User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: ...

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

You did right Candini. Shout as loud as you can to scare him off. AND never open the door to strangers even if they're polite. Criminals do everything nowadays to get a hand at what you've got. I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hope you are doing ok.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Glad he didn't make his way in.
    I know they go from house to house checking for unlocked doors. There has been a lot of robberies in a nearby neighbourhood, especially during the summer, where people have left their back door unlocked. I once heard the outside gate leading to my backyard slammed. When DH went to check, the gate was wide opened which is never the case.
    I always check the doors are locked before I go to bed, even if DH said he checked.

Careful of people pretending to be salesmen. Sometimes when you open, they can push their way in.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I have a bat beside the door also and when I go answer the door many times I will take the big knife from my block and walk with it and a dish towel pretending to be drying it. Of course I always lock them also but sometimes in the summer just the screen door is locked and the inner door open that's why i carry the knife.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Oh and if I do decide to answer the door to a stranger, I talk to them through the french doors.
    My parents always told us to do that as children..lol they do it too- especially once it's dark.
    Like, no, I don't want to "donate" to your charity that I've never heard of and no I don't need you to inspect my house/furnace/etc. and no my brother doesn't want to come out to meet you, no I don't want to join your cult!

I've always wanted a Belgian Malinois. Dream dog!
    Name:  cachetraining704.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  50.5 KB
    Last edited by janetta; Sun, Jan 5th, 2014 at 04:34 AM.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Funny, just had someone knock on my door, it was two guys saying they were here about my Kijiji ad for a TV, asked if this was XX 123 Street, which it was. I do have a Kijiji ad, but haven't heard from anyone on it, and my ad certainly doesn't have my address. My spidey sense is telling me that this was fishy, maybe someone checking to see if there was anybody home since we have no car in our driveway.
    harbie, Lynn49, janetta and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Those Kijiji ads can be nothing but trouble, so never place your address out there for 'guys' like that or worse. I have a few things to get rid of, and have been thinking about it and the fact that I'd meet whoever wanted those smaller items, at the near-by Tims.
    As for talking thru the door, I'd never do that, either. It's my home and I will speak to whoever I want to on my own terms, in my own good time. Interruptions absolutely drive me 'round the bend! As far as they're concerned, there's no one home except a very loud and big-sounding dog....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Funny, just had someone knock on my door, it was two guys saying they were here about my Kijiji ad for a TV, asked if this was XX 123 Street, which it was. I do have a Kijiji ad, but haven't heard from anyone on it, and my ad certainly doesn't have my address. My spidey sense is telling me that this was fishy, maybe someone checking to see if there was anybody home since we have no car in our driveway.
    Wow! That's creepy!
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have all my doors and windows locked at all times. I also have a baseball and a loaded gun within reach. Plus I have a very large dog that scares the heck out of people
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

*sighs* I want a loaded gun at all times.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

yikes...that is scary!

gonna have to buy some of this... http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sa...l#.UsoxR7SO6Bp

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can relate! We used to have this happen often when we lived in row housing (a townhouse), and it's why I still keep my doors locked full time. We now have 6 separate entrances to our home and believe me, I am sure to check ALL of them. I still don't get how people can just walk into someone else's house without even paying attention to the house numbers. One even took his shoes off and attempted to enter our living room all the while I am standing there staring at him. Sorry this happened to you, glad to hear you had your doors locked!!!
    Lynn49 and Redneck Charger like this.

Trading Score
    53 (100%)

Wow that is actually so scary. I am glad that you were brave and managed to scare the guy away. I am always paranoid of this same situation. Living in an apartment makes me feel a bit safer though because every entrance and exit has a camera. I hate it when someone knocks, and you are watching TV loud enough for the person outside your door to know you are home. I'm loving the idea of keeping a bat outside my door though LOL.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    yikes...that is scary!

gonna have to buy some of this... http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sa...l#.UsoxR7SO6Bp
    Now THAT'S what we all need beside our doors!! I had mentioned bear spray because apparently the spray can shoot 20' away so that someone in a parking lot, for instance, doesn't have to get up close to her attacker...Scary times. This belongs in each of our grown-up kids' stocking stuffers.....
    Candini likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    I have all my doors and windows locked at all times. I also have a baseball and a loaded gun within reach. Plus I have a very large dog that scares the heck out of people
    I think he is adorable and snuggly and I would just go up to him and we would have kissings and snuggles! It's funny how people have warned me away from their dogs as a kid and even now, yet they all seem to be okay with me; maybe I was a dog in a former life and they sense that.....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I keep my doors locked all the time. If the doorbell rings or knock at the door, I don't answer unless I'm expecting someone. I'll peak out the curtains. If recognize the person, car, postal truck, I answer. I usually ask most people I know, to call me first, before coming over. Unless it's an emergency.

One time I answered the door in a hurry because I was expecting someone. Turns out it was a sales man. He was semi-aggressive in his approach and didn't leave after saying "No thanks" several times. My cousin was also over. I walked away from the door, (he was standing on the step and my cousin was right nearby) and I said "Okay I will have to get my dog Brutus he will not be happy". I have a knack for imitating a vicious, barking dog. I headed towards the kitchen and pretended "Brutus" was coming towards the front door, imitating a barking vicious dog. That guy took off like a cannon lol.
    Last edited by toban; Mon, Jan 6th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Zonny, r0c0upons, Candini and 2 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information