User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Did u know your Donuts are not "Made" at Tim's anymore??

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This was part of a class action suit against the Tim Horton's head office by some of the franchisees. I just copied the excerpt about the donuts, but you can click on link for store. Fact remains. . . .quality is no longer there. . .

The case, which our group wrote about earlier this year, was a class action launched by a number of franchisees of the iconic Canadian quick service restaurant chain Tim Horton’s. The claim arose from the introduction of a new lunch menu and the switch from baking donuts and pastries from scratch on-site to a par-baking system known as the “Always Fresh Conversion”. The conversion features products being partially baked at a central facility, flash-frozen and shipped to stores where they are then finished in specialized ovens. This eliminated the need to employ professional bakers at all franchise locations and ensured consistency across the franchise system.

http://grossmancga.com/site/2013/01/...mber_206762279
    This thread is currently associated with: Tim Hortons

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The only thing that the bakers ever baked was the donuts, the tea biscuits and muffins. Everything else was always done in this manner. The only partial exception were the old cinnamon buns, croissants and Danishes which were "proofed" before they were baked....they all came in boxes frozen.

There is a bakery not far from my house that does the baking for Tim's. you can smell the donuts in the air when you drive by in the morning.

I miss the old donuts, the taste and quality was so much better.

I don't see how in this case doing the mass production saves anything. They still have to employ people to finish the baking and the glazing and put the fondant on items. They still have to ship items from the bakery to the store, they still have to have all of the machinery to bake it in the store as well as have a separate building that now houses the main bakery. They probably save labour costs because I know 15 yes ago the bakers I knew were making $200 a night salary.
    Natalka, DaveP, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yes, I knew - it was publicized when the change was made, and was apparent.

Funny how the suit was about profit, not taste, lol!
    Insane, DaveP, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I thought it was admitted back in 2003 or thereabouts by one of the owners? Soon after the change, I noticed the donuts tasting more "doughy" than "bready". I also noticed a difference in their cherry cheese danishes (still sold?) as well and haven't eaten anything but their bagels for most of the last decade.

I shudder at how many donuts I must have packed away to have noticed a difference in taste.... Though I do miss the donuts, I hope I'm a little healthier for it.
    Natalka, DaveP, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i had heard about this long ago.

anyhoo, donuts are evil. well, that's what i keep trying to tell myself
    Mia001, DaveP, ZumbaQueen and 1 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This is old news. They haven't made them for a long time.

You know all the bread they sell at Superstores that says, "baked in store" on it. It's the same. It's par baked and brought to the store and baked for 7 minutes and sold to you. It still tastes good to me.
    DaveP, Shwa Girl and ticul like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Sorry to hear this about Timmy's
    electric_viking and DaveP like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Yes, I knew - it was publicized when the change was made, and was apparent.

Funny how the suit was about profit, not taste, lol!
    Just looking at the size of the Timmy's round here... there was no space for a proper bakery.

The power of the Almighty Dollar wins again.
    ticul and saddlebag like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolthepickle View Post
    You know all the bread they sell at Superstores that says, "baked in store" on it. It's the same. It's par baked and brought to the store and baked for 7 minutes and sold to you. It still tastes good to me.
    RCSS too. Guess those who bake their own bread with real ingredients, are doing a good thing for themselves and their family. Anybody see a good deal on a bread maker? Thx.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The ovens pump steam into the baked goods to plump them up. Always fresh eh?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I worked for Timmy's and everything is flash frozen even there bacon and all baked good. They take the items out of a box in a freeze and put in in there special oven to heat it up. Only thing not frozen was the coffee, tomatoes and few other things. Even there soup is frozen and cooked ti a certain temp in a plastic.
    I don't eat there anymore. But Wm does the same and everything is frozen.
    DaveP, ticul and saddlebag like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yep, I knew.
    I eat there maybe a couple of times a year, but it doesn't really bother me one way or another. They taste fine to me. I'm just happy I live in a no-smoking city so they don't all taste like smoke anymore!
    princessjen and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

yup i knew this.. even the soups come frozen.. or powdered (i remember hearing that the chili was actually a mix) pretty much nothing is made fresh.. the "fresh" baked buns and bagels at walmart grocery.... nope they come frozen.. all the cakes, pies... frozen.. safeway still bakes fresh in store i'm pretty sure..same with save on foods.. atleast for some things..
    Shwa Girl and ticul like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

still tastes great anyway! Yahoo!!!
    princessjen, Natalka and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    yup i knew this.. even the soups come frozen.. or powdered (i remember hearing that the chili was actually a mix) pretty much nothing is made fresh.. the "fresh" baked buns and bagels at walmart grocery.... nope they come frozen.. all the cakes, pies... frozen.. safeway still bakes fresh in store i'm pretty sure..same with save on foods.. atleast for some things..
    O.k. now I am depressed. I now envy those who make their own baked good, make chili from scratch and make home made soup. I am going to have to get out the crock pot and make my own chili, again. No excuses.

My Mum would laugh at me now and say, "See, I told you so. Wonder why you are healthy now ? Because when you were a kid, I cooked from scratch for you."
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Wed, Jan 23rd, 2013 at 06:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information