User Tag List

Page 30 of 103 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 ... LastLast
Like Tree8252Likes

Thread: Ring in the Savings - January 2014 Frugal Chatter thread

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

thanks.. i have a feeling it'll work out well.. last time i worked dh ensure everyone kicked in and helped at home.. thats my biggest worry.. well not to mention not possibly seeing dh for days.. if im working days.. won't see him... if im working nights. i might get to see him for a bit in the mornings.. maybe the kids will actually help out more without Mom talking their ear off.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

ok I confess, I tried to resist Target but I was so close to one I could not resist. For 21.00 bucks I got a ton of bags & wrap & boxes. But the best deal was the three pack airwick sprays (the big ones for the device that I don'&t know the name) for 49 cents & the holiday gift set of plug ins for 39 cents. CRAZY. this is going into my "look how little I spent box" for my newly single brother. I am only putting in products that cost less than dollar, (not including taxes) so far its been a lot of fun.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    So my SIL still hasn`t called me back so I finally called the hospital to get an update on my brother. His nurse said he walked to the chair in his room this a.m. with help. His left side only is affected which is good...he`s right handed. Even better, his speech is ok. He loves to talk lol They`re working on his left arm so hopefully he will be able to use it some.
    this is good to hear, may everyday be better than the one before.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I just read your update Crochetlady. so glad your brother is up and moving. thats so important to recovery. hopefully he regains use of his left arm as well.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    so.. not sure if its my positive attitude about this new year... or the horoscope that was posted in here a few days ago..but.. i now have an opportunity to go back to work.. doing the exact same thing i was doing before. same place..
    its a whole new life though for us.. my kids were in grade school.. my dh worked days..my parents weren't so 'aged'.

now my kids are in college/possible working life too... my dh works all nights.... and my parents well you all know how that is.
    i know we could use the extra money, kids are not cheap to feed. we'd like to save up a for down payment someday.
    i could really use the benefits. (as dh's works' SUCK)..
    im sorta getting tired of being home all the time.. (NO offence to anyone or this site here..)
    eventually the kids are going to leave.. so the extra income would be helpful esp. when we can save it...
    has anyone else gone back to work after nearly 10 years..close to empty nesting.. and were ok with it.
    i have some medical issues i need to work out.. but hoping they (the company understands)
    speaking of medical issues id def. have to sit with my parents and make sure they know what their options are with care. as im on their calling list.
    so what do you think.. do i go for it.
    Go for it I say!!I have always worked for my husband so mostly from home and very sporadically. My son is now 16 and driving so I no longer have the position of taxi driver to school, sports etc and my 3 girls are all independent. I took a part time job in October and I was scared to death after being self employed and working my own hours.I love it, love getting the extra pay, I really enjoy the people and it feels great to be out there. Since your kids are college age I am assuming you are thinking about the retirement years and saving which financially is the best move one can do. people just don't realize how much money they will need down the road and they should be working while they can. good luck Mrs. sunshine!!
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Thu, Jan 9th, 2014 at 11:37 PM.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    ok I confess, I tried to resist Target but I was so close to one I could not resist. For 21.00 bucks I got a ton of bags & wrap & boxes. But the best deal was the three pack airwick sprays (the big ones for the device that I don'&t know the name) for 49 cents & the holiday gift set of plug ins for 39 cents. CRAZY. this is going into my "look how little I spent box" for my newly single brother. I am only putting in products that cost less than dollar, (not including taxes) so far its been a lot of fun.
    That`s so nice of you to help your brother.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

thanks.. i have a feeling it'll work out well.. last time i worked dh ensure everyone kicked in and helped at home.. thats my biggest worry.. well not to mention not possibly seeing dh for days.. if im working days.. won't see him... if im working nights. i might get to see him for a bit in the mornings.. maybe the kids will actually help out more without Mom talking their ear off.
    Sometimes it teaches kids to be more responsible.

I have a friend who worked afternoons, her hubby worked days. She was asleep when he left...he was sleeping when she got home. They comunicated by leaving each other notes.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

So my SIL still hasn`t called me back so I finally called the hospital to get an update on my brother. His nurse said he walked to the chair in his room this a.m. with help. His left side only is affected which is good...he`s right handed. Even better, his speech is ok. He loves to talk lol They`re working on his left arm so hopefully he will be able to use it some.
    I'm glad his speech is okay. Keep him chattering, his brain cells moving, and his spirits up!

