User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree1147Likes

Thread: Time For A Bragging Rules Discussion

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mammalion View Post
    First ly i think it wonderful that you donate so much time and even blood to charity ( high five for that ) I unfortunately can not.......I dont feel that donating my time, effort and gas money to purchase ( coupon) for staples ( food) personal hygene products ( deodarant , soap toothpaste and tooth brushes) or home care items such as dish soap and laundry soap, have any less charitable contribution to yours, and again, text has no tone, but your comments here are the kind that prevent people from being honest. I am handycapped, a 5 tonne truck drove over my car, i am unfortunately not able to work at the age of 43, I do not have alot of money as i can not work, i sometimes have to goto the food bank for assistance, ( should i be ashamed of that as well?) i was raised that you give back in the way you can, no help is ever to little. So please dont condesend to those out here who are trying to help out. Want to know what the board of extras always is out of at the food bank i have had to goto ? personal hygene products ( deodarant , soap toothpaste and tooth brushes) or home care items such as dish soap and laundry soap and toilet paper.

Did i mention i was a very very talented executive before my accident? im not ignorant, stupid nor otherwise.......please dont insult those who are trying to give back in our own way.

Thanks a bunch and happy couponing to you
    I reread what I wrote and I don't see where what I wrote sounds insulting. My opinion is that people shouldn't get 100 toothbrushes for free to get a free shopping high and then donate them because they don't need 100 toothbrushes.

Using coupons to purchase a range of items to donate like you have described is a completely different thing.
    shopperwho likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sooooooooooo much drama. Thinking of not posting anymore just by reading some of the comments. Did we forget why we all started couponing, to save money. and this is coming from a newbie.

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

what's the point of a mod giving an instruction if it's not going to be followed?

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by angel_2011 View Post
    what's the point of a mod giving an instruction if it's not going to be followed?
    And that is exactly why I asked not for names to be named - it is meant to be a general discussion as we have had reports for months - not necessarily because of recent threads.

Quote Originally Posted by sam786 View Post
    Yes but most of people start giving moral lessons.
    you are your own,
    I will do whatever I think it's right,I will not blame others for that.
    I replied no to be against,
    I replied to Anne if I praise some one that you are awesome or you are the queen or king if deals,there is
    nothing wrong with it.
    I speak of my mind,first I don't wanted to say at all,but I thought I should give my opinion to one or 2 comments.
    People are worried about the future of couponing. Once upon a time we had amazing coupons with few restrictions, people misused them for overage, now they have so many restrictions, cashiers are afraid to take them for anything. It is not necessarily a case of moral lessons but worrying that the actions of a few impact us all.

You are entitled to your opinion, in fact I asked people to come out and give their opinion if they felt the opposite so we can have all the opinions before changing rules. However, I know a lot of people disagree with the misuse of coupons and bullying cashiers that has been going on recently and those people are teaching newbies to do the same.

We want to make SC a positive experience for everyone. A newbie who makes their first big couponing trip only to have a cashier point out they are doing it all wrong means they will likely give up too.

And you can certainly make your point without mentioning specific users, if rules are changed, I do not want people saying oh it is xyz's fault because they are mentioned in the thread. Momi is not the only person to have her thread replied to asking, there are plenty of brags that have been modded.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Oh...I'm sooo freaking scared ...I'm shaking in my flippers.........
    NAh...I hve ISP address tracking software.. I know who both of you are.....
    Name:  69.gif
Views: 291
Size:  2.1 KB
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

I really haven't seen many brags where coupons have been misused or 100's of items have been gotten for free.
    Things looked great until the gift card post and I'm now reading that more and more of the brags are coupon misuse and people are just holding their tongue and not commenting. I'm thankful for those who are brave enough to comment if they see misuse. I enjoy getting a good deal but I want to do it with a clear conscience. I hope those who post brags don't let any of this make them stop. It's a learning experience of all of us and I really appreciate those keen eyes that see deals that I pass up. Please keep sharing your awesome brags.
    The best things in life...aren't things

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (86%)

I will use a simply illustration of something that happened today, right here in the forum ( different thread) to show you what is wrong in part with the forums in general. I put up a post yesturday about a coupon BOOKlet i found at superstore here is the link
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/386723-...a/#post5992166 after posting a few people posted nice thank you comments and then ...... it started, the people who dont read what a person types properly. One got on my the other protected me and however unfortunatley in their own way got on me, and both were WRONG. Read it for yourself, and see what is wrong with this or any forum for that matter. People need to actually read what others post prior to commenting.

D
    sam786 and momi like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I will use a simply illustration of something that happened today, right here in the forum ( different thread) to show you what is wrong in part with the forums in general. I put up a post yesturday about a coupon BOOKlet i found at superstore here is the link
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/386723-...a/#post5992166 after posting a few people posted nice thank you comments and then ...... it started, the people who dont read what a person types properly. One got on my the other protected me and however unfortunatley in their own way got on me, and both were WRONG. Read it for yourself, and see what is wrong with this or any forum for that matter. People need to actually read what others post prior to commenting.

D
    I read your post and all the comments. How I interpreted the posts were that a user was upset you took so many booklets. Most pictures are of one booklet but the very last picture shows a stack of booklets in the background (right hand side, under the main coupon booklet). If those extra booklets weren't visible, I doubt you would have received the comments.

