User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Photo of man about to die - NY Post Cover

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The photos of people jumping from the towers were among the photos I was thinking of when I wrote earlier that above image is one of the most disturbing pictures I've ever seen. I'll never be able to erase them from my mind. It must have been horrible to have been there in person!
    If the photographer in this case had come out and said, "I'm a news photographer. Taking pictures of things as they happen is what I do," I would still have disagreed with the decision to print the photo on the front page, but I would have had a whole lot more respect for the guy than I do now.
    There's an area of the brain called the hypothalamus which causes involuntary responses to fear. Some people are blessed with brains that cause them to snap into action (fight or flight). They make great police officers and EMTs. But many more people completely freeze when they encounter danger. Unfortunately you don't get to choose how your body will react. Most of the people who read a story and ask why someone didn't do something have never been in a real emergency.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There's an area of the brain called the hypothalamus which causes involuntary responses to fear. Some people are blessed with brains that cause them to snap into action (fight or flight).
    Great post!

I think training plays a role to. When you have played out a certain scenario and train for it, your mind just snaps into action.
    Patty Smyth, walkonby and i_forget like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Great post!

I think training plays a role to. When you have played out a certain scenario and train for it, your mind just snaps into action.
    That's very true. I think with training, a person would be conditioning their mind to accept as normal and routine what would normally cause a fear response. But there would have to be some aptitude in the first place before they would even undergo that kind of training.
    Patty Smyth, walkonby and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Even if the victim did start an argument... there's nothing that anyone could say to me that would make me push them on to train tracks

And, in my book The NY Post has achieved a new low even by tabloid journalism standards in the publishing of the picture

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They should have an emergency call box so a person can tell them someone is on the tracks and have them stop the train.They should have barriers in the station along the tracks so no one can pushed on to the tracks.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecountess View Post
    Even if the victim did start an argument... there's nothing that anyone could say to me that would make me push them on to train tracks

And, in my book The NY Post has achieved a new low even by tabloid journalism standards in the publishing of the picture
    This person who pushed this man was I think mentally disturbed and under the influence.
    thecountess likes this.

Stifler
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    What do you think? All I can say is the poor family also crosses the line of "need to know" in my opinion.

You're not helping the process by posting yet another picture on a random forum....should of just posted the story.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 01:50 PM.
    frugal50 likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    You're not helping the process by posting yet another picture on a random forum....should of just posted the story.

Then don't look. The title of the thread is clear enough.

Stifler
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Then don't look. The title of the thread is clear enough.
    Then don't pretend to by sympathetic when you're posting that. Think of the guys family. What if that was your father? Would you appreciate someone posting a picture of it....
    saveadollardiva likes this.

Stifler
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    See this is why people did not want to get involved: you have a dirty homeless guy on drugs vs. a belligerent drunk, who is going to step in and solve that argument? In NYC?

Even the most pure of heart would hesitate
    I feel the same...there's no good deed anymore. Being a good samaritan only gets you in trouble. There are some circumstances where you can help, but if you feel danger, stay away.
    saveadollardiva likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    This section of the forum is for promoting a dialogue on current events in the news, is it not?

The NY Post capitalized on this tragedy by publishing the picture to sell papers and rake in the $$$$... whereas there was no monetary gain for Patty in the starting of this thread. There's actually a big difference between the two.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    They should have an emergency call box so a person can tell them someone is on the tracks and have them stop the train.They should have barriers in the station along the tracks so no one can pushed on to the tracks.
    I really hope they implement both measures. These types of incidents are becoming more and more common.

Stifler
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecountess View Post
    This section of the forum is for promoting a dialogue on current events in the news, is it not?

The NY Post capitalized on this tragedy by publishing the picture to sell papers and rake in the $$$$... whereas there was no monetary gain for Patty in the starting of this thread. There's actually a big difference between the two.

If this ever happens to one of your family members (knock on wood) please come to the forum to discuss it as it will be 'current events'

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Feel free to ignore this thread at any time Stifler if it bothers you so much. SC is a big site.

eta or just report it as offensive if you like
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Thu, Dec 6th, 2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: eta

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information