User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Tue. Nov. 11: Remembrance Day 2014

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

On November 11, remember them

They are our grandfathers, brothers, mothers and sisters, neighbours ... heroes.

Canada’s Veterans - their courage, service and sacrifices have kept us strong, proud and free.

So much information on this site:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance

-
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Natalka; Tue, Nov 11th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Legion Announces Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother for 2014-15

Tom Eagles, Dominion President of The Royal Canadian Legion, announced Mrs. Gisèle Michaud as the National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother for 2014-2015 earlier today here at Dominion Command. Mrs. Michaud lost her youngest son, Master Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud, after he was mortally wounded after stepping on an improvised explosive device while on patrol in the Panjwayi District, southwest of Kandahar City, Afghanistan on June 23rd, 2009. He was transported to a Quebec City hospital on June 28th, 2009 and passed away on July 4th, of that same year.

Mrs. Michaud lives in Edmundston, New Brunswick. She is the 5th mother from New Brunswick to be named as the National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother since the Legion began this tradition more than sixty years ago.

As the National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother, Mrs. Michaud will lay a wreath at the National War Memorial on 11 November 2014 on behalf of all Canadian mothers who have lost a son or a daughter in the military either in action or in the course of his/her normal duty. Throughout the year she will also be called upon to perform other duties honouring the Fallen from all conflicts.

The Memorial (Silver) Cross was instituted on December 1, 1919 and was issued as a memento of personal loss and sacrifices on behalf of all widows and mothers who lost a child while on active duty in the service of their nation or whose death was consequently attributed to such duty.

Every year, Legion provincial commands and individuals forward nominations for the selection of a National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother. These nominations are reviewed by a selection committee at Dominion Command and one mother is chosen for the year which begins on 01 November until the following year.

Master Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud

Master Corporal Michaud was mortally wounded after stepping on an improvised explosive device while on patrol in the Panjwayi District, southwest of Kandahar City, Afghanistan on June 23rd, 2009. He was transported to a Quebec City hospital on June 28th, 2009 and passed away on July 4th, of that same year.

He was a member of the 2nd Battalion Royal 22nd Regiment based out of Valcartier, Québec. Born in 1981, he joined the Canadian Armed Forces in 2000. He served in Bosnia in 2002, receiving the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Medal for Kosovo, and in Lithuania in 2003, receiving the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal.

Master Corporal Michaud served two tours in Afghanistan. He first served in Kabul in 2004, receiving the General Campaign Star-International Security Assistance Force. Master Corporal Michaud arrived in Kandahar for his second tour of duty in April 2009. He was 28 years old and the 122nd fallen soldier from Canada’s mission in Afghanistan.

Called Chuck by his friends, Master Corporal Michaud dreamed of being a soldier throughout his youth. He is remembered as a mentor to his fellow troops and a model soldier. He was an avid hockey player and loved playing guitar and the saxophone.

http://www.legion.ca/article/legion-...r-for-2014-15/

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My Dad
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by walkonby; Thu, Nov 6th, 2014 at 09:39 AM.

babies teach us acceptance

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

As President of our Ladies Activity Group, it is my great honour and privilidge again to be a wreath presenter at the Cenotaph of our town. On Saturday, the Royal Canadian Legion will be holding their parade and ceremony. This year, because of what happened in St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu and Ottawa, this ceremony is extremely meaningful. (St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu is very close to home, 10 minutes by car) Unfortunately, the Cadets will not be participating this year, which is quite understandable.

Take time to remember and honour all the military, past and present, who sacrificed so much so that we can enjoy the liberties that we take for granted.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Strong, Proud & Free

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Why Wear a Poppy Poem by Don Crawford

“Please wear a Poppy”, the lady said and held one forth, but I shook my head, Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there, And her face was old and lined with care; But beneath the scars the years had made There remained a smile that refused to fade.
    A boy came whistling down the street, Bouncing along on carefree feet, His smile was full of joy and fun: “Lady”, said he, “May I have one”? When she pinned it on he turned to say, “Why do we wear a poppy today”?
    The lady smiled in her wistful way, And answered, “This is Remembrance Day, And the poppy there is a symbol forThe gallant men who died in war, And because they did, you and I are free, That’s why we wear the poppy, you see”.
    I had a boy about your size, With golden hair and big blue eyes. He loved to play and jump and shout, Free as a bird he would race about. As the years went by he learned and grew, And became a man – as you will, too.
    But the war went on and he had to stay, And all I could do was wait and pray. His letters told of the awful fight, (I can see it still in my dreams at night) With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire, and the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.
    “Till at last, at last, the war was won – And that’s why we wear a poppy, son.” The small boy turned as if to go, Then said, “Thanks lady, I’m glad to know, That sure did sound like an awful fight, But your son – did he come back all right?”
    A tear rolled down each faded cheek: She shook her head but didn’t speak. I slunk away in a sort of shame, And if you were me you’d have done the same: For our thanks, in giving, is often delayed Through our freedom was boughtAnd thousands paid.
    And so when we see a poppy worn, Let us reflect on the burden borne, By those who gave their very all, When asked to answer their country’s call. That we at home in peace might live.
    Then wear a poppy, RememberAnd give. Don Crawford
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Nov 6th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

My thanks to those on SC who served our country well.
    Given the incidents in Quebec and Ottawa, this year will be different on November 11th.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

this year, the tower of london has been transformed into a sea of poppie:

here is a link to more information;:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29965477

making the poppies:
    Skippy, Lynn49, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Record sales of over 19 million poppies this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ages-1.2826988

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's sad to think that the recent murders of those two soldiers had to serve as reminders of how brave all those men and women are, who throw themselves into the line of fire to protect us. Bless them all.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Yesterday, at our Remembrance Day ceremony, there seemed to be less people in attendance. Lots of organizations were absent, for example, the girl Guides, Scouts, etc. But there was a larger presence of police. The ceremony went without incidence. Fear. We cannot live our lives in fear because this is what the terrorists want. I thanked the police officers for their presence yesterday.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a drug store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the stores PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the stores leadership role in adopting the Legions two minutes of silence initiative. He felt that the stores contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven oclock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the two minutes of silence to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terrys anger towards the father for trying to engage the stores clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, A Pittance of Time.

Skippy and TooCouponCrazy like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Skippy and TooCouponCrazy like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information