User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Spring thaw = landmines a plenty

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First off I am a huge dog lover, however I also have a huge dog rant... dog owners who don't pick up their pet's business. The weather is so nice here today, but don't dare take the kids far off the beaten path as the landmines are a plenty. Ick. Dogs off leash also make me batty. Dogs off leash pooping with an owner who doesn't care really ticks me off. In the last few years it really seems to be getting worse. Do most dog owners feel that entitled now a days that they don't have to keep their pet from jumping up, running up or picking up after it. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this growing trend? Why is it that dog poop doesn't seem offensive to these owners... if people were doing their business all over town surely it would seem odd? Am I wrong? There, got that out... smoothing the ruffles in my dress down and gaining composure. Sort of.
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

what grosses me out is people who let their dogs poop all over their backyard and dont scoop it.
    then they have people come over to visit and before you know it, your stepping in dog poop.
    so annoying!
    xox2010 and nessa23 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponingtosurvive View Post
    dog owners who don't pick up their pet's business.
    Dogs off leash also make me batty. Dogs off leash pooping with an owner who doesn't care really ticks me off.
    Do most dog owners feel that entitled now a days that they don't have to keep their pet from jumping up, running up or picking up after it. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this growing trend?
    Yes, I believe it's a growing trend. I think people see dogs as 'just a pet' rather than a large responsibility. Pretty sad that people cannot even do the simplest things, when they KNOW (or SHOULD know) as a dog owner, they are going to have to pick up some poop!!!

If you can't take the dog for walks everyday, or almost everyday, pick up their poop, feed them, give them shelter, give them love.... then WHY do you have a dog?!

I would LOVE to have a dog, but I don't. I don't because I know DH and I are not home enough to take care of it the way we would want, therefore we choose to not have one (at this present moment in time)

Our roommate asked if we could take in a dog from a friend of his. I said no (same reason as above... if we aren't getting a dog, neither is our lazy roommate..) When I asked why the friend was getting rid of the dog, the response was 'he's moving into an apartment that doesn't allow dogs.'
    Maybe it's just me... but why would a dog owner, who really loves their dog, even consider a place that doesn't allow their furry friend?

Quote Originally Posted by c_mcarthur View Post
    what grosses me out is people who let their dogs poop all over their backyard and dont scoop it.
    then they have people come over to visit and before you know it, your stepping in dog poop.
    so annoying!
    annoying?! AND TOTALLY disgusting!!! Would we use the toilet multiple multiple times and NOT flush?! ...umm no. Your dog poos. If you don't want to pick up poop, then don't get a dog!!

MHO.
    Last edited by nessa23; Thu, Apr 4th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
    xox2010 likes this.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, I agree!
    Our snow isn't melted, so we aren't encountering this yet - but we will, since there are TONS of dogs down our crescent, and it's always a busy place for a walk, since they have to pass our house to go to the convenience store down the block, or go down to the schoolyard park.

nessa23 likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We have signs posted in the back park ( the walking park where all the side streets have paths leading into it. The signs say, pick it up and take it with you, there are no poop trash bins there at all. It is patrolled and enforced by all seeing neighbours! lol
    Natalka, xox2010 and ticul like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ahem! That problem of somebody's dog doo is now solve for now! I stand near the window of my front yard and make a few noises or rap against the window!
    ticul likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

It is so getting worse, I live in a townhouse and we have a court yard and we seem to have three types of dog owners (1) the few that do clean up after their dogs (2) the ones that let there dogs out in the courtyard don't watch them and seem to think if they don't see it, it doesn't happen (3) the ones who believe small dogs do not poop. It is horrible and now more and more people seem to be letting there cats roam free too.

I am sorry but nothing worse than be a non pet owner dealing with these issues not to mention the fact the simplest tasks become harder as you try to avoid the "landmines". Someone here is now using the pad in front of our blue boxes as their dog's bathroom and they do not clean it up.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've noticed lately that people with the little dogs on retractable leashes tend to be big offenders for this.

I hate those leashes. And it seems like they always have a little dog attached. I love big dogs, but do not like little dogs very much, as most the ones I have come across have been someone's "baby", and it's totally okay if it nips and lunges at you
    (I certainly don't believe every little dog is like this, I just fully believe that dogs need to be trained, and restrained when out in public).

