User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Pls check if shelters accept items before donating

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    I`ve donated to a woman's shelter before and razors were not accepted.
    Interesting.....I donate to two local women's transition houses and they have always been happy to have them. Good illustration of why it's important to phone ahead. Depending on their particular clientele, they will or will not want certain items.

The other shelter I donate to is one where they have a core clientele whom they know very well (mostly men) and they are judicious about what they give to whom.
    Last edited by DianneS; Sun, May 26th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Insane, Candini and young-one19 like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i email the local food bank here with a list of items that I will be bringing and get them approved first before I carry a whole box stuff there. I don't want to have the hassle to carry them back home if they are not accepted.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

when it comes to razors if they accept them disposable razors are better than refillable blades. Because some men and women have certain diseases that can be passed from one person to another and disposable can be thrown in the garbage after one use. Disposable razors depending on the brand get dull easier so its harder for them to take apart the razor & use it for drugs. And depending on the shelter, clients at that shelter use that razors for cutting skin, cutting up drugs etc so we are so careful when it comes to razor.
    lecale and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

The food bank I volunteer for takes mouthwash and razors with no issues. No harm in calling or emailing the shelter in question to see what they take in/hand out. If a shelter won't take it see if a food bank will.

I talked to a paramedic once who has to pick up the same guy each time he drinks mouthwash. Sounds terrible!
    Last edited by SarahS83; Sun, May 26th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    oscarandme likes this.
    Win Amazon Giftcards just by searching with Swagbucks! I've made over $700!!!

Ask me for more information on how

Tangerine Orange Key is 14221156S1

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

anastasia thank you very much for posting this! I never considered a person with a drug or drinking problem abusing these everyday items. Probably because food has always been my main donation anyway. Good to know, thanks.
    oscarandme likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS83 View Post
    The food bank I volunteer for takes mouthwash and razors with no issues. No harm in calling or emailing the shelter in question to see what they take in/hand out. If a shelter won't take it see if a food bank will.

I talked to a paramedic once who has to pick up the same guy each time he drinks mouthwash. Sounds terrible!
    when I worked at a men's shelter in Ottawa this convenience store really close would sell Listerine and other mouthwashes behind the counter to the homeless cheap. These men would come to bed check smelling of mouthwash and one guy passed away while I was working and his liver couldn't take it anymore. No matter how many times we complained he would stop selling then start up again within weeks. Its the same with cans that use nitrous oxide to dispense the product people use to get high and even paint thinner & other substances for huffing.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Until we moved here, I was really blind to these sort of things. At grocery store downtown here, the mouthwash is kept locked up! I think you just need to fit your donations to the program. Here places like the emergency housing shelter would accept mouthwash, but the day shelter wouldn't.
    Candini likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Strange. Watched too many episodes of Intervention, I suppose.

People have also made drinks from hand sanitizer.
    People drink purell. I know a few health centers that have had to take down their dispensers on the wall or switch to a foam based one because of problems. I can't imagine an addiction so bad that you need to drink hand sanitizer.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

People will try just about anything. My mom used to tell me in her small town, people would steal vanilla extract, because it also has some alcohol content.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Every year I choose a charity. I contact them and ask what they would be needing and then try to fill that need.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

When I worked in a lab, we used to keep our solvents in a locked brick storage building ...we had to change the locks at least once a year due to people breaking in and stealing them.
    oscarandme likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Thank you, Anastasia!
    anastasia1009 and oscarandme like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    258 (100%)

Good point about the mouthwash and razors! We have nice ladies who save up their hotel supplies all year round and come and to the soup kitchen around Christmas time to give them out. I had to explain to them that we couldn't hand out the mouthwash (even alchol free) or hand sanitizer because it would be drank immediately. They couldn't understand why anyone would drink mouthwash or hand sanitizer. It's hard to understand until you've seen people so desperate

It's always a good idea to check and see if charity needs your items. One Christmas we had a very nice gentleman offer to donate two bottles of wine to ever Christmas outreach family so they could celebrate Christmas cheer. Sigh...I had to point out to them that many of our families may have alcohol related issues and he could very huffy with me and told me that everyone deserves Christmas cheer even it comes from a bottle. Thankfully his wife talked him into donating turkeys instead
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    People have donated weird food items before and they said they would never eat it so the homeless might like it. Mostly at Xmas time we get weird food items and it goes in the garbage.
    That's awful. Just because they're homeless doesn't mean they should be eating junk some people think it's good enough. They're human beings too
    gourmetsue, GoJays, lecale and 3 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Don't get me onto the dirty, torn buttonless clothes that were dropped off at the local trying to get people into work centre* and were rejected and the highly indigant "ladies" who claimed that "they " should be grateful for any item that these "ladies" should desire to gift them regardless of what was requested...ie suits, shirts, dresses, skirts of a quality which needed minimal effort to make presentable.

* I'm sure there's a correct term but my brain is fried now..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information