• 1 Post By lecale
  • 3 Post By marmaduke
  • 1 Post By floweredangel
  • 1 Post By MakaylaGreen

Thread: Wont get a job unless i am pretty

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Since moving here i have applied at about 60 places all of them online as that's how it seems to work around her for applying for jobs.I got 3 interviews the 3rd interview was with my aunt who is the supervisor at a restaurant up here.

So i go to the interview yesterday to talk to my aunt she has me fill out the application and she ask me a couple questions and said i would get a second interview for sure with her boss.So that's awesome then today she told me to call her about the second interview which i did..and she said i had a interview at 10 on Wednesday...great! but she continues that i need to do something with my hair and put on some make-up..um okay? i get making sure i look nice for a interview but then she continues on to stress that i need to pretty myself up a little..

Now okay..fine it stung little made me feel as if i was back in High school.Now before i continue to the interview i wore black dress pants,yellow top with a black hoodie zipped up pretty much all the way.I dont own much in jewellery except my necklace and wedding rings so i wore them both to look nice.

I also did my laundry the night before so all my clothes were clean and i had a shower the night before washed my hair and heck i even had a bath 2 hours before the interview to wake myself up.

I am not big on doing my hair and make-up but heck i combed my hair! granted i do need a haircut.Regardless i thought i looked pretty okay! fast forward to half a hour ago.

My grandmother calls me and says she just got off the phone with my aunt.That most likely i will get the job at this place but then she went on a huge tirade about me needing to make sure that i pretty myself up and "why don't you call me if you don't have make-up"..idk why i would call my grandma if i don't have make-up to wear? and she says her and my aunt had this conversation about me needing to pretty myself up and gave me a lecture to make sure i shower etc..of course i know this! and i do!.

Then she finishes her rant that i better start making myself pretty or i wont ever get a job anywhere...

when she got off the phone i pretty much broke down crying.I own make-up but even when i do wear it all i put on is a little mascara and maybe eyeshadow.

Now i don't even want this job anymore..but i need the money but really i don't want the job after all that my aunt said and my grandma.I really need the money but i don't know if its even worth it now..a placement center finally called me yesterday i dont know if i should just call them back and have them help me find a job or what i feel as if i go to this interview tommrow i am just going to be judge on how i look by my aunt who isnt doing the interview but she will be there and will report back to my grandma if she thinks i looked like crap or not..

thanks if you read this all the way its more of a vent i guess..i just feel so cruddy
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    vesper likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Just get so mad when i go places and they say apply online and you do many times and nothing..3 years cashier experience,10+ years babysitting..references out butt..and nothing..i am really considering avon or some other type of selling from home company.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

as for an interview always best foot forward
    Last edited by Deb1197; Fri, Feb 8th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
    vesper likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm sorry you had to endure this! If you feel comfortable the way you look, then by all means I think you should just be you! It is wrong for someone to hire based on how they personally feel how you look, rather than what a good valuable person you are. I believe most hire on merit.

Good luck lady!
    Natalka likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

Family can't live with them/without them and there's nothing you can do about them
    The older generation are a funny folk at times, some still believe it's the MAN's job to bring home the bacon
    My dad is 80 and chastizes me (39) all the time for choosing to stay a single parent and not in his words
    "allow someone to provide for me"
    My ex is an and while I have Dated I have yet to find someone I want in my life beyond a Friend.
    We are each our own person and Family need to learn to respect that we all have our own needs and priorities!

Onto the job hunt!
    Ikea is still hiring. They offer well above minimum wage to start.
    Again you apply online and they usually offer about 20hrs a week to start. My DS is 19 & has been working there since before their opening.
    And is avg. 30+hrs wk, he just had his 1st performance review and is being moved around the Kitchen.

ONLY downfall is if you are NOT driving, Bus access is limited after 9 pm.
    BUT if you are working a closing Shift you are entitled to get a Cab Slip on each of those nights that will take you to PoloPark!

Free uniform shirts, Employee lunch pricing (Select meals $4 includes a drink as well)
    Friends and Family Discount of 15% There is also a defined benefits pkg once you hit XYZ Hours, regular reviews and better than avg rate increases.
    Everyone got a xmas bonus, Those who never missed or were not late received an additional cash bonus.
    DS is now earning just under $13/hr...

