User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: "Please don't let my daughter die" - Medical Marijuana

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

First of all I really think they should rename medical marijuana to erase the misconceptions of this treatment.

This father confronted Chris Christie, gov. of NJ, over passing a bill that would allow medical Marijuana to be given to children. It has successfully alleviated some symptoms of epilepsy. Dr. Sanjay Gupta just did a documentary on it called Weed on CNN. A girl went from having 100's of seizures a day to a few a week. She can now function and has hope.

People need to educate themselves on what medical pot really is, it's not about getting high it's about extracting certain elements other than THC from the plants and delivering it in pill or liquid form.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...p_ref=politics

Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) was publicly confronted about making a decision on a medical marijuana bill by a New Jersey father, Politico reported on Thursday.
    "Please don’t let my daughter die, Governor," Brian Wilson, the father of a 2-year-old girl who suffers from Dravet Syndrome, a severe form of epilepsy, said to Christie at a diner in Scotch Plains, N.J. "Don’t let my daughter die."
    As CNN reported last year, a non-psychoactive form of marijuana was used to help treat a 6-year-old suffering from the same condition as Wilson's daughter. The child's parents said the drug helped curb his seizures.
    “These are complicated issues,” Christie said in response to Wilson's plea.
    “Very simple issue,” Wilson replied.
    “No, I know you think it’s simple… I know you think it’s simple and it’s not,” the governor responded.
    Christie wished Wilson and his family the best, and promised he'd have a decision on the medical marijuana bill by Friday, saying he'd do what he thinks is "best for the people of the state."

In June, the Democratic-controlled New Jersey Assembly passedlegislation that would reduce the number of doctors from whom a minor needs approval to receive medical marijuana, and would make available edible forms of the drug to make it easier for children to use it.
    The bill received bipartisan support, but Christie had previously indicatedthat he was "not inclined" to let children use the drug, according to The Star-Ledger.
    "I'm very concerned, if we go down this slope of allowing minors to use this, where does it end?" Christie said.
    State Assemblywoman Linda Stender (D-Scotch Plains), a co-sponsor of the legislation, told The Huffington Post that the bill is "reasonable," providing access to treatment that some families need.
    "I don't agree with [Christie] on a lot of things," she said. "I hope that we're gonna agree on this."
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    gameprogirl, TaraF, lecale and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I didn't realize there was a difference between medical marijuana and the horrible smelling stuff that my neighbour smokes. You're right. They should rename it.
    anisa, princessjen, TaraF and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

So whats up with all the chemical companies making medicine ,you think they would be all over this making big money."just a thought"

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    So whats up with all the chemical companies making medicine ,you think they would be all over this making big money."just a thought"
    That would be akin to the pharmacuetical companies making chamomile tea and selling it in pill form to alleviate stomach upset. Why would I pay 50$ a bottle when I can grow chamomile naturally in my own backyard? There's no money to be made in marijuana for these companies.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I knew a kid that was 18 or 19 and tried pot for his epilepsy. They had ran out of treatments for him and even the pot didn't help... he passed away. if it can save one person's life they should be giving it them. I have seen it work to save a life. My sister was 5 foot 6 and 86lbs... she couldn't eat and her bones were all sticking out. She couldn't walk and she was in bad shape. She did partake... and inhaled and it worked and she could eat and my nieces still have their mother. That was 18 years ago. I have never smoked pot... but it should be accessible to those who require it medically.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 02:10 PM.
    Patty Smyth, Crochetlady and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    Yes. The pharmaceutical companies already make products to help with the condition that the mother is requesting.

In addition, the active ingredient in marijuana that helps with side effects of cancer treatment is already available. A strong contingent in favour of medical marijuana that is smoked, would like the medical marijuana that is smokes to be available, and are actively lobbying political leaders to get this done.

Summary, marijuana's helpful ingredients are already available to patients in other formulations. However activists want the smoked version available.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
    Patty Smyth and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    However there probably will not be any research on CBT until pot is legalized, because it is too much risk for pharma to sink money into a project that the government could ban at any moment. IMO.
    Agree that pharmaceutical companies probably would not do any clinical trials using children smoking marijuana.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 02:11 PM.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I saw that documentary as well. What an eye opener. If it can help, I am all for it.
    Patty Smyth and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i had no clue about pill formulations of the components of weed.

whenever i have seen a reference on TV, they show someone smoking up, and i never looked further into it.
    abbasgirl likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If my child had something horrible like cancer I would absolutely hope that this medicinal oil treatment would be an option for us. I would rather give my child something naturally occurring than the potions and pills developed in labs if I can help it.

I haven't ever used any version of marijuana myself but if I got cancer in my later years that would be one of my first considerations, in either the classic 'pot brownie' form or in this medicinal oil, or both or whatever is available. Again just out of the hope that I can avoid a handful of pills with unpronounceable names.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I've read a lot about cannabis oil usage...and I support it 100% for the right reasons....you still get high from it even though it's ingested and not smoked.....Drs I've asked about it for epilepsy don't think it will help lower seizures, however I disagree

and the anti epileptic drugs available have very many side effects....some fatal...most people with epilepsy have to go through a crap load of meds before they are able to find one that works for them, and a suitable dosage ....it's very frustrating for the patient and the family
    Last edited by saddlebag; Mon, Sep 30th, 2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Add on
    Patty Smyth and lecale like this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

i`m all for people using medical marijuana if they truly believe it soothes whichever symptoms they have.

unfortunately - i know two people who are prescribed it for medical reasons legitimately, but choose to abuse their privilege.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information