User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: If you are sick STAY HOME

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Last week 3 co-workers were feeling less than stellar at work. One was hacking up a lung non stop, the other was sneezing and blowing her nose non stop and one was literally vomiting while at work.

What the heck is wrong with them. STAY home if you are sick. Now I feel like crap and will probably have to call in sick tomorrow if I still feel this way. There is no reason a person should go to work sick. It's disrespectful in my opinion. I understand some people need to work their amount of hours in order to cover their bills etc but I really feel like sick people are being disrespectful by spreading their germs in the workplace.

Off to blow my nose and lysol my keyboard for the 100th time today. boo
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    macw1960, DianneS, BC Gal and 3 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hope you feel better soon
    CrazyQT likes this.
    http://ptab.it/3s0kQ

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Sorry this happened to you OP.

The doctors in Ontario have a poster for just this occasion.
    CAUTION: Some may be grossed out by the poster

Snot.pdfSnot.pdf
    CrazyQT, Candini and acosta like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Any place I've worked is the opposite, that you basically told to come in if you are sick and if the boss deems you "sick enough" then you can go home.
    CrazyQT, SFARAZ, walkonby and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I know that's mega annoying. Sorry you're sick now. I was going to say what GracieAnne said. Some people (and workplaces) encourage the attitude that if you are sick, you work through it or you are weak or a wuss. Or they may not have sick days at all. Really stupid because you're just spreading disease around to everyone and no one is going to get work done.
    CrazyQT and lghend like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sorry you are sick.

As some others have pointed out in some cases taking the time off is not an option. Pretty much the only time someone is off at my work is if you are vomiting. If we have a cold unless it something serious (one girl has asthma, I have viral asthma and sinus issues) that makes it so we cannot come in we are there. In our case we were work for a medium size company and if we are away we are not covered so even when we take a sick day we usually only take one day because we need to get back. Luckily since most of us do not take many sick days when we do our bosses know we are sick but at the same time yes there are many times we are there and sick, we cannot take time off every time we get a cold. It sucks but that is fact.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Stopped at Subway one evening a couple of months ago. The woman working gave nine coughs in about a minute -- as she was getting bread out of the case and cutting it. "White cheddar or shredded cheese?" Ick. Couldn't she at least have been working the cash register?
    CrazyQT and DianneS like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I will say one thing about the cough - I have an asthma cough, and it is crazy loud (my parents used to make me sleep in the basement when I had a cold so I wouldn't wake them up ). I can feel perfectly fine, not sick at all, but I can still rattle windows if my cough acts up. And it's actually worse if I have to be around people that smoke.

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I've gone in with a cold. I dosed myself with cold pills and took extra, extra care to wash my hands. But I can't afford to take time off. It super sucks, but its the same for many people all the way around.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

When I was pregnant with ds1 I was constantly vomiting. I would throw up walking to/from work as well as having to go to the bathroom several times during work. I was not sick and definitely not contagious. (There was no chance of a coworker catching my baby lol). While I'm sure people walking into the bathroom thought I was sick I wasn't and couldn't afford to miss work everyday. I did end up going on maternity leave a bit early and never went back to work when my maternity leave ended because I really didn't want to put ds1 in daycare.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I called in sick last month when i had bronchitis and flu symptoms i was well within the required 3 hour time frame to call in sick.They told me to come in anyways and they would send me home if i was that sick..i had to have a supervisor come cover my till well i went and threw up and returned back to work..was i sent home? nope.

Believe me i did not want to be there and was super annoyed to be told to come in anyways..some employers don't care if your sick they still want you to work.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MakaylaGreen View Post
    I called in sick last month when i had bronchitis and flu symptoms i was well within the required 3 hour time frame to call in sick.They told me to come in anyways and they would send me home if i was that sick..i had to have a supervisor come cover my till well i went and threw up and returned back to work..was i sent home? nope.

Believe me i did not want to be there and was super annoyed to be told to come in anyways..some employers don't care if your sick they still want you to work.
    OMG! That`s awful. I thought you can take sick day as long as you have a Dr. note.

I am down again, got a sorethroat a few days ago and is waiting for it to travel down and invade my lungs. There`s not much I can do besides taking some strong pain killer. Last time I was sick for 3 months and I am very afraid right now...I hope it's not the same thing but the symptoms are identical.
    Last edited by Decaf; Sun, Feb 9th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
    CrazyQT likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While in a perfect world, calling in when sick would be great, most of the time it is not an option.
    I have worked while sick. I was paid by the hour, had a mortgage to pay and kids to feed.
    Loosing a days pay was just not an option.
    Everyone gets sick. It is part of life. We may not like it, but it happens.

I actually did a workshop in school last week. My youngest had the poops and I had no one to watch him and I could not send him to school. I had to do my workshop with my son in the room. It was hell, but a pass is better than a fail. Sometimes we have no other options.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I was the bagel girl at Tim Horton's about 3 years ago - I was sick, nose dripping, sneezing and not able to breath - I was death warmed over as my mom would say. I called in sick and manager said come to work until we can get someone to cover me. So I went to work and I was dying - finally I told them I was leaving and the attitude I got because between 6am to 10am they are timed and once a year there a competition for best drive through times. Some places don't care and my work didn't care - but I left anyways cause I bet I passed the cold on to people. Some places just don't care if you are sick.
    CrazyQT, i_forget, lghend and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for all the well wishes.

I think any place of employment that tells you to work while you are sick is pretty insensitive. I know it happens more often than not but it still sucks. I bet if your boss was ill they wouldn't think twice about calling in sick.

Such is life I guess.
    SassyAshley and sunshine525 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information