• 3 Post By redhdlois
  • 3 Post By Crochetlady
  • 2 Post By Dee09

Thread: "From One Second to the Next" documentary

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I wanted to share this with everyone.

Werner Herzog Made a Documentary About Texting While Driving. And It’s Haunting.

"From One Second to the Next," the rather unlikely film below, came together when AT&T approached the legendary German filmmaker Werner Herzog and asked if he would direct a series of short films warning people about the dangers of texting while driving.

"What AT&T proposed immediately clicked and connected inside of me," Herzog told the AP. "There's a completely new culture out there. I'm not a participant of texting and driving—or texting at all—but I see there's something going on in civilization which is coming with great vehemence at us."

The result is haunting. It focuses on four accidents, some of them fatal, and Herzog aims his camera squarely at the faces of both victims and perpetrators, asking them to describe in detail what happened and the aftermath. Herzog emphasizes the change in civilization he perceives in part by examining an accident in which an Amish family was killed and another in which a horse-shoer's truck was involved.

It is not easy viewing, but, for the "more than 40,000 high schools" and "hundreds of safety organizations and government agencies" where it will be shown, I suspect it will be effective. As Herzog says, "In one second, entire lives are either wiped out or changed forever."

Here is a link to the article and 35 min video.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._the_next.html
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thanks for posting this - what a powerful video!

Frankly, I just don't understand why people even THINK they can text while driving, it's just insane!

In SK, the fine is $280. I don't think that's enough of a deterrant. I think the phone needs to be confiscated, with $1,000 fine.

Gee, 10 seconds to text, or to kill someone?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I know 35 min seems like a long clip to watch, but I tell you if any of you think you will not be touched by this, you are wrong. Angela, ty for posting this. I have said this before on sc, I have never owned a cell phone, but you know I do think there are so many other things within my daily commute that distract me. Switching the radio to the channel I want, buying my java on my way into work, so very recently I decided I would set the radio channel before I leave the driveway, and not lift the tab up on the lid of my drink until I arrived at work. That little sip, lifting the cup, trying to place it back into the holder can be tough to manouvre , especially when the holder hole is lower and the darkness makes it tricky to get it in place.
    Thanks for posting this reminder to us all Angela that life can change to disaster in just seconds by our selfish acts. We can all be better than that.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I could never understand why people text while driving......is it so important that it cannot wait until you are parked???? People are so obsessed/addicted with/to their cell phones these days you have to wonder.

Whenever I see someone driving and talking on the phone I try to get their attention and say "it's illegal to be talking on the phone while driving".....but these are the people that think that laws don't apply to them. It really annoys me.

People are taking too many risks thinking that it will never happen to them........
    Natalka, Dee09 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I watched the video...so heartbreaking. Personally I think in the case of a death, the person driving and texting should lose their license for life. Small inconvenience compared to losing your life.
    Natalka, Dee09 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yes, powerful. Sure seems many are still not getting it, it's disturbing and maddening.
    Natalka and Crochetlady like this.

Thread Information