User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Getting rid of cable...?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hmmm there is something to be said for just lying on the couch and ing through channels and looking for something to watch. It doesn't work that way with netflix. Maybe I'm crazy but I actually like commercials because I use those as a chance to go get something from the kitchen or go to the bathroom. I guess I could just pause the tv but it's not the same...

We had cable when I was a kid but my parents cancelled it in the late 90s because they said it had got too expensive. So during my teens we only had the local stations we could get with an antenna. Then when I moved out on my own I never got cable because it was too expensive. It's not that I couldn't afford it, I was just cheap and didn't think that $40/month for basic cable on a contract was fair. So I just watched over-the-air tv with my antenna, and two years ago I got Netflix.

I've been thinking of signing up with vmedia, they provide fairly cheap cable packages and have cheap theme pack addons.

Also there is this article that says by March 2016 the cable companies must all provide a basic cable package for a max of $25/month: http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...e-package.html
    dededi likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Likewise....your wallet / purse appreciate it too. I watch selective shows and movies online from a particular site that has a wicked quality, no lagging, commercials removed from the shows.

People can also get an Android box that is already setup to stream shows and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    This morning I was thinking about how I don't follow any shows anymore... and I don't miss it a bit!

the thought of following a schedule to catch the latest episode of a show doesn't entice me anymore. You totally get used to being freed from a TV schedule. I don't even netflix or watch online. nothing, nada, zilch, I feel liberated lol.
    kava5, Candini and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had one of those android boxes, they're too finicky. Streams work one day and stop working another day and then you have to hunt for good streams, it's too much work. Boxes supported by big companeis like roku and apple tv and amazon fire are good, but those chinese android boxes are more trouble than they're worth.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Depends which box you get, how much RAM, and which streams you are using.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I hate TV. My condo comes with basic cable and I buy Netflix. Even that I rarely watch.
    Bundles are a pain, I don't use a house phone, all I need is unlimited internet and I'm a happy girl
    Cellphone is seperate company (iPhone, $33.90 a month)

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With your unlimited internet, you can have home phone for less than $5 / month with OOma.

Your iPhone, that isn't the latest 6 or 6S?

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    I hate TV. My condo comes with basic cable and I buy Netflix. Even that I rarely watch.
    Bundles are a pain, I don't use a house phone, all I need is unlimited internet and I'm a happy girl
    Cellphone is seperate company (iPhone, $33.90 a month)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    This morning I was thinking about how I don't follow any shows anymore... and I don't miss it a bit!

the thought of following a schedule to catch the latest episode of a show doesn't entice me anymore. You totally get used to being freed from a TV schedule. I don't even netflix or watch online. nothing, nada, zilch, I feel liberated lol.
    Same here. The days of watching/following The Mentalist, CSI, Criminal Minds etc are long over. I find I'm more into series now such as Game of Thrones, House of Cards type shows but only when the season is over and I can watch it all at one go , preferably via DVD where I can pause at will.
    Ciel, GoJays and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get rid of cable since 10 years.! watch favorite on internet.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are even indoor antennas you can get UHF/VHF in HD that can pick up a few channels, if you are not in the boonies / boondocks. Close proximity to transmitters help
    Ciel likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I had one of those android boxes, they're too finicky. Streams work one day and stop working another day and then you have to hunt for good streams, it's too much work. Boxes supported by big companeis like roku and apple tv and amazon fire are good, but those chinese android boxes are more trouble than they're worth.
    I found that internet provider speeds and wifi connections makes a huge difference.

Some say 5Mbps is enough... but I found 25Mbps or higher is better. While wifi works..... Powerline ethernet was more reliable for me. Use this link to assess your speeds...
    http://vancouver.speedtest.telus.com/

If you don't want a box..... check out Kodi on your computer. A lot of these Android boxes are running a variant of Kodi anyways. Some say Kodi is a Netflix killer.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)

If the Android box menus look like this.... it's Kodi.
    Name:  300px-Main_Screen_Confluence_14.1.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  8.1 KB
    Last edited by xlxo; Tue, Oct 27th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yup, 50 Mbps and a high quality wifi router running tomato. Netflix has always worked fine for me (even back when I was on 6 mbps dsl) so the problem was with the streams, they expire eventually and then no longer work, then you gotta hunt down where the new streams are, too much work when you just want to watch tv. Kodi is fine on a PC but in my opinion it's not really suitable for when you're on the couch trying to watch your tv because the user interface is designed for a mouse/keyboard so it takes too much effort with a remote before you can find what you're looking for. I suppose if you set up a mouse and keyboard to work with your tv it might be a bit faster but I'd prefer to just use a remote with an interface that's designed for remotes.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We have basic cable. We previously paid for some extra chanles, but the content became old and limited. We already watch some programs online for free. We are talking about getting rid of our cable. I'm working on reading threw the replies in this thread.
    Ciel, Candini, frugal50 and 1 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One you do, you won't look back. Narrow down what you watch, they find a good source online that has it. The site I use has all the shows listed by episodes, and you have a number of sources to stream from in different formats and quality

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    We have basic cable. We previously paid for some extra chanles, but the content became old and limited. We already watch some programs online for free. We are talking about getting rid of our cable. I'm working on reading threw the replies in this thread.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    With your unlimited internet, you can have home phone for less than $5 / month with OOma.

Your iPhone, that isn't the latest 6 or 6S?
    Good to know.
    It's not but when I first got it, it was a great deal. With koodo, I have the lowest package its all I need
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yup, 50 Mbps and a high quality wifi router running tomato. Netflix has always worked fine for me (even back when I was on 6 mbps dsl) so the problem was with the streams, they expire eventually and then no longer work, then you gotta hunt down where the new streams are, too much work when you just want to watch tv. Kodi is fine on a PC but in my opinion it's not really suitable for when you're on the couch trying to watch your tv because the user interface is designed for a mouse/keyboard so it takes too much effort with a remote before you can find what you're looking for. I suppose if you set up a mouse and keyboard to work with your tv it might be a bit faster but I'd prefer to just use a remote with an interface that's designed for remotes.
    I've got an app on my phone that's a Kodi remote. Kore. It's awesome
    Ciel likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information