User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Foods that are both healthy and delicious

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Surely some of you have some favorite foods that are not only yummy, but good for you too? I'm no health nut, but there are healthy foods that I love.

My faves:

Cooked mushrooms, onions and peppers. I do mine in the oven on parchment paper with a light spritz of olive oil and a bit of sea salt. MUCH easier than doing them in a pan and having to stir them around, I add them to everything from breakfast to lunch to supper. This week we've been having them at lunch on roast beef sandwiches with hummus on pita. I add them to my breakfast eggs all the time, usually have some cooked in my fridge to add to whatever.

Whole mushrooms are good in the oven too. Try with a bit of balsamic vinegar! I buy big packs of fresh mushrooms at Costco every week, have no problem eating them all.

Sweet potatoes - baked with skins on in the oven or the microwave, doesn't much matter. They're a little sweet and the texture is creamy, very satisfying.

What healthy foods do YOU eat, not because it's healthy but because it's tasty?
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco
    Last edited by Zonny; Wed, Apr 3rd, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
    Jina, Natalka, Angela273 and 5 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

cannot agree with you more Zonny!

Mushrooms cooked up are the greatest smelling thing, I do my onions first in my very large no stick pan and just before they caramelize, I push them to one side of the pan and add the shrooms! I also have no trouble buying 3 containers at NF, or FB ( when they are 88 cents only) and using them up. I used to use no salt chix broth to saute, now I use a small bit of organic coconut oil instead.

I do sweet potatoes often, and lately acorn squash has been my thing, both baked totally naked on tin foil on a pan at 400 degree oven.
    Snow peas are my candy!! I take the whole small bag as I watch tv, and pull the string down each side like I am unzipping them, lol They are so sweet I can hardly believe they are a good FREE veggie, and not even a starchy veg like regular peas are.
    Those small cucumbers that come about 6 or 7 in a pack, not the cheapest produce, but I do not peel them just wash and eat the way they are, also nice and crisp and sweet.
    Jina, Natalka, Angela273 and 4 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

nice thread. Well according to me natural food like vegetables and fruits are best for health and also good in taste. I always prefer these food to maintain my health and fitness.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I just love fresh strawberries, mandarin oranges, and a green salad made with romaine and topped with my homemade oil and vinegar dressing.
    Angela273 and angelapride like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I love hummus. There's also a bean dip recipe from one of the Looneyspoons cookbooks that's really tasty and high in fiber. When I was following Weight Watchers back in the day, it was 1 point for 1/4 cup of dip.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I like a bowl of hot lentil soup when it's cold. I cook it in a pressure cooker with celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes and herbs.
    Quinoa salad during the summer.
    We have fruits all the time, even exotic ones like papaya, dragon fruit, lychee, star fruit, guava.
    I recently started eating kale chips and love it.
    anisa and Angela273 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Great suggestions.

Our 11 month old son's favorite food is avocado. His very favorite is when I puree avocado with cooked pears. I actually think it tastes really good.

I love all the fresh veggies out of my garden. I really love strawberries, but dh is allergic. I typically eat them in my home made fruit smoothies.

I agree that baked sweet potato is sweet and creamy when it is fresh.
    anisa, Jina and Momof3girlies like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think fruits are favorite to all of us and that is why they are healthy and delicious. I am going to mention some of the fruits which lie in this category i.e. oranges, berries, walnuts, almonds, wheat germ and so on.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

anything that is in a whole-ish and less processed form is so healthy for us. i see sometimes people are afraid of grains and fruits, but if you eat them in a close to natural form, they are awesome! fruit juices and most cold cereals, now those are junk foods.

i love my steel cut oats with a bit of milk and brown sugar. i love how chewy it is. i know that would turn off some people tho

on the topic of mushrooms, i love doing them up with a little bit of fresh garlic, butter and italian herbs. so yummy!

i also like doing them with zucchini and a little bit of chopped onion. i throw them all in the pan together and let them cook til golden. so good! even for breakfast with a side of eggs.
    Last edited by anisa; Mon, Sep 9th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Momof3girlies likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

carrots are healthy too right?

cause i am just about to walk over and grab a carrot cupcake with cream cheese icing piled high and sprinkled with walnuts.

i'm getting my veggies and dairy right there! and walnuts are brain food.

i had my walk this morning, and i'm hungry. it's all about balance right?
    Momof3girlies, Angela273 and Zonny like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have some spaghetti squashes and butternut squashes growing in the garden right now. I don't know if I have ever eaten butternut squash, but I guess I'll be cooking some up this fall. I know people say to roast it and others love to turn it into soup.
    Momof3girlies likes this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I am addicted to edamame beans I just can't get enough of them I love to make a "humus" with them.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love nut butters. You can make your own or buy the ones pre-made in the grocery store. They have good fats and many health benefits and taste delicious! Eat them with fruits or even put them in your smoothies.

Cheers.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good ideas. I can't do mushrooms though...not sure why, but i can't stand them.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

good discussion, well in my healthy diet I prefer sprout bean on my salad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information