User Tag List

Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

[QUOTE=LisaLisaBoBisa;6303086]The rumors started 20 years ago? Well according to my own mother who was employed for 30+ years zellers took over from towers on April 1, 1990 - so not sure how there could be 20 years of rumours of yet another brand takeover. "

Well I guess your mom never heard those rumors then.
    SillyLoocie likes this.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I'm not entirely sure what your issue is - but let's be VERY clear.. It was a buyout.. Who else would there be to "blame"? Do you want us all to pretend that target buyout was not the reason for Zellers closing to protect your sensibilities? Maybe the others will do that - not me..
    Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    ...and I see we are back to blaming Target for the loss of Zellers jobs. lmao
    SillyLoocie likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone know when the next wave of reduction begins? (over 30%)?
    - lilsmithy -

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilsmithy View Post
    Does anyone know when the next wave of reduction begins? (over 30%)?
    No, no one knows.
    SillyLoocie likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

TBH: I don't ever remember any mention of target from her other than to say that there was a U.S. counterpart in terms of store stock etc.. Not only did they force employees to stay until the end of liquidation by threatening their payout - many employees had already been working with NO employee discount as it was discontinued unless you were charging your purchase and many didn't have an HBC credit card so weren't even getting their employee discount.. I remember them all asking me about the lou lou 10% card so they could use that as they weren't getting anything.. They also capped their severance so that if you were entitled to more than 16 weeks (which she was) you wouldn't get it.. It was a complete nightmare and Target employees should consider themselves lucky - .. With all the major job losses in Canada getting 10+ weeks more than entitled to is a pretty good deal -

[QUOTE=Patty Smyth;6303114]
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    The rumors started 20 years ago? Well according to my own mother who was employed for 30+ years zellers took over from towers on April 1, 1990 - so not sure how there could be 20 years of rumours of yet another brand takeover. "

Well I guess your mom never heard those rumors then.
    SillyLoocie likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

[QUOTE=LisaLisaBoBisa;6303128]TBH: I don't ever remember any mention of target from her other than to say that there was a U.S. counterpart in terms of store stock etc.. Not only did they force employees to stay until the end of liquidation by threatening their payout - many employees had already been working with NO employee discount as it was discontinued unless you were charging your purchase and many didn't have an HBC credit card so weren't even getting their employee discount.. I remember them all asking me about the lou lou 10% card so they could use that as they weren't getting anything.. They also capped their severance so that if you were entitled to more than 16 weeks (which she was) you wouldn't get it.. It was a complete nightmare and Target employees should consider themselves lucky - .. With all the major job losses in Canada getting 10+ weeks more than entitled to is a pretty good deal -

You understand the Target severance is not a 16 week payout?
    hijinx25 likes this.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Only was was initially reported on news - haven't delved in to it any more than that.. News said employess were getting 16 weeks each - which is much more than law requires -

[QUOTE=annedougherty;6303132]
    TBH: I don't ever remember any mention of target from her other than to say that there was a U.S. counterpart in terms of store stock etc.. Not only did they force employees to stay until the end of liquidation by threatening their payout - many employees had already been working with NO employee discount as it was discontinued unless you were charging your purchase and many didn't have an HBC credit card so weren't even getting their employee discount.. I remember them all asking me about the lou lou 10% card so they could use that as they weren't getting anything.. They also capped their severance so that if you were entitled to more than 16 weeks (which she was) you wouldn't get it.. It was a complete nightmare and Target employees should consider themselves lucky - .. With all the major job losses in Canada getting 10+ weeks more than entitled to is a pretty good deal -

You understand the Target severance is not a 16 week payout?

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

[QUOTE=LisaLisaBoBisa;6303135]Only was was initially reported on news - haven't delved in to it any more than that.. News said employess were getting 16 weeks each - which is much more than law requires -

It is 16 weeks working notice. If you work until May 16th, you get the pleasure of getting paid for it. That is the "severance." If one is deemed unnecessary prior to that, they will continue to be paid until May 16th. No one knows if or when that will happen.
    LisaLisaBoBisa and hijinx25 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As it's been said many times...Zellers would have closed anyway. Do you think it was some sort of hostile takeover and HBC said "ok take them"? HBC wanted to drop their failing brand. Where were all these people who were saying how great Zellers was when their stores were just as empty as Target was but dirtier and without customer service? Now I know my grandma doesn't use a computer, so who else was shopping there? Especially in the bigger metro areas? If Target didn't buy the leases, another company or many companies would have. Target just bought out the leases not the business.

