User Tag List

Page 26 of 81 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

That's good. I remember when I had insurance there were certain things they wouldn't allow but as time went on and they saw that it was a reoccurring thing they then approve it.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    I do! This is the one I use:

3 tbsp of borax
    3 tbsp of washing soda
    2 tbsp of Blue Dawn
    6 boiling cups of water
    put into a container & shake until all is dissolved. I use a 4+L old purex container and double up the recipe. I add ~2 cupfuls to my dispenser.

Some versions of this call for 4c of water, but I find that I get crystals on the bottom of the jug if I use less. I use this in my HE washer and I am generally quite happy. It isn't great on bad grease spots, so I just apply a diluted dawn spray on them. Is it as good as store bought? Honestly, it isn't tide. But it is SOOOO cheap to make. It cost me $13.00 for everything and I still have half of the borax, and washing soda left over. The dawn- well I use that for other things, so I always have that in the house. It is as good as gain, purex etc.

What recipe do you use for your dishwasher? I have played around with making some recipes- but have some problem with white film that I can't get rid of with citric acid.
    I use this one...
    http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog...et-ingredient/

(you actually might enjoy her blog and facebook too). I shake the jar EACH time, as I find things settle a bit and if I don't then when I get down to the end, it doesn't work as well. I've been trying to turn it into tabs but so far, no luck. We use it so often and shake it that it never clumps. I have no problems with a white film. It works wonders-except for really baked on things-but really even electrasol doesn't get those off.

I've been thinking of using her laundry detergent recipe.

I can't find citric acid locally. I bought it last time I was in Ottawa. If I have to buy it online, it's going to increase the cost, but I think I'd still make it.

On a different note....What do you use as a cornstarch? I've heard fleischman's uses GMO corn, but the organic stuff was $10.75 for 250g! EEK!
    matty's mom and jasperandchar like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    So here is a question for those of us with a mortgage!!!

With talk of the mortgage rates going to down 2.99% are you considering renewing your mortgage early for the cheaper rate, biting the bullet and sucking up the 3 month interest penalty?
    No, not for us. We renew next year, and quite frankly, I LOVE my mortgage. Is that strange to say? I can make an additional payment of any amount at any time. I can pay a lump payment of 20% of my initial mortgage amount every year (not that I have pulled this off yet). It is really flexible and I hope that I can renew with something like it next year. Yes interest is huge on a mortgage. But how one manages their mortgage has a great impact as well. I love what I can do with this one.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks and enjoy your birthday celebration with the family

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't make buns out of it.
    As far as pizza dough is concerned, I have another easy recipe for that which I will dig out for you over the weekend.
    DH just got home and we are doing a birthday supper for DS tonight.
    Time to get off the computer, lol
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

just curious if someone in your home has an egg allergy or it's just a means to not use eggs which would be really good on the wallet and the savings could really add up "being us frugal folks"

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    So with all the baking talk on this thread...I finally found some eggless cake/cupcakes recipes. That I will try out next week for March break and see how they turns out.
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Fri, Mar 8th, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I use this one...
    http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog...et-ingredient/

(you actually might enjoy her blog and facebook too). I shake the jar EACH time, as I find things settle a bit and if I don't then when I get down to the end, it doesn't work as well. I've been trying to turn it into tabs but so far, no luck. We use it so often and shake it that it never clumps. I have no problems with a white film. It works wonders-except for really baked on things-but really even electrasol doesn't get those off.

I've been thinking of using her laundry detergent recipe.

I can't find citric acid locally. I bought it last time I was in Ottawa. If I have to buy it online, it's going to increase the cost, but I think I'd still make it.

On a different note....What do you use as a cornstarch? I've heard fleischman's uses GMO corn, but the organic stuff was $10.75 for 250g! EEK!

Cornstarch is an issue for me here as well. There isn't a lot around me. And I have had some surprises, for example, I had to ask the natural store to order in the washing soda. They had no idea what it was used for!. When I was living in TO I would buy corn startch @ Whole Foods. Can't remember the name. Joys of being in a big town. GMO is really starting to bug me! I have a friend who tests water and she had a clean up project involving a GMO crop and a river system.... it was scary stuff.

Thanks for the lead on the website. It is great!!! And I love that the dishwasher recipe is without borax.
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, Mar 8th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Your mortgage terms sound very similar to mine, I make a a prepayment every week, small amounts but it makes a huge difference, ours is not up until Oct. 2015 so I'm thinking it may still be worth biting the bullet, I would still stay with whom I am with as I am sure they would offer the same rate as other institutions because they want my business.

