User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Disturbing Flyer Trend

foo
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Some grocery stores are no longer publishing meat prices as $ per lb./kg, making comparison shopping impossible without going to the store and calculating price by physically looking at each package.

Few of these advertised "package prices" are good deals, and some seem to be a tad expensive.

Any thoughts or possible actions?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I've noticed this trend, too and it really irritates me. It appears to me that they are trying to make it difficult to calculate the real price of the meat -- which has been sold for decades on end at price per pound. I generally will not buy meat that is priced this way -- partly because it's hard to know what kind of deal I'm getting and partly because it just ticks me off that retailers are doing this. Why is it that they don't want us to know how much we are paying per pound??? You can bet it's because it's to their advantage, not ours.

Suggestion? I think we should all start e-mailing stores who do this and express our displeasure at their new pricing method.
    Last edited by DianneS; Sun, Apr 28th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I was part of a focus group a while back and while the non disclosure means I can't give many details, so many people asked for pricing like this. They did not want to know it was 3.99/lb and get there to find the smallest pack size was 4lbs and they could not afford that cut of meat because it was really over $15, they wanted to know how much a pack would cost them

For the most part, there are weights on them in-store so you can work it out if you are there but it does not help planning
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

foo
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for an interesting perspective. Personally, I have never run into a situation where the package weight selections exceeded my budget. I find most stores make varied package sizes and weights available to meet their customer's needs - some are singles, couples, families, etc. I have to wonder if it was the way the question was asked - "They did not want to know it was 3.99/lb and get there to find the smallest pack size was 4lbs and they could not afford that cut of meat because it was really over $15." A simple remedy would be simply to publish the package weight and or price per lb/kg.I cannot think of a valid reason not to.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I've seen this in the WalMart flyer and once in a while at Safeway.

I think it's absolutely horrible - I know my meat prices by kg and that's how I figure things out.
    I want the prices in the flyers - so I can make my shopping list by comparing prices - not just when I get there to the store.

If you can't find a package size you like, at stores I go to like Sobeys, Co-op, Safeway - someone in the meat dept. will package what you like/need.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

I think it's just bizarre that they would advertise a pack of meat for $5 and not tell you how big the pack was. Do they actually think that most people don't need or want that info in their advertising? It's kind of like the flyers with BOGO deals on stuff but they won't tell you what the price is so you have to go to the store to find out. It's too manipulative.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by foo View Post
    Thank you for an interesting perspective. Personally, I have never run into a situation where the package weight selections exceeded my budget. I find most stores make varied package sizes and weights available to meet their customer's needs - some are singles, couples, families, etc. I have to wonder if it was the way the question was asked - "They did not want to know it was 3.99/lb and get there to find the smallest pack size was 4lbs and they could not afford that cut of meat because it was really over $15." A simple remedy would be simply to publish the package weight and or price per lb/kg.I cannot think of a valid reason not to.

The question wasn't asked like that, it was more what general things would you like to see (we were shown different flyer formats etc) and a few people mentioned this without prompting.
    I agree though, price it at $5 and say pack size approx 750g or whatever
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I agree though, price it at $5 and say pack size approx 750g or whatever
    That seems like a perfectly reasonable happy medium. Everyone gets what they want.
    FallenPixels and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Anytime I've seen this I have been able to find the weight of the package right on the package. Might be an opportunity to get a better or worse deal depending on which package you pick, so just grab your calculator and do the math. Saying that, I never end up buying my meat this way, I always watch for the $/kg deals in the flyers and only go for sales, so if I don't go in unless I know it's for sure a good deal.
    walkonby and Murray Brown like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

We don't buy any meat from the grocery store anymore. After doing some research I came to realize that meat on sale is never great quality, and from a big grocery store in general you can't guarantee where it came from, what the animal was fed, what unnessecary meds were they given etc. They could put what ever pricing they want on it, IMO, the best deals come from your local butcher.

I had no idea the HUGE difference in quality until we started buying meat locally. And yes they sell ALL their meat priced per lbs/kg...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I hate it. I think it's a terrible thing to pull on uninformed shoppers. The price per kg and the total are on the package and as was mentioned the butcher will cut anything down for you. If $15 is too much in total cost (don't you have a freezer?!) then get them to chop it down to $5.

They do this at Walmart and now I see it at Food Basics and I think sometimes No Frills. I've never seen it be a deal. I skip over them in the flyers and don't even pick them up in stores to check. They are obviously targeting impluse shoppers and abusing people without budgets.

Get your chicken (and maybe pork) at 4.41/kg, pork at 6.90/kg and your beef at 8.8/kg. Buy a bunch and freeze it. The cheapest meat sale just gets cost down equal to the most expensive veggie normal price.
    oscarandme likes this.

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I'm sure vegans won't appreciate people weighing potential purchases in the produce department...
    gourmetsue and i_forget like this.
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

then they should have a scale in the meat dept or put weights on things
    but when I do, I put it in one of the bags they have in the meat dept
    oscarandme likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pink View Post
    I'm sure vegans won't appreciate people weighing potential purchases in the produce department...

reminds me of the time we went to Pizza Hut and they tried to cut the meat pizzas and the cut the veggis ones with the same untensil...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i think this style is the death of the instore butcher, these packages come into the store pre-sealed, pre-packaged, pre priced! it's all done off site and one less service they offer (if your store has a butcher you can ask them to slice a large roast into two or package them into smaller packets)
    Natalka, i_forget and nessa23 like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information