User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By mulock
  • 2 Post By lecale
  • 1 Post By FallenPixels
  • 2 Post By Mia001
  • 1 Post By xlxo
  • 1 Post By lecale

Thread: Where are canada's highest & lowest milk prices?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

This article was an email newsletter from Field Agent but I thought I would repost it here because I thought it was interesting!

WHERE ARE CANADA'S HIGHEST & LOWEST MILK PRICES?
    Field Agent Canada conducted a cross-country price survey on fluid milk prices at 175 retailers in 17 markets from coast-to-coast between September 30 and October 2, 2014. The survey uncovered some huge differences in the price Canadians are paying for one of the most basic grocery items - 2% Milk.

“We were shocked to see a 100% difference in the average price per litre of 2% milk between the least expensive and most expensive markets in Canada” says Jeff Doucette, General Manager of Field Agent Canada.

The least expensive city to purchase milk in Canada is Scarborough, Ontario. “This is driven by large Ontario market and the high level of discounter competition in this market.” said Doucette.

The most expensive city to purchase milk in Canada was St. John’s, Newfoundland. “To see that Newfoundlanders are paying double the average price per litre for 2% milk vs. Scarborough made us think there was a mistake in the data - but it was real.” exclaimed Doucette. “A small, closed milk market, lower levels of competition at both the retailer and manufacturer level and the use of smaller 2L containers vs. 4L containers in the rest of Canada are hitting Newfoundlanders in the pocket book.”

In fact, all four Atlantic provinces are paying the high prices for 2% milk with prices being 25 - 51% higher than the Canadian average.

Surprisingly, the relatively large market of Quebec (and the home of the two largest dairy manufacturers - Agropur & Saputo) has prices that are 31% higher than the Canadian average.

Where is the cheapest overall milk in Canada? If you live in Windsor, Ontario you are in luck. Both Costco and No Frills have the cheapest 4L 2% milk in the country at $3.65 a unit.

“It really seems like the provincial supply management and trade barriers are causing consumers to pay more to subsidize the profits of small or inefficient producers, manufacturers and distributors.” stated Doucette. “There really seems to be some potential for a national milk strategy to make our industry more competitive and give consumers a break at the cash register.”
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, No Frills

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

$5.47 for 4L here in Halifax....and I got through 8 litres a week just myself (I don't drink pop, water, juice, alcohol.....just milk).
    sweetmomma likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That was quite interesting....thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by GatineauGirl; Thu, Oct 9th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So interesting, I would have thought the highest prices would be in the three territories.

We really only need to buy 2L of milk, but 4L isn't much more in price, so we buy the 4L and hope we use at least most of it before it goes bad.

We only buy Dairyland brand - don't mind Lucerne if in a pinch.
    Usually buy at SDM - can't remember exact price, usually around $4.50/4L

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
    sweetmomma and Mags like this.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

$6.19 here for 4L.
    I am in NS .
    The best price I can get is $5.59 when it goes on sale at SDM.
    The sad part is , we can't even price match because we don't get the same brand name milk as Ont or Quebec.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

$3.65 at Box or $3.97 if I am doing 20x at SDM or get an offer for it
    sweetmomma likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

we always buy our milk by 2 L , i know it's more than $400

my mom use UHT milk , Grand Pré ( only by 1 L ), and i'm always in shock when i see the difference between Malmart and Métro, i bought 1 L today at Métro $3.39 .....most of the time it is $2.00 at Walmart and + i use the 75¢ coupons i find on their site

Off topic = i also noticed how the eggs' price got up since last year....and the bread ....and pretty much every thing....
    scbpooh and sweetmomma like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

I buy a 4l 2% at Walmart and its $4.54. Eggs I dont buy unless its on sale and thats about $2.29 (hell i remember not too long ago when a sale was .99c) and bread, not 100% sure. I like buying at Costco and I pay $5.99 pkg of 3, it really seems to pend on the brand you buy. chaep stuff for $2.50ish or something like Wonderbread that close to $3.50ish
    Last edited by scbpooh; Mon, Oct 6th, 2014 at 07:55 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did some searching and found the study details here....
    http://fieldagentcanada.com/wp-conte...ilk-Report.pdf

Some thoughts...
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
    FallenPixels likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I don't think I normally pay more than $5.99 at Sobeys in Halifax for a four litre carton. Fortunately we don't drink much. DH and I only put it in coffee, DS is the only member of our family who will actually drink a glass of milk. I'm pretty sure milk price is regulated here, which leads to us paying more than most.

Thread Information