User Tag List

Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
Like Tree5328Likes

Thread: July Sizzling Savings- July frugal chatter

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    score on the bargain books, great that the ingrown toenail was only at the beginning stages, enjoy your nice feet, great treat by the way
    Thanks. Getting my feet done always feels good but for me it is a necessity. I`m diabetic and don`t want to get infections by doing it myself.

I did score big time on the books. Got 2 complete series and the 2nd of a series of three...had the other 2 but was missing the 2nd. Plus a bunch of other random books. They have a huge rack of books they get from a closeout type thing so they`re all 1/2 price.

Sweetsparrow-Happy anniversary

Sassyashley-Hope you feel better soon.

Dh used to grow our own potatoes but this year decided not too because of health issues. We always run out and buy more from a neighbour. We use a lot of them too. I think he was charging less than $10 for 50 pounds. It just about kills me to pay $5 or more for 10 pounds at the store.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Wow, this thread moves so quickly.
    I haven't been on here for the better part of the weekend so have missed a lot.
    Just wanted to mention one thing though. Someone here mentioned something about Insurance rates.
    Two years ago when we changed insurance agents, the lady I spoke with asked me if either of us were over 50. I was kind of surprised at the question but since DH had just turned 50 I said yes.
    Apparently we were entitled to a discount on our insurance because of that

So , just a suggestion, if you or your spouse are 50 or over, it would be worth asking if you are entitled to a discount on your insurance rates. (It was either our house or car insurance)
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Anyone want to share their strategies for july? new or old or same old/ so as you can see my enter button is not working/My strategy is freezer stock up, meat & really hoping for a frozen veggie sale preferably EB before the end of the month. They used to come on sale at FreshCo every other week for $1.99 but haven't seen them on sale for quite a few months now. Also my plan for July is to start buying each my of my boys I have 2 a new piece of clothing (pants, tshirt, socks) for back to school so that hopefully when mid-August comes I can start watching for the shoe sales for back to school. I was so impressed with the fb group that MaddensMomma shared with me by my curious side and I have not creating a fb page for local stockpile trades in my area (rural). I have a trade arranged for tomorrow so I will be meeting the person in a public place as "not all the crazy people are locked up". You ladies are doing awesome in all your frugal ways and it is a great pleasure to continue my frugal journey along with you. On a frugal note I shut down my 29gallon aquarium (didn't have the heater on) but I am anxious to see if it makes any difference on my Hydro bill. Also dh closed down his turtle & algae eater aquarium as well, his was a 90 gallon I believe and have heat lamp & another light on...so this one should make a huge difference on the old hydro meter (lol). DS#1 has decided that he wants to shut down his gold fish aquarium so I need to call the fish store and see if they will give him a few dollars for his fish - if not we can try see if I can post them for sale on the local for sale fb page. Again ladies enjoy your day and vesper if you are peaking in have a great day as well.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My strategy is pretty basic. I am not trying to stock up, I am trying to clean out. I am mostly trying to get through all the meat in the freezer, and things that have been in the cupboards too long. I bought a huge bag of frozen peas because I didn't think I had any... well I had 3/4 of a bag in the back, so that was wasted money because the freezer hides things on me, I swear! That should help make this month a bit more manageable if those food expenses aren't there. I've stopped stocking up as much as I used to just because things go to waste. There are a few items I will stock up on, but with just the two of us, it isn't truthfully worth it. We don't need kid snacky foods, etc.

I am saving into new accounts for "vacation" and "slush fund" and "clothing"... trying to keep it out of my chequeing account because it doesn't earn any interest, and I'm tempted to spend it. Separate accounts otherwise I'll start getting wishful thoughts that my vacation fund is actually much larger than it
    Last edited by alicia; Wed, Jul 3rd, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweet sparrow-as for kijiji I usually look and see what others are selling their item for(then I undercut the other buyers buy a few bucks) -like I just put a used window on yesterday -sold same day-one guy listed 60.00 and his was on their for a month-so I said 35.00 or best offer -it was a small bathroom window -with the old wood attached -person would have to remove-well a guy came an offered me 30.00-sold and I try to pinpoint an hour frame and then I go into my garage and read or have a tea-sold a dress to a 20 something girl yesterday for my daughter -I start the dresses out at 10.00-then down to 8.00 or 7.00-then final price 5.00 -which is what they usually sell for -better than giving to value village-most people are nice and chat with you very friendly-some not to great-but I have made a little over 500 since selling in april -sold a few things of my moms(who passed away in march) but last year my mom made 200.00 as I talked her into selling a few big things she didn't want to part with -sometimes I say or best offer -sometimes just post a price-then when they the ads come up to repost -I repost them -but I may not do it in to winter nov and on -it was an inconvience last year ( my kids are leary of me doing it and so is hubby ) but I always do it when hubby is home in the house(in my garage-I even take the clothing into the garage)one nice girl yesterday only had the 5.00 on her but I let her have a blouse for free -why cause she was saying how expensive it is moving out on your own -and I remember what it was like for my daughter at age 24 on your own -she thanked me a lot too-so that was my roak for the day

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Okay ladies, here are these weeks totals and our crazy deals! Cheap one as we were at IL's all weekend and didn't have a chance to spend extra money lol.

