User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Diet Pills??

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Has anybody used any tip of diet pills? i need to lose at least 60 pounds but i have no energy nothing at all and i feel like diet pills would get me jump started on losing weight and hopefully getting some energy.

Have you taken diet pills? what kind?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Don`t do diet pills. A friend of mine cut 30 pounds in 2 months. Got addicted and really sick. A lot of pills contain amphetamine.

Find motivation. Start light walks. Eat clean. Vitamins.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree with Candini - just don't do it.

Go see your doctor, get referred to a nutritionist.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I didn't think there were diet pills available legally. The last one, fen-phen, got pulled off the market due to creating heart problems. Some people developed the problems years after they even stopped taking them.

Even if they were some available throught prescription, I wouldn't trust them.
    Candini likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Please don't do diet pills. As others have said, there are too many health risks involved. I'm not sure why you need to lose 60 pounds, but your best option is to change your lifestyle, not go for a quick fix. If you take diet pills or do fad diets, once you stop, you gain it all back and it becomes a vicious cycle.
    walkonby, Shwa Girl and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Crap like that causes trouble.....do it right or don't do it at all
    ....just be happy

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

plus one on everyone's comments....just wait till your mind is in a better place to start it the right way. Experimenting with any diet pills will be risky.

babies teach us acceptance

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Unsure if there diet pills but i see like cleanses etc on the shelves at Rexall for example are those the same as diet pills? i want to lose weight i just find i cant find the motivation.My husband is 120 pounds and can eat like a horse but he is active.I am almost twice his weight and i eat what he eats usually which sometimes is pure junk but i am not as active as he is i used to go for walks etc and dropped down to 160 but packed back on the weight after 2 years.

When i dropped down to 160 i was eating very bad only 500 calories a day and 2-3 mile walks a day sometimes twice..so i dropped from 280 down to 160 during summer vacation before i went back for 12th grade.

I guess i find that i tend to go from one extreme to the next either overeating or under eating and i want to find the happy medium.My ideal goal weight is 155 pounds but the motivation to do it is not fully there yet does not help i don't have any friends in the city i live in now that live close to me that will come on walks with me.I don't fully know the area yet and my husband either works or is in class so he is not around alot to come on walks with me.
    Candini likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MakaylaGreen View Post
    Unsure if there diet pills but i see like cleanses etc on the shelves at Rexall for example are those the same as diet pills? i want to lose weight i just find i cant find the motivation.My husband is 120 pounds and can eat like a horse but he is active.I am almost twice his weight and i eat what he eats usually which sometimes is pure junk but i am not as active as he is i used to go for walks etc and dropped down to 160 but packed back on the weight after 2 years.

When i dropped down to 160 i was eating very bad only 500 calories a day and 2-3 mile walks a day sometimes twice..so i dropped from 280 down to 160 during summer vacation before i went back for 12th grade.

I guess i find that i tend to go from one extreme to the next either overeating or under eating and i want to find the happy medium.My ideal goal weight is 155 pounds but the motivation to do it is not fully there yet does not help i don't have any friends in the city i live in now that live close to me that will come on walks with me.I don't fully know the area yet and my husband either works or is in class so he is not around alot to come on walks with me.

Big difference between cleanses and diet pills

Cleanses you can get all kinds at the health store that are natural and healthy. I don`t know about Rexall brands.

A lot of them act as a laxative though so don`t use it before you go to work or school!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Unsure if there diet pills but i see like cleanses etc on the shelves at Rexall for example are those the same as diet pills?
    See #27 about cleansers.
    This is from Dietitians of Canada
    http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health...014/Myths.aspx
    thriftygranny likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Free telephone consult with a dietitian in Manitoba.

Speak to a dietitian - provincial call centres

• In Ontario, call toll free 1-877-510-5102 Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET). Evening hours are Tuesday and Thursday to 9:00 p.m. ET
      Learn more
    • In British Columbia, call toll free 8-1-1, Monday to Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m and Friday 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. Pacific Time (PT).
      Learn more
    • In Manitoba, call toll free 1-877-830-2892 or 204-788-8248 in Winnipeg, Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central Time (CT)
      Learn more

Registered Dietitians are there to provide answers to nutrition and healthy-eating questions, Note: the service does not replace advice from your medical doctor or individual counselling with a Registered Dietitian.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

On another note, diet pills are only created for short term success. As in a few months...

Once you stop taking diet pills you will gain back what you lost if not more.

Sorry but the best method for weight loss is cutting calories, portion control and getting off the old bum!! I was on a plateau for a while, but in the past 3 weeks have lost almost 9 pounds by sticking to 1300 calories a day and adding ONLY 20 minutes of circuit training 5 days per week.

