User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree1147Likes

Thread: Time For A Bragging Rules Discussion

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ericaraina View Post
    I believe that if someone intentionally misused a coupon, they probably wouldn't brag about their crime! I always believe them to be genuine errors. I myself have made mistakes before. If the couponer and the cashier both understood a coupon in the same way, it was likely confused wording.

I think that there should be a positive comments only rule.

Making note of misuse should be for the purpose of the readers, not to hassle the OP.

And, I think that the brag section could be a little friendlier towards shelf clearers. If I have 100 coupons for 100 free products, and I know I can use them, or give them to people who can, them Im gonna clear!!!! If the store has a problem with that, they will stop me. Otherwise, I'm not breaking any rules.
    From what I have seen over the years it's the opposite. You would think people would keep certain things to themselves lol, but they seem to post it here for some kind of adoration?...and then claim they are being attacked at the drop of a hat.

And like others have said, the "well they allowed it, so it's okay" reasoning isn't solid. If I wanted to I could probably go out today and use dozens of expired coupons. The cashier accepts my coupons. Did she allow it? Or did she just not notice? Huge difference.

Also when you say well they allowed it, no one was there to see how loudly voices were raised, or how many threats to call head office were made, etc, etc ,etc.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Its upsetting to me when people clear the shelves and get "100 of the same item free" and the reason for this is because it ruins it for the rest of us. IMO thats also considered misuse of a coupon. Many companies have changed the wording on their coupons so this abuse can't happen anymore. Most recently the 1.00 of any Reach toothbrush..now it states that it excludes the crystal clean brushes and they are typically the ones on sale for 1.00. P&G changed the wording on the toothpaste ones to exclude the ones that are typically on sale for 1.00. It ruins it for everyone and I honestly find it greedy. I don't comment negatively on those type of brag posts or anything but I know that all it does is change the couponing world for the worse.

Teachers Have Class
    Trading Score
    520 (100%)

If you look at the bragging section, you'll notice that there are far fewer individual brag threads posted than there used to be. (I've been a member of SC for 5 years.) In my opinion, it's the comments that are responsible for this. Personally, I no longer post separate brags. (Yes, I'm one of those "sensitive" people who prefers not to take a chance on being the "target" of another member's critical judgement.)

Instead, on occasion, I'll post here: WHAT is YOUR best deal this week?????
    If someone approves or finds my post helpful, they may choose to add a "like". If not, they'll simply move on to the next post in the thread. It's a low-risk method of sharing a good deal that others may benefit from.

Just out of curiosity, for those who have commented thus far in this thread, when was the last time YOU PERSONALLY posted a new thread in the brag section? And then ask yourself why or why not. And, if it would be possible to positively define and regulate a "bragging rules policy", would it change how often you post an individual brag?

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

I can't seem to think if I've ever posted a brag, and the reasoning behind it is not because I'm afraid of the comments or sensitive to comments... if that was the case, I would not be posting my opinion on anything at all in the forum... only reason i don't post brags is because I'm lazy..

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

also, i don't mind if ppl brag about purchasing 10, 20 or 100 of a product - i do not know their financial or family situation, so i am not going to judge them on the qty they purchase.

However, a post on pg 2 (most of u know which one i'm referring to), really made me cringe and smh because those are the type of brags i don't think should be allowed & is basically the reason why couponing is getting so difficult.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I question posting my brags on these forums anymore as well. Shortly after I officially joined, I used to post deals I would find quite often. But, very quickly, the odd person who feels they must try and correct me, would post that the coupon I used was not a coupon and should not have been used. It was in fact a coupon. I even went so far as to scan it and post it to prove it- which I should not have to do. But if I am being accused of wrong doing on a public board you can be sure I will take it personally and defend myself. I don't think people are being overly sensitive. I think they should feel good about posting their great finds without fear of a negative backlash. Just my opinion.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lotsasavings View Post
    If you look at the bragging section, you'll notice that there are far fewer individual brag threads posted than there used to be. (I've been a member of SC for 5 years.) In my opinion, it's the comments that are responsible for this. Personally, I no longer post separate brags. (Yes, I'm one of those "sensitive" people who prefers not to take a chance on being the "target" of another member's critical judgement.)

If someone approves or finds my post helpful, they may choose to add a "like". If not, they'll simply move on to the next post in the thread. It's a low-risk method of sharing a good deal that others may benefit from.

Just out of curiosity, for those who have commented thus far in this thread, when was the last time YOU PERSONALLY posted a new thread in the brag section? And then ask yourself why or why not. And, if it would be possible to positively define and regulate a "bragging rules policy", would it change how often you post an individual brag?
    In my opinion, it's not the comments that lead to fewer brags. It's the feeling that unless you are "beating the system," or getting everything free, or making money on your whole purchase, that no one cares.

When someone posts a brag that several people find questionable, and yet people are posting things like, wow, i wish i could be like you, and omg, you are the queen/king of whatever...how do think that makes people feel, those who are more inclined to post regular brags?