Grocery Budget - $23.17
    1 Pack Marc Angelo pork burgers ($4 sale minus $2 reduced sticker minus $1 coupon)
    Dempster's veggie bread (FPC free)
    Dempster's bagels ($1.99 minus $1.50 coupon)
    2 Packs of D'Italiano buns ($1.99 minus $0.75 coupon)
    4 Milk2Go (Reduced to $0.99 minus $0.75 coupons)
    4 Iogo yogurt (Reduce to $0.50 minus $0.75 coupons)
    4 VH Steamers for lunches ($2.98 minus $2 coupons)
    2 Stouffer's Sliders ($1.99 minus $1.50 coupons)
    2 Cartons Oasis Smoothies ($1.99 minus $0.50 coupons)
    Bicks Relish ($1.47 minus $1 coupon)
    Kraft Peanut Butter ($3 sale)
    3 Corn on the Cob ($0.50 each)
    Cucumber ($0.77)
    Garden Salad ($1.27)
    4 Bananas ($0.57/lb)
    2 Tomatoes (forgot we were given some from a friend)
    2 Green Peppers
    1 Raspberry pint
    1 Celery bunch

Junk Food Budget - $13.95

6 x Pepsi 12 pks. (On sale 2/$5 this week, minus $1wub2 coupons = $2 each!) Hubby is stocked for the month + more!

Household Budget - $3.39
    Pack of 12 No Name Paper Towels ($3 sale)

Beauty/Hygiene Budget - $0.00
    Herbal Essences Hair Spray (reduced to $1.63 minus $2 coupon)

Note: I didn't purposely try to get "overage" as No Frills doesn't usually do this, but I grabbed from reduced racks not knowing what the final price would be, then got distracted at the cash and she ended up putting in full amounts of coupons.

TOTAL SPENT: $40.51
    TOTAL COUPONS/STORE DISCOUNTS USED: $38.82

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MaddensMomma View Post
    I still find $10 for 20 lbs. expensive.... I miss the 5 lb. $0.99 sales!!
    I like the 10LBS for .99 Sales!!! Usually around Thanksgiving.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Lisa View Post
    Good morning everyone! My house is all cleaned now, it doesn't take long for things to get away on you a little. We were so busy this weekend that it got away on me a bit, it drives me crazy! Lol. But it's all organized again now. I hope you all have great 'hump days', and sassy Ashley, feel better soon!!!
    I love the giftcards as little treats, a free starbucks, a free book from amazon, some money off dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    well I've decided to go back to swagbucks - for the past six months I've been super busy and didn't have time for it. Now I will be able to do it enough to probably earn $10/month... nothing major that's for sure, but I really miss having a little bit of "free" money to play with that I don't feel guilty about. plus it really helped me last Christmas - I had $300 saved in Paypal for gifts. I'm just hoping for a movie GC or Swiss Chalet every once and a while to have a date night
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Wish you could come by, SassyAshley. I'd give you all my sample sinus pills. Every two or three weeks, the local store sells potatoes for $0.99/10 lbs. I would have bought some, but DH grew up eating them until he was sick of them and I don't want to eat them all myself. Then I can indulge my ketchup addiction! Ok, yes, come on over next time they're on sale!!
    That is the price we are looking at paying right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    YES!!! BF bought a bag a few weeks ago ($3.99 for 10LBS) as we hadn't had any for a long time but splurged lol Really I guess 40 cents a LB is not bad but not what we are use too. We are almost out too so hoping they go on sale soon. Usually in the fall they are always cheap.
    I think it would be very important to me if we moved into a fixer uppers it was a livable fixer upper.

We bought our first home back in September. We were then 23 and 24 but both working full time (although we don't earn a lot). We have some debt but not a huge amount. We were able to get a low interest rate on our mortgage and saved for our down payment. Although we still had to pay CMHC fees, we are proud to say that we did it ourselves without any financial help from our family. Our family has helped us out HUGE with renovations and all the manual labour that has gone into the house though! DH is very handy so we bought a fixer upper that was still in livable condition in a nicer area rather than a nicer house in a crappy area. We have slowly been putting the work in as we can afford it.
    Yes! Last night at No Frills they were $4.99 for 10 lb. bag!

Does anyone know where I can find them cheaper than this, asap? Considering starting to buy them at Costco as they are around the same price but the potatoes are a lot bigger, perfect for baked potatoes in the summer!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    Thanks. Getting my feet done always feels good but for me it is a necessity. I`m diabetic and don`t want to get infections by doing it myself.

I did score big time on the books. Got 2 complete series and the 2nd of a series of three...had the other 2 but was missing the 2nd. Plus a bunch of other random books. They have a huge rack of books they get from a closeout type thing so they`re all 1/2 price.

