User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Playing chicken with my coupons and coming out the winner!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

OK, ‘FESS UP. Who else plays ‘chicken’ with their coupons trying to get the best possible savings? By this I mean holding on to coupons that you will definitely use for products that you definitely need… the only variable being how long you will wait for a sale before the coupon expires. You’re roaring down the road at full speed and the expiry date is barreling towards you in the opposite direction. How close do you dare get and who will blink first?

In my case, here are the major players (drumroll please):

Coupons: $6 any Centrum Forte or Select (100/120s) and $6 any Caltrate or Caltrate with Vitamin D (60/75s)
    Expiry date: Dec 31 2012
    Acquired coupons: Feb 2011 (SpinUWin promo)
    The beneficiaries: My parents, whom (bless their hearts) aren’t getting any younger and need their vitamins

I had been waiting and waiting for these products (especially the Centrum) to go on sale. And I mean a real sale, not a $9.97 okay deal. I figured my best bet would be the annual September Walmart anniversary sale. Sept 2011 rolled around and WM had special bonus packs of Centrum (60s) plus hand sanitizer for $4.97 –- used $4 Centrum tear pads that were available at the time so that was a good deal. But the $6 coupons were still burning a hole in my proverbial pocket. And then this past September, the 60ct boxes were on for $5.98 (didn’t buy any because my parents still had some Centrum left from the previous deal and I was counting on my $6 coupons to see them through 2013).

I admit, as the calendar flipped to November, I was starting to get nervous. My hands were clammy on the steering wheel and yet I couldn’t let my foot off the gas. Was I going to crash into the expiry date? Call 9-1-1, I might need the jaws of life.

And then last night while I was zooming down the highway in passing lane, I saw a sign.

And another sign.

My eyes instinctively looked in the rearview mirror. Could I make it across two lanes of traffic with the exit ramp fast approaching? Should I even attempt it? There was no guarantee that (A) there would be any stock left and (B) Centrum 50+ would be included.

After only a moment’s hesitation I signaled to the right and managed to exit the highway safely. And boy, am I glad I did.

Saving an additional $14.02 on taxes on top of the coupon + sale savings? Don’t mind if I do!

But there’s no rest of the weary. I’m already back on the highway with my $5 Centrum and $5 Caltrate coupons I got in Feb 2012. My chicken partner is the Dec 31 2013 expiry date. Who will blink first? Only time will tell.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

icyjess
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Awesome
    sharkie and barginb like this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Excellent haul and highly entertaining post!!!!!

I have some good ones chilling in my binder for over a year so I know what you mean!!!!

Congrats!!!!
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

thats so funny. massive savings for you!!

When life hands you lemons, make a lemon pie... lemonade will be all like WTH?!?

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Loved your story! Great savings too!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

great brag and very creative too!! I think we all do that...it's part of the fun!
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

gret buys -yep sometimes hang on to them we all do for sure -its all a game

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Awesome brag! Congrats on winning at the end. I really enjoyed reading it.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Name:  great-job.gif
Views: 279999
Size:  35.1 KB
    barginb likes this.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you – not because they are nice, but because you are.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I loved your post. Vitamins are boring and while you did get a good deal I would of read it and forgot about your brag promptly but I LOVED your story behind it especially because it was the truth. Getting closer and closer and closer to each other and see who will blink first. I hate wasting a coupon but I also hate not using it to its full potential.

Awsome deal, so glad your parents can get their vitamins for cheap thanks to their thoughtful child
    hollyquaiscer, ticul and barginb like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Great story!!
    I lost out big time playing chicken with my nestea FPCs I won in the contest. I won twice, so 104 coupons total, traded some, and used some when metro had bonus airmiles. I dont drink the stuff, so I was the nestea dealer to friends and family, and I gained a crap load of airmiles in the process.
    Waited for another points or airmiles deal, and lo and behold the coupons expired!! Gah! I had to throw out about 40 FPC!!! Lesson learned.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I loved your post. So entertaining. I do the same thing. I waited for a sale on Powerade and lost out on 2 FPC's. I was 1 day late So frustrating. But overall I usually win the chicken matches. Thanks to SC of course.
    barginb likes this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Trading Score
    455 (100%)

That my dear is extreme couponing...WTG...and extremely funny !! Thanks for the laugh!!
    barginb likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

great story, and great savings!

barginb likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

lmao. side splitting! LOVE the deal and the no tax is the icing on the cake!
    barginb likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information