All of my previous weight loss was done by sticking to 1300 calories per day, with one cheat day (sundays) and no exercise. Without the exercise I was maintaining a loss of 10-12 pounds per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Shwa Girl and thriftygranny like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cleanses are different than diet pills but I still wouldn't say you should take them. As Candini said, most are essentially laxatives. Also, assuming you don't have any major health problems, your body doesn't really need a cleanse.

Don't compare yourself to your husband or anyone else. Everyone is different. My friend eats everything under the sun and exercises the same as me (we often do classes together) but she still loses weight. Genetics really do play a huge part in it, but that's not to justify not being healthy.

You said you want to lose weight so, answer this question: Why? Do you want to so that you can match your husband. Do you want to so that you can play with your kids (not sure if you have any). This was my friend's brother's motivation. He was too unhealthy to get down and play with his kids. He could barely run after them at the park. His motivation to lose weight was so that he could see his children grow up. My motivation for losing weight was so that I stopped putting so much pressure on my knee to avoid knee replacement surgery. It was also so that I could live longer and be healthier. My father died in his 50s from a heart attack. I didn't want that. I also don't want the diabetes that runs in my family. Losing weight will help with that. Once you answer the question of why you want to lose weight you should be able to find your motivation. Extra motivation will be if you set yourself a realistic weight loss goal and set a date. If you've got something coming up, set a goal for that. A defined date helps you keep your motivation.

Go out and explore your area. Take your head phones and go for a walk. That's how I started getting more active. I started walking at lunch and then once I started to feel better and get more confidence, I started running again. Baby steps are key. Make friends with someone and go for walks. Get your husband on board. If you're the one who makes meals, stop making or eating junk food. He'll have to suck it up or make his own meals. Even if he eats a huge portion of dinner, cut yours down. Don't drastically change your diet either. Slowly wean yourself off of things. Deprivation will just lead to bingeing. Set yourself a single small change. If you drink 3 cans of pop a day, change one to water. Once you're used to drinking two, change one more to water and so on. It's a slow process but it can work. Gradual weight loss is the best thing for your body and your overall health. Losing too much weight at one time, which is what fad diets and pills do, can shock your system, making it dependent on them. If you go off the pills or diet, you usually gain back more than what you lost.
    Last edited by trishka; Mon, Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
    anisa, Natalka and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Diet pills are not the right way to lose your weight. There are many people who have addicted and they must have to take it, otherwise they experience lot of physical issues. You can start with yoga and meditation. So that you can get energy and motivation to do physical exercise more or less. Instead of eating full meal, split it and eat it 4 to 5 times a day.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

A few things have helped me.

Limiting my carbohydrates to 2 servings per meal. A serving of carbohydrates is 15grams. What does that translate to?
    one serving of carbs would be foods like ...
    - an apple
    - a banana
    -3/4 cup of blueberries
    - a pear
    - a cup of blackberries
    - a slice of bread
    - a small tortilla
    - 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
    - 1 cup milk
    - 1/3 cup pasta

pick carbs that are low glycemic. they will give you a steady, slow release of sugar into your body, instead of spikes of energy and sudden drops.

Find the Glycemic Index research on foods at this website

Do not rely on processed foods. Eat whole foods, foods in their more natural form. That includes grains, which is very difficult to do. no one wants to chew a spoonful of wheat grains. the only whole grain i eat is steel cut oats and barley porridge for brekkie sometimes.

try to avoid processed grains. we don't need processed grains for our carbs, we can get plenty of carbs from veggies and fruits, and if you pick ones that are Low Glycemic, you will feel satisfied longer, and your body will be happier than if you eat breads, rices, pasta, crackers, cookies etc. That said, if you are in a bind, or feel like having a treat, have a serving of al dente cooked pasta in your meal, and make sure you are eating a good serving of veggies with it and some protein. Al dente cooked pasta is processed by your body better than bread is processed. Limit that plate of pasta to 1/2 cup.

get used to feeling hungry again. we don't let ourselves feel hunger, and then we start to snack on terrible things between meals. don't starve yourself. make sure you eat a well rounded meal including lots of produce and some healthy proteins.

eating proteins with your carbs will leave you feeling satisfied for a longer period of time.

I have lost a lot of weight, and have more to lose. these things have really helped me. The Low Glycemic thing has been a real eye opener, and been very liberating. I can eat fruit as long as i know which are the better choices. I know which carbs will help me, and which will hinder me.

Also, you don't have to exercise your butt off. A lot of walking and taking the stairs whenever you can is amazing for your body. walking uses all your major muscle groups. It doesn't leave you starving either. The worst feeling is when you work out, and then are left feeling so hungry that you cheat. it leave you feeling terrible, and that is not worth it to me. I would much rather watch what I eat, and then keep myself active with lots of walking. It is a slow process for losing weight, but it is steady and reliable.

good luck!
    Last edited by anisa; Wed, Oct 9th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.
    walkonby and Shwa Girl like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information