HERE's a tip: When you give a bank your mortgage ask them to give you WAIVE YOUR PRIMARY BANK ACCOUNT FEES for the duration of your term. So if you renew for 5 years your checkings account which is your primary account, you would not have a monthly service charge fee. My bank charge $11.95 x 12 = $143.40 a year x 5 year mortgage term = $717.00 saved on bank fees for your mortgage renewal term.

The banks cannot really refuse your asking this as they can reduce your bank fees in certain circumstances (they make so much interest off you that they won't sweat over $717.00 really

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    No, not for us. We renew next year, and quite frankly, I LOVE my mortgage. Is that strange to say? I can make an additional payment of any amount at any time. I can pay a lump payment of 20% of my initial mortgage amount every year (not that I have pulled this off yet). It is really flexible and I hope that I can renew with something like it next year. Yes interest is huge on a mortgage. But how one manages their mortgage has a great impact as well. I love what I can do with this one.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hi just wanted to say i read all the post and great work everyone,l have been doing most of this stuff for sometime now,we have had a big set back this week dh was at doctor on monday and he signed him off work (has to have surgery on his left arm)found problems with both of his shoulders,and right hand he is a truck diver and we have a small farm, so long story short have to cut back as much as we can till he can get sick leave from employment we have our own beef we raise and eggs so that helps for the grocery part,we are 45 minutes from the major shopping store so its shop once a month here for us cant afford to shop at our local food store,i try to make as much as i can for meals,baking and cleaning supplies,hang all laundry,use hydro on cheap time,cut our own hair (we haven't been to hairdresser in 6 years)barter when we can,make freezer jam,reuse what we can,dh fixes everything he can,don't eat out,i can later post different recipes that are easy and good if anyone would be interested,here is my cleaning recipe that i use for everything to toilets,counter tops,etc 3/4 cup dawn dish soap the blue one,3/4 cup vinegar in a spray bottle filled with water i find this stuff works for everything lol

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Anyone know what my chances would be of getting my credit card annual fee waived???????

I originally had a no fee credit card and they discontinued my credit card type, I was originally told as long as I made no changes to my card I would be grandfathered in and allowed to keep this type of card. I was told changes would be asking for a second card, changing my credit limit I VERY clearly asked what happens when it expires and was told they would send me a new one might look different but terms would be the same. Turns out they lied to me, I got a new one and it was different but I thought nothing of it. Until all of a sudden I saw an annual fee on my card, I called and complain and was told someone misunderstood me. At the time I rarely used my card and really didn't have a leg to stand on, but now that I am usually it regularly I would like to get this waived, especially since I was just able to get a MC and they waived my annual fee. I really do not want to cancel my Visa as I like the idea of having both but really do not like the paying an annual fee and will only use a card with cash back other wise I might as well pay with my debit card.,
    Crochetlady and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have been thinking about trying that mixture for some cleaning, just waiting for my free Scrubbing Bubbles and Lysol Spray we inherited from Nanny to run out (No idea why but we found like 4 unopened and 2 opened bottles in her house, not to mention 3 tubs of lysol wipes).

Quote Originally Posted by tammy8701 View Post
    hi just wanted to say i read all the post and great work everyone,l have been doing most of this stuff for sometime now,we have had a big set back this week dh was at doctor on monday and he signed him off work (has to have surgery on his left arm)found problems with both of his shoulders,and right hand he is a truck diver and we have a small farm, so long story short have to cut back as much as we can till he can get sick leave from employment we have our own beef we raise and eggs so that helps for the grocery part,we are 45 minutes from the major shopping store so its shop once a month here for us cant afford to shop at our local food store,i try to make as much as i can for meals,baking and cleaning supplies,hang all laundry,use hydro on cheap time,cut our own hair (we haven't been to hairdresser in 6 years)barter when we can,make freezer jam,reuse what we can,dh fixes everything he can,don't eat out,i can later post different recipes that are easy and good if anyone would be interested,here is my cleaning recipe that i use for everything to toilets,counter tops,etc 3/4 cup dawn dish soap the blue one,3/4 cup vinegar in a spray bottle filled with water i find this stuff works for everything lol
    tammy8701 and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Hi there and welcome. Sounds like you have quite a bit of knowledge, recipes & suggestions that you can share with us along our journeys in Marching on with Savings.

So sorry to hear about your husband and the circumstances of his injuries.

