• 2 Post By Natalka
  • 2 Post By anisa
  • 2 Post By MrsSunshine
  • 2 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 1 Post By walkonby

Thread: Question about Fevers/Flus/Colds and medicine

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

How often do you take medicine for a fever, cold or the flu? I don't really other than some tylenol. I can't remember the last time I took cold medicine. I had a doctor give me anti-biotics because of strep throat a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it was a waste since it could have just been a viral infection and not bacterial...

I ask because since I've been in Korea, every time I have a slight cold it's "MEDICINE", even from some of my expat friends (one of them from Ontario). Maybe I just grew up in a different type of household, and for the most part no medicine unless I hadn't gotten over something within a few days. Which I normally do.

Reminds me of this guy I dated who would tell me often to go to see a doctor about pain in my foot from when I broke it. What is a doctor supposed to do? Tell me I shouldn't have broken my foot?

Maybe I just don't see the need to run to the doctor for every sniffle...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I reccommend taking Cordyceps fro New Chapter. I've taken it for 3 years and haven't got sick. . period
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If it is not serious cold, i would not take any medicine. I just drink much boiled water.
    Everybody love computer, hookbag computer parts

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

For a cold, nothing - except maybe some chicken soup and a cool mist humidifier! Only thing is if I have a persistent cough, then I'll take some cough medicine, because I'm prone to have it going on to bronchitis, and it's led to pneumonia a few times.

For a fever, which is really rare for me, then Tylenol.

In case of a sore throat - again, I'm prone to strep, so always get tested, and only get put on antibiotics if the test comes back positive.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Vitamin C, drink LOTS of fluids, take naps.

gargle with warm salted water. it leaves a nasty salty taste in your mouth, but do it a few times a day and you will feel better.

if you have a juicer avaialble, or someone who can make you fresh juice, get them to include the juice of a 1" piece of ginger into a tall glass of regular juice. i used to do it with apple/carrot juice. it is spicy, but you chug it down, and the spiciness goes away fast. the ginger will help knockout a cold. i do it once a day
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

I'm horrible when I have a cold/the flu... I have a love affair with nyquil LOL.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

spit my tea out at your broken foot comment! LOL
    fever/pain (fever VERY rare) Advil

cold. rest/lots of fluids, echinecea, vitamin c, buckley's. BAM! gone

flu.. knocking on wood here.. thats all im saying

normally for me. i don't take anything unless its bad. i find its more potent that way.. as a kid a teaspoon of cough medicine would knock me out for HOURS.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In flu, I used to take proper sleep, drink warm water, hot chocolate or coffee. Honey with ginger is also a very effective home remedy for the flu. Take lots and lots of fluid. As everyone said vitamin c containing products are very effective in flu and removers the weakness during the illness.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

There isn't really much I do for colds or flu but for fever I will take Tylenol. I never take antibiotics because I am allergic but even if I could most things go away on their own.

When I was in for my Cesareans one nurse even had the nerve to say I would get an infection because I refused antibiotics which are standard when you have a catheter. I told her you hang that bag of antibiotics and I will rip it out of my arm. Even the resident came to my room and insisted I get them. Told him to get out and go check with my Obgyn. He never came back. Needles to say I never got an infection in my incision or anywhere else lol.

If you are a healthy person with a strong immune system you are your own best medicine.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Never used to take anything ever, back say in my 20's-mid 40's really hated to take stuff for anything. Rode out whatever I did catch. Also never ate any vitamins either. Figured that was what food was for.
    Now I've softened a bit ( yeah my body form too ) but I play it by ear. If it is the first day and I feel that tickle in my throat just starting, I cannot stand catching the sore throat that hangs around forever thing, so I brew some Organic brand Throat Coat Tea and sip away for 2 days, helps me.
    If a cold has snuck up on me and it is already really there with sinus congestion I do take 2 no name cold tablets if I am off to work, and repeat once I get home, that takes the edge off my symptoms till the cold runs it's course. The flu? Not sure I've really had the actual flu that has you collapsed in bed for days on end thank goodness, but here and there I've had body aches type of illness, with fever, so Tylenol is what I took.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I'm not one for taking cold and flu meds. If I take something like a Nyquil (???) I cannot sleep. It just makes me feel funny and like I'm hung-over or something and I'm up most of the night. I stay away from all that type of stuff unless my Dr says I have to. I prefer hot teas, warm baths, gargling with salt water, organic oils and the likes. I think that the more meds you take, the more your body gets used to them, then....when you get something really bad, the meds won't work properly. I only take what I absolutely need to, and just last week had another argument with 2 of my Dr's because I wanted to cut back on some of the stuff I HAVE TO take. I hate any type of med anymore, blah, blah, blah.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I only take meds if it's something serious like the flu. I can't take anything like nyquil and stuff because of other medical conditions but when I did use it previous to that found it worked great if you were hit with a nasty head cold. I still didn't make it my first "go to". I prefer to let things take their natural course, build up an immunity and hope for the best. I always up my C and D intake when I get sick (even just a cold) and I swear by "Magic Soup". Simply make some chicken noodle soup and add a full bulb of finely chopped garlic (or more if you dare!) it will cure what ails you

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I take home treatment for flu. Vitamin C, Lots of fluids , ginger and honey and proper sleep. These make me feel better and help me to recover soon. To get the best information regarding flu and flu shots I follow the website flu.ca . It has valuable information of this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jameshennry View Post
    I take home treatment for flu. Vitamin C, Lots of fluids , ginger and honey and proper sleep. These make me feel better and help me to recover soon. To get the best information regarding flu and flu shots I follow the website flu.ca . It has valuable information of this.
    Yes really nice informative site for flu information. Also natural remedies and a comprehensive guide for flu,flu shot related information.

Thread Information