User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: OMG Calgary is underwater

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

Pictures of the flood are unreal! Moved away from Calgary 4 years ago, but it is still home for me. Lots of friends had to evacuate the downtown area, at least they had a bit of warning to get out. The video with the 10th street bridge is mind blowing, 10-12 feet higher than normal.
    Natalka likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My nephew and his wife own a house in High River. They were forced to evacuate 2 nights ago to Calgary which then got evacuated and they went to Airdrie. . They have no idea if their house is still standing or not. It's a horrible situation. So much damage. No idea when they will be allowed to go back to see what's left. I am praying it's only water damage and it can be fixed. I'd hate to see them lose their house.

Please be safe if you are in the area.
    Natalka likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Its crazy ..what's happened over there..just surprised how fast it happened.

Most people were warned , but no one was warned about how quick its going to happen , so most people including the authorities were caught off guard by nature's fury

Wasn't expecting a major city like Calgary to be hit like this..usually its the smaller towns and places, which are affected.

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

I have been watching barelly anything but news footage on this whole thing! It brings tears to my eyes seeing the damage that mother nature has caused!!!! I have many fond memories of trips to Calgary as a child and this just hurts to watch. Other than donating money, i wish there was something we could do. i mean Calgary is so far away yet so close to us at the same time! They are our next door neighbour city!!

What is really starting to scary me is how much of this is going to start flowing to the North and South Sask. rivers and affecting us here. i know preparations are already being made and they are expecting to see the water as early as beginning of next week. For now its just a waiting game!!!!
    Natalka likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I am told that most Insurance companies don't cover this sort of damage as they consider floods, earthquakes etc as Act of God. They will cover water damage but not the ones caused by floods

Hopefully the gov. Or someoneelse comes to the aid of the people and recoups some of their losses.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I don't mean to sound unfeeling but I have never understood why people insist on building homes near rivers when this can and has happened. And when people build on the top of a river valley when flooding can occur and erode the hillside causing their home to fall into the valley. I feel bad for all the people who have lost so much but feel worse for the people who have lost their lives during this time.
    Just call me Wolfie

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The Premier and the Mayor have said those with Insurance will be taken care of. My step brother in High river says his house is gone and he is now living with his ex wife. What people do when you are desperate

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    I don't mean to sound unfeeling but I have never understood why people insist on building homes near rivers when this can and has happened. And when people build on the top of a river valley when flooding can occur and erode the hillside causing their home to fall into the valley. I feel bad for all the people who have lost so much but feel worse for the people who have lost their lives during this time.
    The homes effected were built long ago when calgary was first settled... and nobody had any way to know how high the water would go. This is the first time this has ever happened like this ever. They do not allow neighborhoods to be built on flood planes any more... but there are still so many effected that thought they were in the safe range.
    xox2010 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

my friends mom is in Canmore and my sister's friend is the 3rd casualty found. It is a horrible thing. Always warm thoughts heading their way

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Did anyone see the guy sitting in a chair out in the water with his fishing rod making a few casts, I like his sense of humor ! Gotta laugh at the situation or fall in the well of despair !
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Roberts View Post
    my friends mom is in Canmore and my sister's friend is the 3rd casualty found. It is a horrible thing. Always warm thoughts heading their way

Oh, that's just awful, so sorry...

High River just seems to have been decimated...

And now things move on to Medicine Hat - my husband's brother is there, but their family is on high ground, and will be fine; we heard from our nephew yesterday.

In SK, some northern communities have already been evacuated.

Praying for all in the affected areas...
    scbpooh and Dee09 like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yay my last evacuated friend gets to go home this afternoon! Right now 11 of 25 neighborhoods allowed people back in... that is increasing this afternoon.
    scbpooh and Dee09 like this.

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

Well the water is now starting to move down stream affecting the Medicine Hat area. Got word from my Grandmother last night who's step son (so my step-uncle) is starting to deal with some water issues in M.H. Im not sure how bad it is yet, Ive yet to hear any follow ups on the situation.

Hubby also has an aunt who lives in Redcliff (which is about 10 mins outside of Medicine Hat) which is also on the north bank of the South Sask. river!! The river goes righ tthrough their golf course and Regional park. We have yet to hear from them whats going on but Im sure we will soon!
    Dee09 likes this.

hopesdreams
    Trading Score
    235 (100%)

It's the clean up that would give me the most stress. cleaning up mud out of a basement would bring me to tears.
    We have friends that had to leave their homes. I am sure many of us are effected in some way.
    hopefully our governments will stand up and have passion with their wallets open.
    Do onto others as you wish done to you.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/hopesdreams

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

So shocking, so many people affected. Thoughts and prayers to them all.
    Natalka likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information