• 1 Post By cath007
  • 1 Post By K8's Fate
  • 2 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By cath007
  • 2 Post By VeeVee

Thread: To Root Canal or not to Root Canal? That is the question

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I'm trying to decide between a root canal or just to pull the darn tooth out. My dentist's office is not very forthcoming with answers. They just keep repeating about how their priority is to save the tooth. (It translates in my head to "our priority is up-sell and make the most money".

I suffered through months of pain trying to save up the money for the root canal and now when I call to make the appointment they decide to mention that it's going to be an extra $1,000 for the crown. WTF???

The tooth is the 1st one next to the canine. The Canadian Dental Association website says that usually only molars or bicuspids need crowns, which this tooth is not. So why is my dentist insisting on a crown? Since most of the tooth is intact, why isn't a permanent filling good enough? They're trying to tell me that with a filling the tooth will crack - "sooner rather than later". Am I maybe dealing with a crappy dentist who has a bad record of success?

So now I'm thinking I might as well just get it yanked and put the money I've saved towards the cost of a bridge.

Anyone willing to impart some free expert advice??
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Not so much expert advise as personal experience.... My dentist told me that I needed a crown on one of my teeth, he said that it would probably break soon.. I put it off and put it off and sure enough it broke, luckily there was enough left so he could still put that crown on it

Your crown is so expensive though! I've had a couple done, they were $800 each... I don't remember if I had to pay for my root canal or not, it might have been covered - it was a long time ago and the drugs they gave me to relax during the procedure were really good.. lol

Good luck

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good question.I can say my dentist insist to have a root canal one time and my dentist say I will not support the treatment.And they are chance the canal root toth will not last....yeah same dentist say it was just a tiny carried tooth .....at the beginning and after you want to make me a cannal root,,because you have not exprime yourself correctly.So for 100$ insteand than 1000$ and not so sure result...I decide to let extract the tooth.And I have another one you have been the same thing...and have a not a crown like they suggested because it is dispensive and i AM still alive lol...Dentist dont pu their mind thinking of our budget unfortunatly...maybe if you have a dentist who have money plan financment...example 100$ per month for 1 year it can be ok....hope that help you...even if I would have this money,its is freaking dispensive.
    ssbean likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I've had three root canals. All were because of broken teeth.

The first was a Christmas gift from my parents including the crown! This was before I had dental coverage.

The last two were done recently. I've had a lot of dental work done this year (2 root canals, 3 cleanings, 2 cavities, and a gum graft). So I'm waiting until January for them to put on the crowns, as I think I've maxed out my insurance this year. Ask if you can wait a few months for your crowns too!

It's a lot of money, but my opinion is that it's worth it.

I'll spare my root canal horror stories though, until after yours are complete!

Oh, but if your dentist ever says you need a gum graft....don't do it!! They're sooooo painful and it's a long recovery!
    Last edited by K8's Fate; Thu, Aug 23rd, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    ssbean likes this.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have had only one root canal, and thankfully I have insurance coverage so didn't have to worry about the financial pain. But IMO, root canals have a bad rap for being very painful, and in my case anyhow, it just wasn't true. I've had fillings that were worse.

K8's Fate, is the gum graft the same as 'crown lengthening'? I've been advised to have that done, but have been putting it off because I'm scared!

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    K8's Fate, is the gum graft the same as 'crown lengthening'? I've been advised to have that done, but have been putting it off because I'm scared!
    I haven't heard the term crown lengthening before. For my gum graft the periodontist cut a chuck of skin from the upper part of my mouth (on the palette), and stitched it onto my gums where it was starting to recede. It was pretty awful, and painful for weeks!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Yow! For me, I have a tooth that is mostly filling, not much tooth left. Bits of it have been breaking off for years, but not enough to even cause the dentist alarm. My understanding is, it involves removing some gum to expose more tooth to attach the crown to. Sounds horrifying to me!
    Last edited by Zonny; Thu, Aug 23rd, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Yow! For me, I have a tooth that is mostly filling, not much tooth left. Bits of it have been breaking off for years, but not enough to even cause the dentist alarm. My understanding is, it involves removing some gum to expose more tooth to attach the crown to. Sounds horrifying to me!
    Ouch!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It depends on so many things - your age, the state of your teeth, etc.

Twice (different times) I opted for pulpotomy, twice they failed and had to get the teeth out anyway.

For a few others, had root canal suggested, but dentist totally understood once we discussed whether it was an okay place to not have a tooth because of bite, etc. I've had the teeth pulled.

I've heard horror stories about root canals, especially when people go through so much to have them - the pain and expense, then they don't work out.
    Mind you, I'm an "anti-dentite" (thanks, Kramer!) to begin with, so it's not something I can think of even doing, unless it was absolutely necessary.

(No, I don't look like a hillbilly with my missing teeth! LOL!)
    ssbean and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by K8's Fate View Post
    I haven't heard the term crown lengthening before. For my gum graft the periodontist cut a chuck of skin from the upper part of my mouth (on the palette), and stitched it onto my gums where it was starting to recede. It was pretty awful, and painful for weeks!
    What is a ''gum graft'' and you are very lucky to have a dental plan now...I dream for it later...but some things are not possible to wait until then
    ssbean likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

I had a root canal a few years ago. Like Blazing Driver it was the tooth next to the canine. At the time I had benefits to cover 80% of the root canal but not the crown. The dentist told me that I would need a crown on this tooth. My benefits didn't cover the crown. It was costly but I think worth it. I was terrified of having the root canal but it wasn't that bad. For some reason the tooth had an extra nerve. I guess that is rare and the dentist was all excited. He even took a few pics to show the staff.

I agree with K8's Fate about the gum graft. That was not a fun experience.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I just had a 2 root canals done on the same day..both on my upper front teeth , I was hit in the face playing baseball as a child...both teeth were hanging from the gums but my dentist manage to save them, fast forward 18 years and I was getting excruciating pain every time I drank hot or cold so step 1 was a root canal and if that didn't work both teeth had to be removed. Thankfully it worked. I was expecting so much pain, bc everyone kept saying how bad root canals were...I was eating 4 hours after lol pain for maybe an hour nothing major and almost a year and everything is looking great.
    I am lucky bc both BF and I have benefits and we share, what mine doesn't cover, his benefits do so I didn't have to pay for anything. After about 2 months I went to my regular dentist and he filled both teeth with regular filling.
    BlazingDriver and ssbean like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Root Canal. I say only pull the tooth if you need too!

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

You have to be careful with root canals as they can cause systemic infection that is tough to get rid of.

Thread Information