User Tag List

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

BTW , lot of people don't know that. But Canadian Tire had also made a disastrous foray into USA in the 1980's , and lost lot of money & beat a hasty retreat.
    I don't think Tim Hortons , US loactions are doing that great either. They are just doing so so.

$300 million loss in the 1980's is probably $ 3 billion loss in todays money..lol..with interest & inflation

A brief history below :

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categorie...us-market.html

By the early 1980s Canadian Tire has run out of room to expand, and takes its tried-and-true business formula into the U.S. It buys a chain of Whites stores in Texas, but soon finds obstacles as big as the state itself. Three years later, Canadian Tire has lost over $300 million on its American adventure. Worse, 19 disillusioned dealers who came south to start their own stores band together and sue the corporation for $400 million.
    By 1985 Canadian Tire cuts its losses and sells the entire division, and soon after fires CEO Dean Muncaster. In this 1985 CBC-TV clip from Venture, Houston economics expert Stewart Olsen says Canadian Tire simply got lost in the crowd.

Canadian Tire's mistaken leap into the U.S.

Since its origins as a family company in 1922, Canadian Tire has become a national icon and a handyman's addiction. The company showed a year-end profit for over 60 years, but a disastrous foray into the U.S. in the 1980s put the corporation on shaky financial ground. Nasty family bickering also threatened to tear the empire apart. CBC Digital Archives takes a look at Canadian Tire's turbulent years, when loyal customers and innovation paved the road to rebirth.
    Silk, Decaf and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Canada is not US . Yes we speak , English over here & have the same values & principles , but we are not the 51st state of US.

Targets arrogance & underestimation of Canadians cost them. They just took us for granted.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

An interviewer asked me yesterday where I would shop from now on and honestly I have no idea.

Our city doesn't have much competition. With Target leaving, it'll only be Wal-Mart. We don't even have an RCSS. I hate our WM, so I'm guessing I'll be breaking up my shopping to a few different stores.

I can understand that some people don't shop at Target but why be happy they are leaving? I don't get that frame of mind. If you don't like the store, don't shop there. Why are you happy people are losing jobs, or that WM is losing their biggest competitor?

I'm sad to see Target go (EXTREMELY sad), but at this point I think I'm more sad at some of the comments I've read (not necessarily on SC, but local news blogs, fb, etc).

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    An interviewer asked me yesterday where I would shop from now on and honestly I have no idea.

Our city doesn't have much competition. With Target leaving, it'll only be Wal-Mart. We don't even have an RCSS. I hate our WM, so I'm guessing I'll be breaking up my shopping to a few different stores.

I can understand that some people don't shop at Target but why be happy they are leaving? I don't get that frame of mind. If you don't like the store, don't shop there. Why are you happy people are losing jobs, or that WM is losing their biggest competitor?

I'm sad to see Target go (EXTREMELY sad), but at this point I think I'm more sad at some of the comments I've read (not necessarily on SC, but local news blogs, fb, etc).
    I know! I was wondering the same.

I also wonder where I'll be able to find nice stuff at great prices. Some stores are actually far away from me and driving there defeats the purpose of saving money...

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Some of the comments are disgusting. They say far more about the mouth they are coming out of than Target.

Me, I will be giving most of my dollars to Loblaws through their various banners.
    kerrylj, Patty Smyth, Silk and 7 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cocovanilla View Post

I also wonder where I'll be able to find nice stuff at great prices. Some stores are actually far away from me and driving there defeats the purpose of saving money...
    I will drive to RCSS although it is probably the farthest store from me, and do most of my shopping there.
    thriftygranny likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Canada is not US . Yes we speak , English over here & have the same values & principles , but we are not the 51st state of US.

Targets arrogance & underestimation of Canadians cost them. They just took us for granted.
    Explain, not getting why you think we were underestimated.If anything they overestimated us, they actually thought that customer service was key and we would want that, apparently Canadians prefer shopping in Walmart in their PJ's in a filthy store with indifferent staff, because at the end of the day that is what Canadians chose to do.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sad day....

Sad day for Sony too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cocovanilla View Post

It will definitely change my shopping habits.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

i have been really surprised by the nasty comments as well,, disappointed in the human race once again!!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:17 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    Some of the comments are disgusting. They say far more about the mouth they are coming out of than Target.

Me, I will be giving most of my dollars to Loblaws through their various banners.
    So true! I especially have been scratching my head about the comments that state" I haven't been to Target, good riddance". Thank you for your informed opinion based on absolutely zero facts!!
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Fri, Jan 16th, 2015 at 12:29 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Less competition is a bad thing for all of us. This is win win for Weston and Walmart.

Loosing a job is never easy no matter what you do.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Strange. My expériences at Target were always negative. The shelves were empty, problems with couponing and the staff werent exactly forthcoming with information, including telling me that they didnt know where items were stocked. No Wonder the store was always empty.

I really do feel for all the people who are losing their jobs. It willbe extremely hard to find other full-time and/or part-time jobs.
    JadeAngel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post

I've noticed reading through comments on various sites about the closing that the people who are saying nasty things about Target haven't been to their store since they opened(which yes wasn't all the great), but honestly who ever goes into Walmart and is able to find everything on their list? They have stock issues, non existent customer service, the store is always dirty, prices are going up and the quality is going down, and there's rarely anything on clearance that hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a year(other than seasonal). And NO ONE is complaining how Walmart doesn't sell the same stuff as they do in the States or that the prices are lower.
    I really wish Target would have stuck it out a few more years, or even just closed the stores that weren't doing well.
    Patty Smyth, Silk, barbis9 and 6 others like this.

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information