I'm not saying they were right, I'm just saying why I feel they posted what they did to help clarify the situation.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    TooCouponCrazy and BCcheapMom like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

D
    I think they were referring to the fact you can see a stack of them under the booklet in one of your pictures, not misunderstanding you but regardless it should not be said. However rather than anyone replying to them or protecting you, the report button should be hit and a mod will take care of it. (couponlady is on vacation so please be patient when reporting stuff)

If you don't know how to report, it is the ! button under the person's name on the post (ignore the dark parts, I covered over the mod options)
    Name:  report a post.PNG
Views: 254
Size:  9.2 KB

It makes it harder for us to clean up a thread if we have to go through and find where it is quoted etc too
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

D
    I think you should look at the 3rd picture you posted. This may be the cause of some confusion.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (86%)

ok i conceed the fact that there are a few more booklets in the third pic, does look funky but , as i have tried to explain and will do so again, they are my daughters ( 4 daughters) my neighbour and my best friend, it was couponing night were we all get together and compare notes and share what we have found, and Faith my daughter thought it would be nice to put it out there that there was a nice new booklet. They are also a quad fold booklet and that makes it look like there are more than there really are. ugg see that is what i dont like, plain and simple.

D
    FallenPixels, sam786, momi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I think Coupon Girl's brags are great models. She posts brags about real groceries or clothing, not just one offs.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Please do not mention any members by name in this thread (positively or negatively). I don't want it to turn into a case of specific posts coming down to rule changes.
    When coupon girl was appreciated that is why I mentioned momi's posts.
    her posts were very helpful with the pic of receipt and detailed description.
    sorry I didn't know that it's not allowed
    ROMEO and momi like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Posting it elsewhere is, posting names here after a mod asked you not to is not

I didn't ask just because of momi, I don't want anyone's brags being put down in this thread nor do I want people posting ""oh xyz's brags are the best" bc that makes people feel that theirs are not worth posting
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I already did apologized and mentioned that I didn't know that it's not allowed.
    ROMEO and momi like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

[/QUOTE]People are worried about the future of couponing. Once upon a time we had amazing coupons with few restrictions, people misused them for overage, now they have so many restrictions, cashiers are afraid to take them for anything. It is not necessarily a case of moral lessons but worrying that the actions of a few impact us all.[/QUOTE]

I apologize in advance, but I had to smirk and roll my eyes at this comment. The darn things rolled out and fell on the floor and it took me 10 minutes to find them and put them back in their sockets.

Smartcanucks is certainly a great place and a popular forum, but I don't think multi-billion-dollar corporations are making marketing decisions based solely on it. If that was the case it might be simpler to just buy it and shut it down....

Couponing survived the printable Ocean Spray coupon.
    Couponing survived the printable Aspirin coupon.
    Couponing survived the Zantac coupon, Tena coupon, and the recent $4 Sunlight coupon, and countless high value coupons before and after.

The store always has final say on acceptance, regardless of the type of coupon. Not a website or anybody who is associated with it or posts on it.

It's the sense of entitlement of the general shopping public that tends to irk me the most - the fact that some people feel they should get the same deals without doing the work. As an example, I was at SDM on a recent 3 hour, B1G1 vitamin deal that was emailed out. You had to print off the coupon and bring it with you.

A senior-looking lady saw someone in line ahead of her getting the deal and she immediately threw a fuss demanding she get the same deal. Even though she didn't have the coupon.

She went to the manager, complained, etc.... People acting like this is what makes it harder for the actual people who put the work in and plan their shopping accordingly.

Forget about shelf-clearing, I could care less.

What really makes me cringe is posters feeling the need to justify what they bought by saying they're keeping some and donating the rest. Or they're shopping for a larger number or people, or whatever.
    What you do is your business. You put the work in, you got to the store at 7AM and scored a great deal. Enjoy it and continue on. The rest of the people who got there three days later and nothing was left......well

Granted, things can look absolutely apocalyptic sometimes - people lining up for 99 cent a pound turkeys, buck a pound side ribs, etc. Certainly there are some desperate-looking times out there.

But the fact that these things are happening means that stores still need to put deals on for the general public, and the general public will line up. Hopefully, the savvy couponer can offset those spotty deals by consistently saving.

Regardless, I am thankful for posters that give a heads up to unadvertised deals, or regional brags that don't happen in certain areas. Kinda miss those crazy London Drugs stacking brags from years ago. Didn't apply to my area, but fun to look at nonetheless.

And as far as the future of couponing, there's still some crazy deals to be had out there. SDM sent me some cookie coupons recently that resulted in free cookies. In the past it was free cereal, really cheap cheese, etc. The SDM email and mailout coupons certainly wouldn't exist if things were really that bad out there.

Aggressive moves in industry by SDM, for example, or Wal-Mart expanding grocery selections, can only drive good things for couponers. Highs and lows in the economy / buying cycles will always determine number / value of coupons available rather than 5 posters who abused the wording in a coupon description.

Amazing shops will continue to happen. Whether brags will continue is up for debate.

As far as the current system, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to post a brag. Even if someone presents the coupon right someone is gonna find fault with the amount, what you did with it, what angle was the sun at 1:19PM on that day and did the cashier get the sun in her eyes and neglect to mention it was one per customer and not one per purchase and you're gonna ruin it for everyone.....

I mean, c'mon, there was even a thread on this forum a couple of years ago with a poll to get eBay to disallow the sale of coupons. Some even said they would NEVER consider buying a coupon when trading was around. And then you had people posting brags about buying multiple items and people asking where they got so many coupons. And so it continues....

Probably brags would have to be a type of sticky without option for commenting, both good or bad. Otherwise brags will probably continue to decline.

So if you're sitting down right now looking at a pile of stuff that you got for next to nothing, good on you.

If you've got 100 free bags of Sunlight pods that cost you nothing and you sold half and made money on the deal, I salute you. Even better if you really worked to get those extras and were at the store early AM and cleared the shelf.

Unfortunately, some wouldn't salute you, and that could include either the poster or admin community of Smartcanucks....

And that's why as many people don't post brags anymore.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

totally agree.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information