Sweetsparrow-Happy anniversary

Sassyashley-Hope you feel better soon.

Dh used to grow our own potatoes but this year decided not too because of health issues. We always run out and buy more from a neighbour. We use a lot of them too. I think he was charging less than $10 for 50 pounds. It just about kills me to pay $5 or more for 10 pounds at the store.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Savings plans for July
    -stay on budget (we aren't actually saving right now, but no debt either so I will take it)
    -purge house for garage sale (may try kijiji selling, but we are a little rural compared to other areas so I have found my items don't sell as well as in my old neighbourhood)

Received a baby shower invite in the mail today -Gift is already purchased so done!!! $2 Wipes PM to No Frills and TAG clear out baby clothing. Funny, baby is due on July 4 and the shower is July 20. Baby hasn't been born yet, but if mom goes over and they wait two weeks to induce, baby girl would be born on July 18! Not sure this was well thought out. Hope new mom is up for the shower...it has been a hard pregnancy too!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Savings plans for July
    -stay on budget (we aren't actually saving right now, but no debt either so I will take it)
    -purge house for garage sale (may try kijiji selling, but we are a little rural compared to other areas so I have found my items don't sell as well as in my old neighbourhood)

Received a baby shower invite in the mail today -Gift is already purchased so done!!! $2 Wipes PM to No Frills and TAG clear out baby clothing. Funny, baby is due on July 4 and the shower is July 20. Baby hasn't been born yet, but if mom goes over and they wait two weeks to induce, baby girl would be born on July 18! Not sure this was well thought out. Hope new mom is up for the shower...it has been a hard pregnancy too!
    I like the idea of baby showers after the baby is born so everyone gets to meet the baby

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Okay ladies, here are these weeks totals and our crazy deals! Cheap one as we were at IL's all weekend and didn't have a chance to spend extra money lol.

Grocery Budget - $23.17
    1 Pack Marc Angelo pork burgers ($4 sale minus $2 reduced sticker minus $1 coupon)
    Dempster's veggie bread (FPC free)
    Dempster's bagels ($1.99 minus $1.50 coupon)
    2 Packs of D'Italiano buns ($1.99 minus $0.75 coupon)
    4 Milk2Go (Reduced to $0.99 minus $0.75 coupons)
    4 Iogo yogurt (Reduce to $0.50 minus $0.75 coupons)
    4 VH Steamers for lunches ($2.98 minus $2 coupons)
    2 Stouffer's Sliders ($1.99 minus $1.50 coupons)
    2 Cartons Oasis Smoothies ($1.99 minus $0.50 coupons)
    Bicks Relish ($1.47 minus $1 coupon)
    Kraft Peanut Butter ($3 sale)
    3 Corn on the Cob ($0.50 each)
    Cucumber ($0.77)
    Garden Salad ($1.27)
    4 Bananas ($0.57/lb)
    2 Tomatoes (forgot we were given some from a friend)
    2 Green Peppers
    1 Raspberry pint
    1 Celery bunch

Junk Food Budget - $13.95

6 x Pepsi 12 pks. (On sale 2/$5 this week, minus $1wub2 coupons = $2 each!) Hubby is stocked for the month + more!

Household Budget - $3.39
    Pack of 12 No Name Paper Towels ($3 sale)

Beauty/Hygiene Budget - $0.00
    Herbal Essences Hair Spray (reduced to $1.63 minus $2 coupon)

Note: I didn't purposely try to get "overage" as No Frills doesn't usually do this, but I grabbed from reduced racks not knowing what the final price would be, then got distracted at the cash and she ended up putting in full amounts of coupons.

TOTAL SPENT: $40.51
    TOTAL COUPONS/STORE DISCOUNTS USED: $38.82
    That's super savings, great job on your very frugal shopping trip using coupons, discount items and smart shopping

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Savings plans for July

I don't post on kijjiijii because I am rural but I did stumble on a FB group for my area to post items for sale and we just started posting and already the kids have made $105.00, check it out, great job that you are already prepared for the shower

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My July plan: Same as Jasper- Want a Europe's best deal so I can stock up for the freezer! Other then that trying to lay low, shop the sales etc. Same as usual

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

here is my new saving strategy- call the kids.
    I totally forgot to take meat out of the freezer for supper and that can be an invitation for disaster as we all know.
    DS #1 is home for summer at almost 13 we are giving him a few weeks with no summer camp. So I call home and ask him to find meat for supper. He reports back he has steak thawing (he loves steak) and has already made the rub for it
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    That's fantastic, makes you blush & proud of your savings when people recognize, super star for the day!
    The young guy is the manager at my Metro,he says he watchs Extreme Couponing every week .When i told him it was staged he said reallyi said you see what in front of the camera not behind it.He said he would rather watch me then we had a good laugh

Here i go through a lot of potatoes as i love potato salad ,most likely in another month the potatoes will be on sale hopefully
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information