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by angel_2011 View Post
    I can't seem to think if I've ever posted a brag, and the reasoning behind it is not because I'm afraid of the comments or sensitive to comments... if that was the case, I would not be posting my opinion on anything at all in the forum... only reason i don't post brags is because I'm lazy..
    Me too!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCouponCrazy View Post
    I question posting my brags on these forums anymore as well. Shortly after I officially joined, I used to post deals I would find quite often. But, very quickly, the odd person who feels they must try and correct me, would post that the coupon I used was not a coupon and should not have been used. It was in fact a coupon. I even went so far as to scan it and post it to prove it- which I should not have to do. But if I am being accused of wrong doing on a public board you can be sure I will take it personally and defend myself. I don't think people are being overly sensitive. I think they should feel good about posting their great finds without fear of a negative backlash. Just my opinion.
    The people who i'm referring to as being sensitive are those who take offense to any comment that is not positive.Obviously, People who are right out rude, accusatory, etc should not be allowed to post such comments and I don't think that those who get offended by those comments are being overly sensitive.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (86%)

TBH for me its the Drama associated with alot of the posts i have read, positive , negative, everyone always has something to say and well lets face it people are rude. I came to this forum for nice friendly advice and sharing that is all. I came to contribute something positive. Dont clear the shelves, Dont hord, Dont cheat or steel, and hey have fun

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

About the misuse issue...some coupons are unclear and up to interpretation. This may be one reason why people are so quick to judge and point to misuse. I personally think it's the manufacturer's responsibility to clearly state what the coupon is for and any exceptions. We have seen changes in the small print of many coupons lately - likely owing to people innocently misusing coupons. I shouldn't have to call H.O for clarification every time I want to use a coupon (and trust me, I have made several calls to ensure proper coupon use). I have been couponing for several years now and am still learning, so I can only imagine how newbies must feel.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Quote Originally Posted by lotsasavings View Post

There are 7 walmarts in my close proximity, I dont post brags about product i have gotten for free because most people would not read the reciepts to see that i actually amassed a quantity by going to 7 stores and being reasonable with my purchase in each store. I also shop for 5 families and any of my overage ( product s in large quantities) that are left over go to the food bank. But to try to explain this to people on a regular basis is just not worth it to me, so i stay quiet and dont post brags about what i have purchased and in what quantities. I post brags about finding free plants for my garden in superstores dumpster, or a pigeon i was rehabing flying off with his mate, or two baby crows i am fostering that fell out of their nests in a school yard and children were torturing. But hey that s just me

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I personally miss the "Thumbs DOWN" option. I know why it was taken away but I found that all it took was more "Thumbs downs" than "Thumbs up" for people to question the validity of the brag and decide whether they want to try to receive the same results. Is it negative? Yes, but that's life. It was a quick way for a lot of users to judge the threads validity (not just in brags but in contests/freebies, etc).

I personally don't post brags because it's just not in my personality. Sometimes I post in the "What's Your Best Deal" thread, not because of fear or anything but because I feel like my mini brag isn't worthy of a full thread dedicated to my little savings/accomplishment.

I like brags that are attainable for the masses. Deals that are possible to emulate. Deals that are legit. Those are my favourite!

In regards to people posting anything that doesn't fall along the lines of: "Wow", "WTG", "You're Awesome", I think it's totally fair AS LONG AS it's done in a mature polite manner. It seems like the minute someone questions a brag they are being negative, which seems strange to me. There is a concept of constructive criticism. Now if someone is rude or name calling, then that's a whole different story but if there is a polite disagreement (in whatever - be it coupon use, ethics, etc) then I find it fair. People have different opinions/ethics/viewpoints and should be free to state them in a polite mature manner.

We all know coupon errors happen. I've done it and it's been pointed out to me! Did I get upset or take it personally? No, I know it's not a personal assault. It was simply a heads up. I APPRECIATED IT!

Having said that I've also never bought loads of a product or blatantly tried to bend the rules to my advantage. I just don't feel that's what an ethical couponer does. MY OPINION. I am entitled to it, just as someone who has done that is ENTITLED to their opinion.

For me the main issue is being mature, respectful, polite adults. Treat people the way you wish to be treated.
    Lori, strew, Crochetlady and 15 others like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Reading all these thoughtful and respectful comments has helped me understand everyone's position better.

I just wanted to mention that while I am "supporting" the SCers that stretch the rules, or request permission specifically, etc., I personally do not try to replicate them. I just do not like reading negative comments regarding them. I actually do not like reading negative comments even when I also disagree with the OP. Each couponer makes their own decisions for themselves, and when posts contradict the OP's deal, I find it just changes the tone of this board, rather than serving as an educational tool.

As a Newbie, I still believe we ultimately form our own set of rules for ourselves, regardless of what others are doing. I just don't want the board to become a nasty environment, because understandings and escalations happen quickly when we are not face to face.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information