His other job (3yrs now) still only pays $0.50 over minimum wage.
    No chance for advancement, demanded overtime (when others pull no call~no show) Kitchen environment there is somewhat poisonous.
    They treat everyone poorly, the only reason he stays there is so he has somethng to do!

Keep looking for work, as frustrating as it can be at times even job hunting has gone digital.
    Personally I miss the days of "pounding the pavement" looking for a better job.
    Best of Luck to you!
    floweredangel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do they have Co-op in Winnipeg? They are always advertising jobs in Sask that pay $14 - $15 an hour. Not bad. Co-op workers are always happy people.
    Jezebel likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

You wore a hoodie to a job interview?

For an interview, you're expected to put your best foot forward, and for a woman, that typically includes (like it or not) subdued makeup, professional clothing, and well-groomed hair. I'd suggest showering the morning of the interview so you can do your hair without having slept on it.

I teach students who go out on internships, and I'm always reading the riot act about appropriate clothing and grooming for the workplace. Two-inch black roots need to be dealt with before an interview! Ironed shirts! No hoodies! No flip-flops! Shower every morning!

As a university student, I applied for a summer job in the office of a private country club. Once I was hired, I found out that they had hired me because I came in to apply wearing a work-appropriate dress. Others had come in wearing tank tops and cut-off denim shorts or jeans, which are all forbidden by a country club's dress code. You never know what they're looking for, but it sounds like you DO have the advantage of knowing what they're looking for, because your aunt is telling you what you should do. I get that you feel hurt, but I think your relatives have your best interests at heart, and if they're telling you something's wrong with the way you're presenting yourself, there probably is! Listen to them, and go and get that job!

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I have no clue what place you are applying for that your aunt really really wants you to dress up the way she speaks, only place that I know of here that discriminates against ALOT of people is HOOTERS, trust me it is NOT a place you want to work at anyways.

I think I remember you posting before but never answered back in that thread to any of us

What type of work are you looking for???

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I would probably say something if you came into an interview for me with a hoodie too, that or end the interview early, since it is your aunt, I think she is likely trying to spare you that coming from her boss (and since she is recommending a family member, it could reflect badly on her too if you do not come to the interview appropriately dressed)
    As far as working in a restaurant, you are handing people's food, if you don't look like you take care of yourself it gives a feeling of not caring about the food. Most companies are all about perception, even if they still hire on merit. We hire on merit, but one of those merits is also how you will represent our company to clients and if it is not within company guidelines... we can't even wear jeans on casual fridays
    Gazpache and Peachykeen2007 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 12:14 PM.
    vesper likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

A hoodie is not "interview wear". Since you have done a lot of babysitting and I'll guess in child appropriate (comfy, easy to wash) clothing you may be a little out of touch.
    I had to significantly change my resume when I started looking for work because I didn't know what they wanted.

I think your family is trying to help you and it is not coming across as kindly as they mean it.

Good luck.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

I'm sorry that you feel so hurt by your family. They may be cruel, but they do have your best interests at heart.

Hoodies are not generally accepted interview wear, even at Tim Horton's or McDonalds. Even if a place is casual dress (jean/tshirt) type company...they all expect someone to show up to an interview at least in "business casual" of dress pants and a nice shirt of some kind...

This may not be what you want to hear, but first impressions are important. You don't need to "pretty" yourself up with make-up if you don't want to, but the clothing at least is important, and a neat, well-kept hairstyle.
    Gazpache likes this.
    Visit my Facebook page for updates on Swagbucks, PrizeZombie, GiftHulk and more: http://www.facebook.com/<wbr>MoneyMakersandSavers
    Join me at ClixSense and earn Paypal cash: http://www.clixsense.com/?4773591

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I ended up getting the job working with my aunt at the fast food restaurant...booked myself in to get a IPL facial though hope it does not hurt.
    fitzgirl likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm a bit late but did just want to say that your family is saying that because they love you. It was probably hard for them to say that as they didn't want to hurt your feelings, but want you to do good in life. I know I went thru a period where I stopped wearing makeup, mostly because I wasn't a morning person and was probably pretty tired. Then a friend a work had the courage to tell me that I looked really good with make up on on how come I stopped. I was glad that she said that, it made me wake up! I started to wear my make up again and realized how nice I looked with it on.
    Its seems you have some facial problems so remember to wash your face off every night before bed.

Thread Information