• 1 Post By gourmetsue
  • 1 Post By oscarandme
  • 2 Post By jasperandchar
  • 1 Post By lara_schz

Thread: Stinky Washing Machine...help?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Does anyone know an effective way to rid the washing machine of that nasty, musty smell it accumulates over years of use?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

We take ours apart twice a year bc of the ring of soap residue and slime that forms like ring around the tub. If you dont use your washer every day it will start to smell, using it every day just means it doesnt have time to smell but it is still there

this is for an older top load

we just take flip the top back panel off, tilt the metal part that covers everything forward and under you have the plastic drum. Using a big bottle brush you can get rid of the soap ring.

its easier than it sounds, if you goggle your model number you should be able to find a repair site that will tell you how to get at the drum. For ours only a screw driver and a few screws is needed to get at the drum

you may even find a u tube video

once you have done that run a hot wash with some dishwasher detergent to rinse out any slimy soap that is left

you will be amazed at how gross the slimy stuff is and how caked it is.... Not sure where this stuff goes in a front end loader but am sure it is there
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Some people have used vinegar with a hot wash cycle to clean their machines. Others have used Tide Washing Machine cleaner with success.

We have a front loader and have found that water accumulates in the gasket around the door; I need to make certain that it is dry. As well, we always leave the door open and pull open the detergent drawer to air dry these.
    saundyl, anisa, Tweets77 and 6 others like this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Afresh Washer Cleaner Does AMAZING work try this first maybe an easy solution : )

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Ours had a smell (opps we have a front load washer and normally we leave the door open but it got closed some how) I ran a hot wash cycle with half a cup of vinegar. I looked at the tide washing machine cleaner and the Afresh washing machine cleaner and let be honest I was just way to cheap for those. I looked online some suggest vinegar some suggest baking soda, I decided to try the vinegar and worked wonderfully. I was worried my next load might smell a bit like a salad but there was no smell whatsoever and best part was, it was super cheap since we always keep vinegar in the house for cleaning purposes.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Affresh isn't that expensive with coupons lol ; )
    gourmetsue and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    Afresh Washer Cleaner Does AMAZING work try this first maybe an easy solution : )
    Glad to hear that! I've been looking at it and wondered if it actually worked.

We leave the door open all the time too. I do find if it has been closed for a few days it gets musty.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I have tried Affresh not a difference, I tried Javex, might have helped a bit I didn't noticea difference , tried vinegar, didn't notice a difference, but you know what finally started to make a difference? Lime-away (Lime-away fake brand). The problem was described as a kind of sludge that has built up on the drum and a product such as lime-away will take it away. We have had our machines for about 3 years now and I don't know what long term effects are by using this but I went to the Dollar Tree, initially the one in the states but we have one here now in Ottawa now, bought about 4 bottles, emptied one bottle in the machine, on warm water setting and ran on normal, twice and once in a while I do the same and it is finally gone. Another product that I heard about was Odoban sold at Home Depot in the states, not in Canada. Does not meet Canadian standards this is what they wrote to me when I sent them an email. If you try it, I hope it works as well for you. Good luck.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    Does anyone know an effective way to rid the washing machine of that nasty, musty smell it accumulates over years of use?
    Just curious - are you using powdered detergent?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I agree vinegar, cheap & works well. Best of luck
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Baking soda is what I tried with my washing machine when it gave me a stinky smell. I mixed two cups of baking soda and set the machine on hot and let it spin for 30 mins. This eliminated the odor and removed some residue which I speculated to be the residue of detergents. Another option that you can try would be your normal laundry bleach. I don't use it a lot because I am not fond of the smell of bleach but it is a better option than baking soda. I tried it once using two cups of bleach plus hot water and let the machine spin for 30 mins. Be sure not to get near the machine as the smell can really be harmful and can cause nausea. -lara
    Last edited by lara_schz; Mon, Feb 4th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Just curious - are you using powdered detergent?
    I use both, but a powdered detergent more often than not. I usually use "The Laundry Tarts" detergent, which is environmentally friendly and doesn't have nasty chemicals in it.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    Some people have used vinegar with a hot wash cycle to clean their machines. Others have used Tide Washing Machine cleaner with success.

We have a front loader and have found that water accumulates in the gasket around the door; I need to make certain that it is dry. As well, we always leave the door open and pull open the detergent drawer to air dry these.
    I always leave the door open as well.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I just noticed that mine have fabric softener residue sticky and greasy,,,,,so a clothe with water and a cleaning lol...or maybe one of those solution here....
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Ours had a smell (opps we have a front load washer and normally we leave the door open but it got closed some how) I ran a hot wash cycle with half a cup of vinegar. I looked at the tide washing machine cleaner and the Afresh washing machine cleaner and let be honest I was just way to cheap for those. I looked online some suggest vinegar some suggest baking soda, I decided to try the vinegar and worked wonderfully. I was worried my next load might smell a bit like a salad but there was no smell whatsoever and best part was, it was super cheap since we always keep vinegar in the house for cleaning purposes.
    I often add vinegar to my whites and they come out brighter and never come out smelling like salad. I also add it to darks to get smells like smoke or gas out and it doesnt damage the colors.

Thread Information