4 (100%)

Name:  04-17-2015.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  82.5 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    DANGER

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't remember what age, but I got 35 cents a week. A movie was 25 cents and popcorn was 10 cents - so that was one way that money could go. Otherwise, chips and chocolate bars were 10 cents at the store, popsicles were seven cents.

I started babysitting at 10, and was getting 35 cents an hour, so I imagine my allowance probably ended then.

I started working at the library when I was 12, making minimum wage of $2.25/hr.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I never received an allowance from my parents. There were chores you were just expected to do without compensation because you were a member of the family. Having said that, they did give us money for extras when we really wanted something.

At 15 I got my first job (pretty sure minimum wage was $6.85 back then) and used that money to buy what I wanted.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I never received an allowance from my parents. There were chores you were just expected to do without compensation because you were a member of the family. Having said that, they did give us money for extras when we really wanted something.

At 15 I got my first job (pretty sure minimum wage was $6.85 back then) and used that money to buy what I wanted.
    same here
    no allowance
    we were told, " anything you need, we will provide"
    babysitting, but they chose the homes and only Friday or Saturday evening. After one babysitting incidence where I was driven home by a drunk father, parents were more careful.

worked from age 15 during the summer and had to save all the money for post secondary (parents did not pay for post secondary -- parents paid for occasional TTC pass or GO pass)
    was not allowed to work during school because, "school is your job and your grades are your payment"

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Never got an allowance as a kid but that wasn't because my parents didn't give me the option, I just never did my chores consistently to earn one no but seriously we didn't get one because there just wasn't any money for it.

I did the usual babysitting when I was younger to take the burden off my parents for when I wanted fun money. Then I worked a mall job and then CT. Yay

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

no allowance, there was no money for that nonsense. I moved out at 17 and started working full time, end of story.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post

Agreed with the concept - we didn't get allowance for chores or grades (as some families did, too), and we did the same for our son when he was young.
    It was to teach money management and budgeting, and it sure worked!

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

There was no allowance....but I got basically whatever I wanted

there are chores here with my kids that are just expected, DS just finished his first year of university, that he paid for himself, not that we couldn't afford to, but, for the simple reason we as parents feel too many young people feel money just falls freely into their hands, he's the same, he works two jobs, and on pay day, he doesn't know how fast to spend it....but, we hope that this way he will hopefully understand that he has to prioritize his money...he also has a car, and auto insurance...so he really has to budget....hopefully it will all pay off in the long run
    ....just be happy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-we never got allowance -just a bit of change money for the corner store -we had chores too the dishes , making beds ,garbage etc my brother always tried to weasel out of the dishes thou
    i was babysitting at age 11-so opened a bank account at age 12 and saved half of what I made or even more
    -we didnt give our kids allowance they both babysat him and her at age 12 -thy had bits of spending money-but as they got a bit older like 13 -for example if they wanted 90.00 jeans they had to pay half

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -for example if they wanted 90.00 jeans they had to pay half
    when I wanted the latest look for back to school, was allowed to take some money from the last pay check of the summer
    funny, when it was my hard earned money, I looked around for deals, and bought the latest look in October, not September, because then it was on sale
    beckie.c and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No allowance in my house, my parents both worked just to feed my 3 brothers and my sister. They had a mortgage and lots of bills so we had to make our own way to get the extras. We all did chores around the house and thinking back were thankful for what we had. My parents didn't give us a lot but Christmas was always a big event and they didn't spare anything to make all of us happy. I had a part time job at 15 so I could get the extras i wanted. Life was great then.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Received lunch money during elementary/secondary school years. Earned my own spending money during high school years working in a popular restaurant in town. Dat's all.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

No allowance growing up. Got my first job at 16 and started paying for my bus pass, school stuff etc.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

We Started giving an allowance for chores done but somehow that didnt work out. So we stopped it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    183 (100%)

We didn't get allowance as kids either .... it was expected that we each had a weekly/daily task .... dishes/vacumning/bathroom cleanup/meal prep/lawn .... both parents worked and with 4 kids always lots to do; if we were going camping - we each got a bit of coin that could be spent at the store on a bag of candy; ..... at age 12/13 I did babysitting -in the neighbourhood - parents knew where I was - didn't need to be driven there or home..... that was back when you got $1/hr for sitting (and that was considered decent )

With our DS .... he does the vacumning --- has always helped out with either inside or outside chores - but not for money .... He has had odd jobs and always has had some funds in his bank (work, birthdays etc) to put towards larger purchases - new bike, computer stuff -- we've always insisted with the larger ticket stuff - he pays a portion - sometimes half. That way there is a buy-in that he needs to look after it. For the most part it's worked. If he had been a kid that always wanted "brand name" clothes shoes etc - we might have changed how we handled it. If we had said you'll get $10 each week for doing x,y,z - he would have just said I don't need it..... As part of a family and being a member in a house - you need to contribute to getting stuff done - imho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information