You'll definitely never catch us letting our dog go to the bathroom and just leaving it. One time my dad forgot the bags, so he used his own glove!
    ticul and nessa23 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I take my dog for a walk, I ALWAYS pick up his poops. He is a Yellow Lab and those things are beyond land mines, and he eats home cooked meals too, so they are works of art for him lol.

That being said, I have a job offer for anyone in the Brantford Ontario area who does not mind picking up the dog dirt in my back yard....

Ben, I love you, but I would love you more if you learned how to crap in the toilet.
    Last edited by i_forget; Thu, Apr 4th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    itsmewhoelse, xox2010 and walkonby like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I get really annoyed when people let their dogs poop all over the sidewalk and never pick it up. We have no snow here so there's nowhere for it to hide. Every day when I'm walking my kids to school, we have to dodge piles. Numerous times, kids in the neighborhood or strollers have gone right through one. They have really nice paved walking trails all through my neighborhood but people seem to think its fine for a dogs bathroom. The township even has supplied free bags for owners to use and garbage cans along the paths but still people choose to ignore it. Another one of my favorites is people who actually do pick up after their dogs but think it's okay to throw the bags up into the trees for all to enjoy.
    nessa23 likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I am a dog owner...large dog so large poop. And i would never ever not pick up his poop. And if, for some reason, I didn't have a bag i would definately find something suitable to pick it up with. Timmies cup, wayward plastic bag etc.

I do let Tucker off leash when we're hiking on the trails or playing fetch. But i am constantly scanning for people or other dogs and if i do spot them I call him and put him back on his leash. And i absolutely do not let him run up to people or jump on anyone. That's just disrespectful. He is 100% obedience trained so he always listens to me, if he wasn't well trained i would never let him off his leash. It's too risky. But i am responsible and considerate.

landmines in our backyard aren't allowed. I stand there and pick it up right away. It gets a bit more difficult in winter because it gets dark so quick, but generally he goes in one spot and its the corner farthest away from any area used by people...lol

i take extra bags with me, and if i see someone not picking up their dogs poop i will say, "oh, i see you forgot your bag, here, take one of mine...I have lots!!!
    Carlotta and nessa23 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This problem does appear to be wide spread... too bad for all of us. Like most things, it only takes a handful of individuals to spoil things for the rest... although it still blows my mind that this is even an issue in the first place. Doggy poops, human picks it up and take it home to dispose of (wow, someone mentioned that they have seen a bag full of poop thrown up into a tree). Some of your posts cracked me up... the picture of the sign to poop and scoop was brilliant... and the poster right above this post passing along her extra bags... priceless! The landmine saga continues.
    nessa23 likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OH MY GOODNESS... just watched a documentary that talks about this very issue of land mines (and other "modern" day dog issues). I am so NOT alone! lol. The documentary was on the show Doc Zone and it was titled Dog Dazed (very interesting and worth the watch). Hope it was ok to link it... here it is: http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/dog-dazed.html Poop poop everywhere.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I have forgotten bags while walking a friends dog, and I always go home to get bags and go back to pick it up; it's common courtesy. I used to live in the country where NO ONE picked up their dog poo. I think I was the only one who bothered to!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I have a little dog (8lbs) and I have a retractable leash - doesn't mean I let my dog do whatever he wants or let him poop and not scoop - the leash has a lock, so when he poops I lock the leash and scoop. I HATE to see poop all over, and this seems common in my neighborhood - its a lovely area with lost of parks but I see owners with big dogs just let there dogs poop and walk away, I once even asked a man if he needed a poop bag bc he was walking away and he said "nope" and just walked away....rude!!! There is one person, and I have yet to find out who but they will scoop and then throw the bag by a tree ...WHAT IS THE POINT?? there is garbage cans everywhere, at least 4 that he.she could go to..why scoop it if your going to just throw it on the ground?? Last spring I counted 11 under one tree. Why do people get a dog if your not willing to clean up after it, you know it has to go outside, you know you should pick it up, you wuldn't let your dog poop in your house and not clean it up would you? Lazy ppl!
    nessa23 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information