so.. not sure if its my positive attitude about this new year... or the horoscope that was posted in here a few days ago..but.. i now have an opportunity to go back to work.. doing the exact same thing i was doing before. same place..
    its a whole new life though for us.. my kids were in grade school.. my dh worked days..my parents weren't so 'aged'.
    now my kids are in college/possible working life too... my dh works all nights.... and my parents well you all know how that is.
    i know we could use the extra money, kids are not cheap to feed. we'd like to save up a for down payment someday.
    i could really use the benefits. (as dh's works' SUCK)..
    im sorta getting tired of being home all the time.. (NO offence to anyone or this site here..)
    eventually the kids are going to leave.. so the extra income would be helpful esp. when we can save it...
    has anyone else gone back to work after nearly 10 years..close to empty nesting.. and were ok with it.
    i have some medical issues i need to work out.. but hoping they (the company understands)
    speaking of medical issues id def. have to sit with my parents and make sure they know what their options are with care. as im on their calling list.
    so what do you think.. do i go for it.
    Having benefits is a great insurance policy for those what-ifs (I know exactly what it's like to have a DH with crummy benefits). Extra money is great for food, and what the kids don't eat can be a down payment. Go, get out and stretch your wings, make some friends, and earn money at the same time. If it doesn't work out, you'll never have to wonder if you should have went for it.

Both my sisters went back to work after nearly 10 years and they're doing just fine.

I have a friend who worked afternoons, her hubby worked days. She was asleep when he left...he was sleeping when she got home. They comunicated by leaving each other notes.
    That sounds like a good book if someone were to compile all the notes. Little things like "I forgot to pick up the cake on the way home tonight. P.S. I miss you." would be such a good read.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    ok I confess, I tried to resist Target but I was so close to one I could not resist. For 21.00 bucks I got a ton of bags & wrap & boxes. But the best deal was the three pack airwick sprays (the big ones for the device that I don'&t know the name) for 49 cents & the holiday gift set of plug ins for 39 cents. CRAZY.
    You guys are killing me. I won't be able to get to Target until this weekend. Well, I have a return to make so if I don't find anything, I'm getting money back in the pocket. Win-win, really.

I have a very unsexy QOTD: Do you have a will so that your loved ones will get full benefit or a named guardian for your children? Now with LO here, I may finally stop procrastinating and bite the bullet. Time to start thinking of these things.... My mind is nagging me.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I paid $500 for mine and my DH's will/POA last year after our second child. After humming and hahing and considering doing it ourselves, it was worth every penny. Even the custody discussions were something DH and I needed to have.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes hubby and I got a will(20 some odd years ago) when we took the kids to myrtle beach everything is cut an dry In it-my son is now thinking of a will and ashlyn is 3 months

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We did our will when we had our 1st and it specified "future children". At that time we named their guardians. We updated it several years ago to actually name both boys and becuase our finacial situation had changed. We also once changed the guardian becuase I did not want my brother and then SIL to raise our kids. We never told them but we did tell our parents because we gave guardian ship to friends so I did not want any surprises. The boys know who their guardians are and understand what it means.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went back to work after being a stay at home Mom for 15 years. I have no regrets about that. The kids were 13 and 15.

Although I was a stay-at-home-Mom, I had taught my kids all the life skills they would need so when the time came that I went back to work, each kid (2) and my husband took one night a week to cook and, my husband took on his and my laundry and the kids did their own. Whoever cooked didn't have to do the dishes so everyone was happy about that. Each kid looked after their own rooms and my husband and I took on the rest housekeeping on the weekend. After about 5 years both kids were gone my husband took on the supper preparation because he was home first.

I always believed that, when bringing kids up, we reap what we sow, so I guess that putting the time in to teach mine the life skills paid off when I went back to work.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow, A will is one of those things that we all seem to procrastinate about!however once the kids come along it is one of the most important things you can do.I was orphaned at a young age and everything was laid out for us in black and white making it so much easier for our guardian.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

wow.. what a day..
    it started off with me sleeping in, when i was supposed to be up and gone by 830 and to target for 9.. whoops..
    instead i could barely sleep with the 'noise' in my left ear..I think i need a cleaning. i sleep best on my left side.. not last night.
    so very tired this morning.. anyway. dh's alarm goes off around 1030?? i asked him y he was getting up so early.. he was like y not.
    then rolls over and pulls out ...... my new Polaroid tablet.. my son fell in love with my other one. so he bought it..
    surprise for me. yay!
    so i then asked if he would mind taking me to the mall... sure he says.. BONUS.
    so i spent this morning and a couple of hours this afternoon at Target, Michael's and Loblaw's.
    Target- 90% off.. Michael's/Loblaws - 80% off christmas.. my word.. 3 HUGE bags later..
    I'm looking at starting a little business on the side for myself but needed to obtain the materials cheaply.. mission accomplished.

THEN I come home to find my son's have gone on a grocery shopping mission. (dad has supplied the list)
    hmm.. thought my birthday wasn't til may. and xmas is over.. I IZ spoiled. .. turning out to be a good year so far
    See Mrs S. sometimes the stars align....
    Glad you had a productive day....and that you guys came through for you, and made your day.

Page 30 of 103 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 ... LastLast

Thread Information