for Beagles and I didn't want him to have his heart broken evertime the dog got adopted.

The fist dog they offered was a female rottie of 7 months... errrr no! The second was a beagle... *sigh* Have you read the application we filled? I finally told them to forget us when they offered a 11 months old German Shepperd... Oy!

I contacted another private rescue group, spoke 2 hours on the phone with the person responsible and I just knew they were right for us. She had the same point of view we did and insisted that Sherri was our priority. I liked her right away.

She first came to introduce Hambone, a Treeing walker Coonhound (yeah, a mouthful but that is indeed a breed). Sherri smelled him then ignored him. It was a match! We fostered him for a month before he was adopted. Then we had Picsou, a Chihuahua that was not housebroken, scared of people and so underweight I nearly cried. All those issues were resolved within 2 weeks. He would come with me show apartments and he saw people as potential play partners. He would ask for the door when he had to go and I couldn't count his ribs anymore. Of course that sweetie was adopted within a month.

We did a few weeks with Chico, a highly territorial, little bossy man su but couldn't keep him since he bit one of my tenants. I can deal with being bitten but it was my job we were talking about.

I am no longer fostering since we adopted another rescue but I can say that was a great experience. We know Sherri doesn't have much longer with us and we know that her passing will be hard on us and we will not want another dog but I am pretty sure we will foster again.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

You can see our foster babies in my albums: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members...foster-babies/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have never fostered, but we do have 2 adopted cats.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh wow ArielMac, can't believe they'd just ignore your requests. You're doing THEM a favor by helping them with their dogs. Bah

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Yeah, some really just dump the animal instead of evaluating if it's a good place for them. Some rescues in Montreal just scouts the pounds, take pictures, put it on FB and ask for a foster family. They have not evaluated the dog for temper or anything. So don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and follow your instinct. If you feel something is not right, it's probably because it isn't!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Strange I found this thread today. I have fostered many batches of kittens I have come across in my yard at my old place. Hand fed for 6 weeks and then found homes for them. Yesterday I found 3 kittens under my patio. They look about 4 weeks old. The mom was around but I couldn't catch them. I called the Humain Society and they are full! I am number 11 on the list to be called to bring them in. So sad. Anyway, today I went out and it seems mommy kitten has moved them :-(. I left food and water but it seems like they are hidden some where else now.
    vesper likes this.
    Help my FRIENDS Son get to Halifax. He just made the ONTARIO SPEED Skating team!
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/se...ifax/x/2470682
    I started my own blog for friends and family!http://tracyscouponexperiments.blogspot.com/

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielmac View Post
    Yeah, some really just dump the animal instead of evaluating if it's a good place for them. Some rescues in Montreal just scouts the pounds, take pictures, put it on FB and ask for a foster family. They have not evaluated the dog for temper or anything. So don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and follow your instinct. If you feel something is not right, it's probably because it isn't!
    I know a rescue that does this, but it's because they have very little time before the dogs are put down. Kind of like 'Someone take them, we'll do the work once they're safe somewhere'

Quote Originally Posted by eve160450 View Post
    Strange I found this thread today. I have fostered many batches of kittens I have come across in my yard at my old place. Hand fed for 6 weeks and then found homes for them. Yesterday I found 3 kittens under my patio. They look about 4 weeks old. The mom was around but I couldn't catch them. I called the Humain Society and they are full! I am number 11 on the list to be called to bring them in. So sad. Anyway, today I went out and it seems mommy kitten has moved them :-(. I left food and water but it seems like they are hidden some where else now.
    Awe Are you going to take them in if you find them?
    eve160450 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Awe Are you going to take them in if you find them?
    I have 2 cats already so I probably won't keep them. I will find good homes. It's cold out tonight so I just wish I could find them. I just saw the mum eating the food in my backyeard and then she walked next door. They might be there. I'm gonna check it out.
    Help my FRIENDS Son get to Halifax. He just made the ONTARIO SPEED Skating team!
    I started my own blog for friends and family!http://tracyscouponexperiments.blogspot.com/

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eve160450 View Post
    I have 2 cats already so I probably won't keep them. I will find good homes. It's cold out tonight so I just wish I could find them. I just saw the mum eating the food in my backyeard and then she walked next door. They might be there. I'm gonna check it out.
    Put an old towel out, that's probably the quickest 'trap' I could think of. You'll find 'em around it! Or a piece of tuna lol!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sardines can attract cats from a block away and keep em coming back to. I hope momma comes aruond aagain soon!
    eve160450 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Sardines can attract cats from a block away and keep em coming back to. I hope momma comes aruond aagain soon!
    I have been feeding them (leaving food out) since I found them. Soon as they see me they bolt. I left a carrier out with a towel in it but no luck. They are very wild I think and are spooked. I'll keep trying to find them as I think the mommy didn't take them too far.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Update...with the help of the nice man next door I have 2 of the three kittens. Still trying for the third this weekend.
    kazm-l likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

how long does it take for a foster cat to adjust to a new home?

i know each cat is different

but what is the average time
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information