If you want to shop at Zellers, there are still a few open, still owned and operated by HBC. There is one in Surrey/White Rock for instance. But I'll warn you, it's not the 80's/early 90's there anymore.

I'm not entirely sure what your issue is - but let's be VERY clear.. It was a buyout.. Who else would there be to "blame"? Do you want us all to pretend that target buyout was not the reason for Zellers closing to protect your sensibilities? Maybe the others will do that - not me..

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Target Canada CEO who took off with $ 61 million USD golden handsake leaving this mess behind for his employees , should learn a thing or two from
    Kazuo Inamori , Japan Airlines, CEO .

Check Video link below :

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...70&pnref=story

Japan Airlines' CEO pays himself less than the pilots, takes the bus to work

http://boingboing.net/2011/02/25/japan-airlines-ceo-p.html

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

And does WM have high employee morale ? ..they care even less than Zellers staff , but they are still flourishing aren't they ?

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    If my local Target's had hired more Zellers staff, they would have gone out of business even quicker IMO

Zellers had low employee morale for years, they did not give a ****, many staff (not all obviously) were rude and outwardly didn't care. Target were right not to hire those people and one of the things most people liked about Target was the friendly & helpful staff.

HBC were closing Zellers whether Target bought the leases or not, that just helped them make the decision.

As far as Tim Hortons, they are merging with BK and making one head office. It makes business sense to streamline workers in certain depts. There is no need for two sets of IT people or accounting people etc. Some BK workers at their Cdn HQ also lost their jobs when it was decided that the Timmies people were better at it - I know someone who got severance, but that doesn't make for big news. There is no need for them to streamline the stores which are largely franchised/run on a district level since there is no overlap with BK. It is not a matter of minimum wage, just a streamlining decision that was made clear when the takeover was announced.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Thanks for clarification - my apologies.. Can see why the moral is so low at stores.. [QUOTE=annedougherty;6303139]
    Only was was initially reported on news - haven't delved in to it any more than that.. News said employess were getting 16 weeks each - which is much more than law requires -

It is 16 weeks working notice. If you work until May 16th, you get the pleasure of getting paid for it. That is the "severance." If one is deemed unnecessary prior to that, they will continue to be paid until May 16th. No one knows if or when that will happen.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    And does WM have high employee morale ? ..they care even less than Zellers staff , but they are still flourishing aren't they ?
    I don't know about everyone but I have a friend who works in the electronics section and he loves it at WM. Shocked the heck out of me.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I don't know who is saying zellers was "great".. It was a nightmare to shop at and I've said so many times. I merely said that the "sell" to the public was that another brand was going to come in and takeover what was known to be crappy shopping experience and now, here we are - still stuck with what? Walmart? I loved target shopping and am really going to miss it.. I'd rather petition for "no walmart" shopping and maybe walmart would clean it up a little.. It's filthy there..

P.S. Last comment off topic.. My local walmart the cashiers wear latex gloves .. I don't know why but it doesn't make things feel healthy..

Quote Originally Posted by solace76 View Post
    As it's been said many times...Zellers would have closed anyway. Do you think it was some sort of hostile takeover and HBC said "ok take them"? HBC wanted to drop their failing brand. Where were all these people who were saying how great Zellers was when their stores were just as empty as Target was but dirtier and without customer service? Now I know my grandma doesn't use a computer, so who else was shopping there? Especially in the bigger metro areas? If Target didn't buy the leases, another company or many companies would have. Target just bought out the leases not the business.

If you want to shop at Zellers, there are still a few open, still owned and operated by HBC. There is one in Surrey/White Rock for instance. But I'll warn you, it's not the 80's/early 90's there anymore.
    Last edited by LisaLisaBoBisa; Mon, Feb 9th, 2015 at 01:07 PM.

Still keeping the faith SillyLoocie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Remember we are talking about people. They are not all being handed a 16 week cheque when the doors close for the final time. Very few people will see their severance paid out that way. My son will probably get 2 weeks pay. ( He has been there just going on 2 years).

Target owes so much money. For instance, they stiffed Chapman's Ice Cream for thousands of dollars & who knows how many other suppliers are owed money.

I have the inkling that as this fiasco unfolds we are going to learn even more about sneaky closemouthed goings on. There has to be more to this story.

I wish all the Target employees the Luck of the Irish when it comes to getting re-established in a new line of work or that pesky business of retail.

Out of curiosity why is this a Zeller's-Target war & how do the lowly employees fit into the scenario?

It was so much more simple when you either shopped at Simpson's or Eaton's.

Have a brilliant kind of day everyone & keep the faith.

Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information