User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: impacted wisdom tooth

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Wow I paid over $500 for all 3 teeth (2 diff visits). So the cost to "knock out" a patient cost 2x as much.
    Last edited by Decaf; Thu, Jun 6th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Last August I had all 4 of mine removed by a dental surgeon. 1 absessed, 1 impacted and 2 "regular" ones.

I was FREAKED OUT to get them done hence waiting til I was in my mid-ish () 30's to finally get it done but I am so glad I did. The whole procedure from when DH was asked to leave the room when the needle went in til they told him they were just waking me up it was only 15-20 min.

I won't lie and say the recovery was easy or fun but in reality it wasn't that bad even though I was swoolen and looked like a female Jay Leno! The worst parts was both the soft food afterwards (I had to do 3 weeks and I can't stand pureed food all the time) and because the impacted one was close to my mandibular nerve(which supplies feelingto the jaw) I would have a spasm from my ear to my chin when I would lay down. That eventually went away within a few days and while I still have some loss of feeling in the gum area it's nothing compared to the issues I had with the teeth.

Seriously though you have to get it done. The possible health issues that can arise from dental issues is NOT worth it. That and the fact that if you leave them the chances are you will have to have them removed later and possibly due to a more serious problem and or via emergency.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Wow I paid over $500 for all 3 teeth (2 diff visits). So the cost to "knock out" a patient cost 2x as much.
    My 4 cost $1999 but I only paid a couple of hundred after insurance.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yes definitely. Use saltwater as mouthwash. They may also give you a syringe with no needle. You fill it up with water, and then essentially spray your wounds with salt water like a water gun, until they heal.

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Besides the pain killer's ..regular icing of your face from outside will keep the swelling down..post surgery.

Also rinse your mouth with warm salt water after the surgery and do some mouth exercises the next day. This will keep your mouth from locking up.

The warm salt water rinsing did wonders for me

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

wow after reading all this I am so glad I don't have wisdom teeth - well I have one stuck inside my jaw near my ear.
    Good Luck!!

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post

My uncle had 5 too and apparantly his were all impacted as well. Kudos to you, I'd be even more scared if I had that many then again I think they would of had to come out a LONG time sooner ... and when I had coverage
    I was covered and still had to pay about $2K!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I was told by my dentist when I was in my early 20s to remove 2 of mine(bottom) as they were growing forward vs upward.They were covered bymy gum and I may have had some minor irritations.
    I was VERY scared like you to take them out until about 10 yrs layer when I had a major toothache that wouldn't go away. My sister in law referred me to a prominent oral surgeon in Toronto & she accepted me without a referral from my dentist.I was sedated but aware of what was happening he couldn't save the teeth.They had to be crushed to come out.Holy recovery....Aot of headaches but took Percocet & Tylenol 3.. Just go get it done.I agree it's short term pain for long term gain..If I could do it, believe me you can.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    89 (100%)

Not everyone afterwards has pain. Keep this in mind. I barely use Tylenol 3. One of my sister's friends had pizza right after.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

To all the other people who had 5 wisdom teeth: so did I. All on top. I have no wisdom (teeth) on the bottom, apparently. One surgery (general anesthetic because I am a pansy) took out three on one side. The second surgery a year later (also under general anesthetic because I am a pansy) took out two on the other side. Apparently, I am a freak of nature, although the oral surgeon (same guy for both) freaked me out when he said, "Oh you can have dozens up there!" In any case, good luck (and personally, I'd fork out for the general anesthetic, but I am a pansy )
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    Not everyone afterwards has pain. Keep this in mind. I barely use Tylenol 3. One of my sister's friends had pizza right after.
    That's true. My DH had nothing! I did give him a pain med within the time frame I was told to by the surgeon(before the freezing wore off) but after that he was fine. Same thing with my FIL (we all went to the same surgeon). It all depends on your threashold for pain and how bad they are to remove. Just make sure you follow the instructions like what to eat and the cleaning of the wounds and you'll be fine

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    Depends if its a regular wisdom tooth or impacted ..below the gums , not erupted etc.

Depending on the position & location of the wisdom tooth , it can be relatively painless or very painful.

I have 2 wisdom teeth which are just like regular molar's and removing them would be just like removing any other teeth.

But the 2 bottom ones were impacted and below the gum line ( not erupted ) ..almost invisible to the naked eye..removing them was pretty painful

Smart Canuck couponclippercaitie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    171 (100%)

I just had my wisdom tooth removed with local anasthesia (I think so anyways, I was awake the entire time but could not feel a thing). I was SOOOO scared and really wanted my husband to come but he couldn't so I was all alone.

Anyways the point of my story was that it was a joke! I sat down, he froze my tooth, made a little slice in the gum, and pulled the tooth out. I was in and out of the office in 20 minutes TOPS. It barely even bled at all, and I was able to work the next day with no swelling or bruising, and no pain. I took a few advils when the freezing started to wear off, but that was it.

Don't worry you'll be fine!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have only 2 and they don't bother me one bit. Horror stories on this thread just make me more thankful for my freakishly good teeth!
    Just call me Wolfie

love.them.coupons
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i had 2 taken out at a time so i went to the dentist twice for all 4. Mine were going into other teeth and pushing them forward which was painful. The first 2 went so smoothly i felt amazing after not so much pain. But the second time was a nighmare he had to break one and put a drill into my tooth and when i finished my jaw was massive for one week. Good luck tho everyones experience is different

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information