User Tag List

Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks you so much for the information Randall. I started using a pressure cooker last year and love it, so this is the next step. My husband does a lot of elk and moose hunting, I am looking forward to canning stews and soups. Thanks for the tip on buying the gauge and the racks, I had read about the racks but not the gauge. I will check my stove manufacturer and start shopping!!
    cheekysaver likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Thanks you so much for the information Randall. I started using a pressure cooker last year and love it, so this is the next step. My husband does a lot of elk and moose hunting, I am looking forward to canning stews and soups. Thanks for the tip on buying the gauge and the racks, I had read about the racks but not the gauge. I will check my stove manufacturer and start shopping!!
    I finally broke down and tried pressure cooking 5 years ago, will never go back, I'm a real convert now, like you. As for pressure canning, I can a lot of meat. Half our meat is in jars now. The USDA has directions for canning venison -- and bear lol. Let me know how you make out, feel free to fire off the smallest question. I may not know where the answer is but someone else may.
    cheekysaver and thriftygranny like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks again, I am going to with the 16 size from amazon to start. We have gone from 4 kids to one so I think the smaller one will do to start, I can always go bigger if I feel the need and go from there!!
    cheekysaver likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Thanks again, I am going to with the 16 size from amazon to start. We have gone from 4 kids to one so I think the smaller one will do to start, I can always go bigger if I feel the need and go from there!!
    /me nods. The 16 is actually my favourite size. I use it a lot as a big-*ss cooking pot, too. For canning, the heating, 10 minute venting and coming up to pressure can be about 100% faster than the 23 quart, at times. With an electric stove (and I'm in Ontario), you are counting every second these days as we enter an era of fuel poverty in Ontario, so it counts.

You might not need the second tray with the 16 quart, unless you want to do stacking for these jars sizes:

http://www.healthycanning.com/presto-canners/#double-decking-in-the-16-quart-presto

Edit: the only downsides to the 16 are (a) not tall enough to stack 1/2 litre (US pint) jars; (b) it's also great for water-bathing but just isn't quite tall enough to waterbath the litre (US quart) jars. 1/2 litres (US pints) are the largest you can water-bath in it.
    Last edited by Randal Oulton; Mon, Oct 19th, 2015 at 01:48 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

That is a great website Randy, yup 16 it is.For as little as the rack costs I think I will get it, it will be great for small jars of anitpasto etc. Thanks again!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    I finally broke down and tried pressure cooking 5 years ago, will never go back, I'm a real convert now, like you. As for pressure canning, I can a lot of meat. Half our meat is in jars now. The USDA has directions for canning venison -- and bear lol. Let me know how you make out, feel free to fire off the smallest question. I may not know where the answer is but someone else may.
    I think that there is a recipe in one of those books for canning squirrel...I would have to be pretty desperate for that! Thrifty granny if you live close to the us border you can get the canner rack and the regulator for about $9 each and have it shipped to a us shipping place. Even with exchange and driving over etc it is still way cheaper. You will love pressure canning. For me it is way easier than water bath canning. If I could find information on times etc for pressure canning water bath canning recipes I would pressure can them instead no dealing with all that water. Happy canning!
    cheekysaver and Randal Oulton like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I wish I was near the border but sadly no. I will have to go the Amazon route bu that's okay. I am excited to get started!
    I don't want to talk about eating squirrel, my son is very interested in Taxidermy and practiced on squirrels when he started, I can't tell you how many squirrels in different poses he did, he is has moved on to big game but he makes great part time money doing it for people. I don't get it but to each their own! I find it really creepy!!
    cheekysaver and scouponer like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    For me it is way easier than water bath canning. If I could find information on times etc for pressure canning water bath canning recipes I would pressure can them instead no dealing with all that water. Happy canning!
    Scuponer, I switched from water bath canning to steam canning the minute it was approved this summer. No more dealing with all that water; you use same processing times as per water bath canning but it's ready to go in about 10 minutes as opposed to 30, 40 minutes for the water to boil. You can get steam canners with gauges built into the lid to tell you exactly when to start your timing. With the fiasco that electricity prices are now in Ontario, it didn't come a minute too soon for those of us with electric stoves here. Saves a lot of water, too. I got mine on amazon.ca. The Victorio stainless steel one (had to get that one as I have a glass top stove.)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolthepickle View Post
    On the same subject has anyone made salsa with corn and/or beans in it?
    Nicol, I have just learnt of a second tested corn salsa recipe, that looks pretty good, and Ball has tested it for safety. The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVyxpr2-hUA and the actual recipe is here: http://hoosierhomemade.com/spicy-corn-salsa/
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just finished 11 pints of applesauce...1/2 bushel of apples cost only $3! It is delicious. Also dehydrated 2 cabbages. And am working on 3 bottles,of apple cider vinegar. First time making so we will see how it goes. Got non sprayed apples for free from neighbours tree. They are pretty tart but decided now that that I have them all cut up I would make small batch of apple sauce and give to neighbour. I added a bit of sugar to this batch because of how tart the apples are but hopefully she will be happy to get a couple of jars. Later today or tomorrow I will do brandied apples ...if they are anything like the pears...so yummy. I pressure canned applesauce according to instructions from presto booklet so easy 6 lbs for 8 minutes. Thursdaynwill try again with the pork loin I bought yesterday. Off to a well deserved massage!
    cheekysaver likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just finished 11 pints of applesauce...1/2 bushel of apples cost only $3!
    How did you get 1/2 bushel for 3 dollars?
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    How did you get 1/2 bushel for 3 dollars?
    It was from a farm market that was closing for the season. They were seconds, perfect for sauce. Reg apples were $12 a half bushel. Wished I bought a 2nd bushel, not good for eating but they made awesome sauce.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tried one of the jars of pork loin I canned a couple of weeks ago to see if I liked it before committing to can large pork loin sitting in my fridge. Added a tiny bit of BBQ sauce and some water. It was amazing!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think that there is a recipe in one of those books for canning squirrel...Happy canning!
    Name:  squirrel.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  Squirrel-024-photoshopped.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  69.1 KB
    cheekysaver likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Oh my that does't look very appealing....I think we have a squirrel in that pose though!!!!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread Information