User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: PMing = time-consuming but SO worth it :)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I know that many people have problems when it comes to PMing and using coupons at WM, but since I so far haven't had any problems I thought I'd go for a grocery shop PMing almost everything I was buying. I was nervous, but planned ahead and was as organized as possible so as to make for an easy transaction for the cashier to get the best results

First, a short how-to in how I do it. On my iPad I have an app called Flyerify which has flyers for any store I've ever heard of and many that I haven't heard of, including tons of independent supermarkets across the country. On Friday I went through every ad on there (except for irrelevant stores; hardware, home stores, electronics etc) and whenever I came across something that seemed like a great deal I took a quick screenshot of it and also wrote down the deal and the store name (in case they ask, which they never do). I would then go through the images and delete all but the best price for each item I wanted (I.e. I had 3 different prices for bananas but only kept the picture of the cheapest priced ad). When it comes time to go to the checkout, I organize my cart in order of the way the items appear in my photos, so that I can just go to the next picture for the next item. I place the items on the belt in the same order, and of course I walk past each checkout and go to the cashier who seems least likely to present any challenges.

Anyway, my shop today went like this. WM's current price (whether regular or sale) is written in blue, and the price I paid is in green.

Imitation almond extract - no PM $2.32
    4L skim milk and 4L 1% milk - no PM $3.97 each
    2x 1 lb strawberries - $1.97 each 2/$2.99 (cashier did $1.50 for 1 and $1.49 for the other)
    Danactive 8-ct drinkable yogurt $4.99 $4.79
    6x cucumber $0.77 each 3/$1 (actually paid 3/$0.99 because cashier rang them all in at $0.33 each)
    1.75 lb Golden delicious apples $1.47/lb $0.69/lb
    5x Red mango $1.27 each $0.69 each
    1.54 lb Red globe grapes $2.47/lb $1.68/lb
    Ritz crackerfuls and Triscuit brown rice $1.97 each $1.44 each
    4x Honey Bunches of Oats Greek yogurt cereal $4.67 each 4/$5
    Oasis Nutrisource 1.36 L $2.47 $1.77
    2.26 lb bananas $0.57/lb $0.37/lb
    4x Astro Greek yogurt 500g $4.47 each 2/$5
    2x Dempster's Zero bread $2.87 each 2/$4
    Colgate Optic White mouthwash 946 ml $8.77 $2.97

Just from pricematching I saved 43% on my bill!!! ($54.73 vs $95.34) Of course I couldn't just stop there I used $16.25 worth of coupons and should be getting $7.75 back from rebate apps (including 'first receipt' rebate from Zweet). My overall savings including coupons and rebates was $64.61 (68%), but it just goes to show how much you can save without even having to carry coupons around with you

My next goal: PMing meats!
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Independent
    Last edited by sun_shine; Sat, Apr 5th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    218 (100%)

Very nice brag! It's time consuming but definitely worth it

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    154 (100%)

Awesome. Pricematching/coupning is time consuming but at the ends, it's all so worth it. Btw, can you plz tell me which store did you PM for honey bunches of oats? Love that stuff.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

nice savings! there's an app called that shows flyers too (though i believe it's location specific) but you can also search for items and it'll automatically display all the deals in the flyers so you don't have to manually look yourself.

where did you PM for the Honey Bunches of Oats deal?
    sun_shine likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashoo View Post
    Awesome. Pricematching/coupning is time consuming but at the ends, it's all so worth it. Btw, can you plz tell me which store did you PM for honey bunches of oats? Love that stuff.
    It was Sal's Grocery, but it is specifically for the Greek yogurt type I have SO much cereal but couldn't resist buying this stuff for 25 cents/box after coupons and it's good until December so I will have time to eat it. I couldn't believe the price!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by elusive View Post
    nice savings! there's an app called that shows flyers too (though i believe it's location specific) but you can also search for items and it'll automatically display all the deals in the flyers so you don't have to manually look yourself.

where did you PM for the Honey Bunches of Oats deal?
    I do use for quick searches and often for health/beauty stuff Though most of the deals I PMed today were for smaller markets that are probably not on either. I love that app though and use it regularly as well. I wish Flyerify had the search feature!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good job, great brag. It was for sure worth it. WTG!
    sun_shine likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-awesome deals -ahh I wish our walmart matched the "honey bunches of oats " we love that cereal-but we cant do Canada wide at our walmart
    annedougherty and sun_shine like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Nice brag. Can you please tell where are bananas on sale?

Trading Score
    53 (100%)

It totally is worth it!!! I'm scared of what kind of receipt I would see if I didn't price match

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Excellent post!!! Really great prices on food!!! PMing is great as well for saving on time and gas. I especially love those cheap mangoes!!
    sun_shine likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hard work comes before success and I would definitely say savings over 50% are absolute success! Thanks for sharing!
    sun_shine likes this.
    SMILE - and make the world a better place

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That's awesome. I just started price matching (I was getting sick of going to the stores with the deals and the shelves always being empty!) But, I still only pick one or two things with serious discount and matching coupon…at least for now….!
    sun_shine likes this.
    Check out Swagbucks if you haven't already!
    Swagbucks - swagbucks.com/refer/nonprofitjfo

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

awesome! Well worth the time spent
    sun_shine likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Good job! I have PM many times for meat. It is not much different than other products and so much more worth while. I prefer the Superstore's meat so I PM there for meat. The only thing to note there is that when you are PMing meat at RCSS, you take the flyer to the meat counter and they PM the meat and reprint stickers for the meat to adjust the prices before going to the cashier.

Good luck!
    FrugalKris and sun_shine like this.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information