Would your husband not be entitled to WSIB (workers Safety Insurance Board) as it sounds like it is work related. No harm in filing out the forms if this is the case and they will back pay you to when the accident happened and until he's as good as new or in some cases like my husbands will even retrain you in a new profession or career. My husband was a plumber who got injured at work and he is now a CYW (child youth worker).

Glad that you are joining in the chatter, hope things get easier along the way!

ON ANOTHER NOTE: if you have accidental insurance coverage for your mortgage (mortgage insurance) they should cover your mortgage payments until he is recovered, check your policy or call your bank or whomever you have a policy with. Ask for a copy of your policy and coverage BUT do not tell them why.

Quote Originally Posted by tammy8701 View Post
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Fri, Mar 8th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

If you are not loyal to that particular bank or store (TD or WM per say) then I would shop around. But if it's your bank then I would bring it up with your personal bank adviser (someone that is assigned to your financial needs - everyone has someone that is there go to person, HOWEVER, not everyone knows this). I have a WM MC which I love and gives me 1.25% cash back on WM purchases. But if it's something like American Express than I really do not have any advice as I have never dealt with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Anyone know what my chances would be of getting my credit card annual fee waived???????

I originally had a no fee credit card and they discontinued my credit card type, I was originally told as long as I made no changes to my card I would be grandfathered in and allowed to keep this type of card. I was told changes would be asking for a second card, changing my credit limit I VERY clearly asked what happens when it expires and was told they would send me a new one might look different but terms would be the same. Turns out they lied to me, I got a new one and it was different but I thought nothing of it. Until all of a sudden I saw an annual fee on my card, I called and complain and was told someone misunderstood me. At the time I rarely used my card and really didn't have a leg to stand on, but now that I am usually it regularly I would like to get this waived, especially since I was just able to get a MC and they waived my annual fee. I really do not want to cancel my Visa as I like the idea of having both but really do not like the paying an annual fee and will only use a card with cash back other wise I might as well pay with my debit card.,
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Fri, Mar 8th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Thanks for the advice, it is a Visa through my bank. I try to avoid talking to them as much as possible as they pissed me off a couple years ago but I have a joint account with my mom and she will not consider changing banks so I stay there so we can easily transfer money. As long as I do not go into the branch I am a happy girl.

I just opened a new account with another bank and before I knew it they were offering me some great banking products which I accepted which is what made me see there are cash back credit cards out there at are No Fee, I was told this did not exist.

I currently get 2% back on all grocery and pharmacy purchases which I LOVE, so I put all my groceries on my card to earn cash back and than pay it off every 2 weeks when I get paid.

If you are not loyal to that particular bank or store (TD or WM per say) then I would shop around. But if it's your bank then I would bring it up with your personal bank adviser (someone that is assigned to your financial needs - everyone has someone that is there go to person, HOWEVER, not everyone knows this). I have a WM MC which I love and gives me 1.25% cash back on WM purchases. But if it's something like American Express than I really do not have any advice as I have never dealt with them.
    Crochetlady and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Your new bank told you there were no such thing as cash backs for free or is it your old bank where you are with your mom. I would call whichever it is, no need to go in and ask to talk to the person in charge of your account(s) or simply ask to speak to the manager of customer service for your current branch and I would explain again the situation, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and if you get nowhere with them then I would ask to speak with the Bank Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Thanks for the advice, it is a Visa through my bank. I try to avoid talking to them as much as possible as they pissed me off a couple years ago but I have a joint account with my mom and she will not consider changing banks so I stay there so we can easily transfer money. As long as I do not go into the branch I am a happy girl.

I just opened a new account with another bank and before I knew it they were offering me some great banking products which I accepted which is what made me see there are cash back credit cards out there at are No Fee, I was told this did not exist.

I currently get 2% back on all grocery and pharmacy purchases which I LOVE, so I put all my groceries on my card to earn cash back and than pay it off every 2 weeks when I get paid.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

It was my old bank, originally my Visa was a No Fee cash back and was told they no longer existed this was a couple years ago and when i checked other banks they all showed fees for cash back. My new bank not only has a cash back with no annual fee, if you have 3 products with them they waive fees on all products. My old bank I have more than 3 products with them, I have multiple account and my credit card.

Your new bank told you there were no such thing as cash backs for free or is it your old bank where you are with your mom. I would call whichever it is, no need to go in and ask to talk to the person in charge of your account(s) or simply ask to speak to the manager of customer service for your current branch and I would explain again the situation, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and if you get nowhere with them then I would ask to speak with the Bank Manager.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Page 26 of 81 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread Information