Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GoJays
  • 2 Post By barginbin-barbie
  • 1 Post By itsmewhoelse

Thread: starting seeds indoors

windowwendy
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

just wondering from all of you with green thumbs if i really need lights to start tomato seeds inside. any ideas would be apreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

They need to be in a window where they can get direct sun if you don't use grow lights.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

you don't need light to start any seeds.. you need light (daylight, growlight, whatever) once the seeds have germinated and you have little plants
    thriftygranny likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I started my seedlings the last week of February by the window sill
    Lots of tomatoes and peppers!
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My Dh started his this past week and we are using lights because it's pretty dark where we're keeping them. They need natural light or artificial, but they do need some light.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I am using the top of a shelve , and 2 desk lamps. one at either end. works fine so far.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Banned
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

ohh thank you for posting this! thinking of starting our pepper seeds indoors this Read they take awhile to mature so it is better to. Hope growing will work better this year then last, was my first year and didn't work out the best,lol. I only got some tomatoes to grow out of like 6 things and they turned out rotten to,lol.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I started the makings of my year privacy vines.
    We have Crimson Climbers and Moon Flowers
    I also had saved some of the seed pods from a Angels Trumpet from last year and amazing they are growing as well.
    I think plant seeds gives a little bit of hope like seeing a ground hog's shadow
    PammieD and thriftygranny like this.
    ARE YOU PART OF A PROBLEM OR PART OF THE SOLUTION BE A INFORMED SHOPPER

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

How are everyone's seedlings doing? What have you planted? I have 7 kinds of tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant (zone 2a, I must be nuts...), and 3 kinds of peppers on the go. I can't wait for this snow to melt so we can transplant them outside!
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

Question for you green thumbs....is it best to have raised garden beds, or just as well to plant my plants into the good ol' ground? I'm starting new this spring with all the info I can gather in hopes that my veggies will come from my own backyard!
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lucy16076 View Post
    Question for you green thumbs....is it best to have raised garden beds, or just as well to plant my plants into the good ol' ground? I'm starting new this spring with all the info I can gather in hopes that my veggies will come from my own backyard!
    I have both, and the thing with the raised beds is that the ground stays softer. Actually this year I want to get rid of the last normal bed and only have raised beds. They are just much easier to deal with. As for growing, most plants grow the same, but the root veggies get bigger in the raised beds (due to the less compact soil).

So far I have started just tomatoes indoors this year. I take them out during the day as I find they can get a bit leggy without the stronger sunlight.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

you will likely have to water the raise beds a lots more...

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have a spare room upstairs that gets lots of sun. So I started lots of my seeds indoors this year.
    I managed to save seeds from some of my plants last year, petunias, trailing plants, datura, geraniums, dianthis and few others. I also went out and bought a few packets of seeds and have started some of those.
    I started, Peppers 3 kinds, tomatos 3 kinds, cukes 2 kinds, onions 2 kinds, giant pumpkin x 4!, beans, peas. Thinking about lettuce as I have seeds but I hate dealing with all the pests (worms) that they get, and tons of herbs. Plants from seed, Zinnia's, petunias, more daturas, coleus, dianthis, marigolds, flowering cabbage, delphiniums, lupine, passion flower!, foxglove, and portulaca.
    I used saved the plants containers that my plants came in last year and used those to put my mud and seeds in.
    I was looking around for something to cover them with so they can geriminate. I started with just the large clear garbage bags. Then I remembered that I had some of the plastic bags that comforters and duvets come in, the ones with the zippers. PERFECT little greenhouses! I'm hoping to post some pictures when I can in the Whats blooming in your yard thread. Can't wait for them to start popping up! Happy gardening all.
    nessa23 likes this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Thread Information